Does anyone here know about Italian made racing bicycles??

NPV

Feb 22, 2010
I got a racing/street bicycle from the 70s. Trying to research it to figure its value. The wheels and tires, pedals, and seat are NOT original but the frame, gears, and pedal lever cranks are. Hand made in Italy.

Does the brand Campagnolo ring a bell for the gearing? Stronglight? Frame is Atala milano. Handlebars Cinelli

Wheels are Sovos Weinmann USA.

Can someone interested or otherwise knowledgeable help me out here. Shoot me a PM or something and I can send pics by email. A guy at a bike shop once told me years ago that it would bring $2000. Know idea tho. It had "Look" pedals originally that I sold on ebay, now just Specialized pedals

thanks

Lots of bikes were handmade in Italy, France and England before the mid-70s, from garden-variety to expensive. The fact that so many were produced tends to keep the value down, as there are only so many collectors looking. If the bike were all original, in perfect unrestored condition, and a famous brand like Colnago or DeRosa, suppose it could be valuable. If it was ridden by a top pro in the Giro, and you had the documentation, that would be even better.

Have never heard of the "Atala milano" brand, so I could be way off base here, but it sounds like you've got a rather ordinary old bike. For comparison, I sold two all-original French bikes last year from the 70s. The Peugeot went for $200, the Jeunet $150.

It looks very much like this, and this is an Atala bike as well.

atalabeforet6.jpg

NPV said:
I got a racing/street bicycle from the 70s. Trying to research it to figure its value. The wheels and tires, pedals, and seat are NOT original but the frame, gears, and pedal lever cranks are. Hand made in Italy.

Does the brand Campagnolo ring a bell for the gearing? Stronglight? Frame is Atala milano. Handlebars Cinelli

Wheels are Sovos Weinmann USA.

Can someone interested or otherwise knowledgeable help me out here. Shoot me a PM or something and I can send pics by email. A guy at a bike shop once told me years ago that it would bring $2000. Know idea tho. It had "Look" pedals originally that I sold on ebay, now just Specialized pedals
Some Atala frames are very highly regarded ... but, I forget why, now -- check the CLASSIC RENDEZVOUS site.

Regardless, STOP pulling parts off the bike ... particularly, if you are planning on reselling it.

To state the obvious, the better the condition, the greater its value.

Why don't you attach some pics in this thread?

NPV said:

thanks

Atala was a well known builder, Milano is just the Italian city where they come from, they were definitively racing bikes at the time.

... and yes, Campagnolo rings one bell or two... ;)

Hey, thats really a fancy lugged frame; the fish-mouthed chromed stays are very cool. Agree with alfeng that it's worth further research as it may be worth something to the right collector or vintage rebuilder who has the "correct" seat, wheels and pedals.

There's a Classic and Vintage forum over at BikeForums.net. They will be happy to help you ID your bike, but the first thing they'll tell you is that without a photo the bike doesn't exist. Give us something to work with--post some photos.