Does anyone here commute to work by bike?

Do you commute to work by bike?
Yes, once or twice a week pending on weather, and quantity of work. Trying to get it up to three times a week.
How far is your ride?
17.5 miles one way, with some minor hills
How long does it take you?
Ride time is around 62 minutes. (Average 16+ mph.) Again depending on how tired my legs are...
Do you slow up traffic and annoy drivers going to work?
At times when the roads narrows down, but the cars are usually heading into a red traffic light...
Do you end up smelling at work or can you change and shower?
I work at a university, the Sports Complex has showers. I bring my clothes in on the days that I drive.
Have you ever been late?
I also work in academia... :cool:

Commuting to work on a bike is the best thing ever. My commute is about 15 miles each way and it's always the highlight of my day; I can't imagine people in cars can ever say the same thing. I sometimes feel sorry for those who look at me like I'm the one who's crazy. They have no idea what they're missing. It wakes me up and get's my blood flowing in the morning and it's a great way to wind down the day and leave work behind in the evening. As far as being in traffic, I sometimes go way out of my way just to stay out of traffic just because I don't trust people in cars; and I've always thought it was a ridiculous notion anyway that a bike would slow down traffic.

I have 50,000 commute miles logged. Currently I ride 14 miles home after work, before work 4 miles to train so I don't smell too bad. Current employer has no shower room.
Best ideas come riding that bike. Choose quieter roads even if distance longer to reduce/avoid injury from traffic. My only injury was road rash caused by an impatient motorist whose honking frightened me into a crash.

I am (fortunately) Northern California resident where weather and bike awareness are very good. Just do it!:)

JTE83 said:
Do you commute to work by bike? How far is your ride? How long does it take you? Do you slow up traffic and annoy drivers going to work? Do you end up smelling at work or can you change and shower? Have you ever been late?

I just got hired for a job that's 16 miles away from me. I guess I could bike & drive, but I never tried it before. It would be an excellent daily workout.

I commute 1.67miles to work almost daily I get there in 5 minutes 51 seconds:cool: if I push it and the Lays potato chip truck doesn't cut me off coming down the hill. On those record breaking days when it is hot I need to get into my air conditioned office immediately and just cool off as I check my email... Including the walk from the parking lot when I take the van it is faster than driving because I bring the bike right inside. A second application of deoderant after lunch time is sometimes needed because my job is 50% physical work and 50% administrative so it isn't just the bike riding. I was late once when I got a flat using my mountain bike and I filled the tire before I put it back on which forced me to deflate it mount it and fill it again arghhh! Only by a few minutes though I ussually am way ahead of schedule. I haven't filled the tank on my van in 3 months that was back in the days when I could afford gas:rolleyes:... I don't think I am offending any drivers but when they pass me only to be stuck in a traffic jam and I continue on passed and they never catch up again it probably is upsetting to think they could get there faster without burning gas.

huhenio said:
so JTE83 ..... are you commuting on your bike or not?

The streets near my workplace are 2 to 3 lane suburban streets and I could get run over by a car that's changing lanes. So if I did bike to work I would bike about 14 miles then drive my car in those fast streets.

But I'm not biking to work yet because I found out that I can get a 1.5 hr workout after work and do about 28 miles - that's ok for me. Then I do a 37 to 54 mile workout on the weekends.

Right now I'm a temp to perm worker so I can't risk doing anything bad. Hour are flex time ! Show up between 7:30 to 8:30 and leave between 4:45 to 5:30 or so.

How far is your ride?

14km each way - I cycle almost everyday.

23 - 35 (road bike). 30 - 45 (mtb)

Not significantly

Shower, shave and change @ work

Have you ever been late?

Not really.

It would be an excellent daily workout.

Yep.

How far is your ride?

12 mile each way

55-65 miuntes (mtb w/slicks)

No, I usually try and put the hammer down in busy traffic to keep up
but I'm sure I annoy drivers sometimes

Full Shower and change @ work

Have you ever been late?

Always, but it has nothing to do with my commute.

It IS an excellent daily workout.

My BMW motorcycle has been in the shop for 3 weeks so I dusted off and tuned up my ol' stumpy, slapped on some slicks and haven't looked back in 3 weeks and counting. May pickup a Cannondale badboy ultra this weekend (?) The transition from moto to bicycle commute has been very smooth.