Does anyone here ride alot of BMX?

mopar

Jan 21, 2006
I'd like to say HI to all those on here that ride BMX. I think it's great that you do, I've been in it since I was 2 years old.

I used to ride a lot of bmx mainly to do bmx freestyle. This was also my transportation sort of during high school. Rode a 1983 Hutch Pro racing bike modified for freestyle. Got an 87 Haro Master but it got stolen. Freestyled into the 90's, and only had my Hutch during those years. Then the modern bmx bike itch hit me in 2000 and I bought a Diamondback Venom (put Spin wheels on it), a custom PK Ripper, a Shcwinn Powermatic Mag, and a Univega Super G that I was planning to modify into a freestyle bike but never did. Never got good in the latest rolling tricks, I only know old school tricks. And nowadays I don't like any of the modern bmx bikes being sold because they are overbuilt and too heavy. If I had to buy a bike I would go old school on ebay preferably a Hutch Trickstar (the best freestyle bike). I also bought an 88 Haro Master from ebay.

Well, back in 2003 I decide to bike to lose weight. That's when I bought my 2nd road bike (1st college bike was sold off) and road biked to lose weight. Loved the speed of road bikes and now I haven't touched my bmx bikes in ages. I only ride them occasionally to try a trick sometimes. Now I'm a road biker with 6 road bikes.

By the way, do you know what happened to Haro and Diamondback? I don't see their bikes being sold anymore! They must have gone out of business. Do you have any info on their demise?

Bankruptcy I guess, I'm trying to get a Haro, I just redid my old Mongoose. I race it in my own club events. I like road bikes too, but I just haven't gotten around to them yet.

How many bmx bikes do you have and what are they exactly?

People don't post much bmx here. They do in other forums though. I think bmx is almsot dead especially freestyle because I don't ever see many guys freestyle on the Chicago Lakefront anymore.

JTE83 said:
By the way, do you know what happened to Haro and Diamondback? I don't see their bikes being sold anymore! They must have gone out of business. Do you have any info on their demise?

Nah you can still buy both here in Oz. In fact I bought me son his first decent quality BMX bike about 18 months ago .. a Diamondback. Nice bike, lots different to the early 80's race BMX bikes that I was familiar with.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
Nah you can still buy both here in Oz. In fact I bought me son his first decent quality BMX bike about 18 months ago .. a Diamondback. Nice bike, lots different to the early 80's race BMX bikes that I was familiar with.

--brett
Right now all I have is my old Mongoose, I had to sell my GT.

Well, maybe that old Mongoose is better than the new bikes out there! I thought Diamondback and Haro went out of business because they're not being sold at Danscomp.com -- my source for bmx parts. Thought this place had the best stuff. But found they exist through Google and when I looked at their 2007 bikes I didn't like what I saw. The 2007 Venom sucks, and my 2000 Venom is such a beauty. Haro sucks too. I hate all modern bmx bikes they all suck and I only wish for an old school Hutch Trickstar with old school parts.

Yeah, the 80's were so great for bmx.

Yeah, you said it. I actually almost landed a backflip this year (at age 13) on my mongoose. Great bike. I just repainted it. Color: primer. It is AWESOME LOOKING!!!

I used to ride about 5 years ago, gave it up got a road bike, then i got the itch to ride again, picked up a used WeThePeople early this year. It sucks cause i have to relearn everything. I still ride more road tho, the bmx is cross training lol.

Haro is still around and is still the biggest selling bmx brand, mirra did leave them to start his own mirraco brand distributed through trek. diamond back did go bust around 2001 i wanna say, but they are still around and trying to rebuild the brand. The new trend is smaller/newer brands like mirraco, integral(primo), and many more others. and of course dont forget about the emo scene kids with girl pants haha. As much as i hate the brand i like what Mongoose pro is doing... they spec there 400-500$ bikes with odyssey and snafu parts.

perhaps the Admin, should add a bmx section :)

JTE83 said:
Well, maybe that old Mongoose is better than the new bikes out there! I thought Diamondback and Haro went out of business because they're not being sold at Danscomp.com -- my source for bmx parts. Thought this place had the best stuff. But found they exist through Google and when I looked at their 2007 bikes I didn't like what I saw. The 2007 Venom sucks, and my 2000 Venom is such a beauty. Haro sucks too. I hate all modern bmx bikes they all suck and I only wish for an old school Hutch Trickstar with old school parts.

Yeah, the 80's were so great for bmx.

i had a 2000 venom or coulda been 1999 i dont remember all i know is it almost killed me when i cracked the frame
:D right at the back of the top tube cracked and the whole rear triangle bent up a few in. i only bunnyhopped off of an 8 stair about 1/2 a dozen times lol

Here's a pic of my 2000 Venom. Has really nice graphics and I added some cool stickers to it. It's my favorite modern bmx bike, and the Spin wheels are so low friction and fast! Modified it with alloy pegs, a Profile crank, and Spin wheels - the rest is stock. Total cost - $754.24

It seems like a real sturdy bike and it weighs 32.8 lbs. My 83 Hutch modded for freestyle weighs 25.6 lbs. My 1999 Univega Super G stock with 1 pc cranks weigh 23.6 lbs.

What kind of tricks did you do that broke the Venom?

I sometime do wanna do freestyle trick just for fun. Like I always wanted to do front wheel rolls for a far distance at maybe 10 mph.

JTE83 said:
Here's a pic of my 2000 Venom. Has really nice graphics and I added some cool stickers to it. It's my favorite modern bmx bike, and the Spin wheels are so low friction and fast! Modified it with alloy pegs, a Profile crank, and Spin wheels - the rest is stock. Total cost - $754.24

It seems like a real sturdy bike and it weighs 32.8 lbs. My 83 Hutch modded for freestyle weighs 25.6 lbs. My 1999 Univega Super G stock with 1 pc cranks weigh 23.6 lbs.

What kind of tricks did you do that broke the Venom?

I sometime do wanna do freestyle trick just for fun. Like I always wanted to do front wheel rolls for a far distance at maybe 10 mph.
I find all manuals to be quite hard. Anyways, take a look at my signature, THAT can kill you...actually it didn't hurt that bad.

What's a backflip?

And is it true that there is a fad going around were guys wear girls pants or jeans? I actually saw a guy trying on womens jeans at a Kohls with his girlfriend. The security thought he was trying to steal the pants though. I've never seen guys on the street wearing womens pants or jeans.

nice DB my venom was a 1999... the frame was a little less beefy, i just was bunnyhopping off of ledges and stairs and stuff. i had all after market parts on it i guess the frame wasnt up for the abuse, was a great bike tho.

JTE83 said:
What's a backflip?

And is it true that there is a fad going around were guys wear girls pants or jeans? I actually saw a guy trying on womens jeans at a Kohls with his girlfriend. The security thought he was trying to steal the pants though. I've never seen guys on the street wearing womens pants or jeans.
I wear bell-bottoms all the time, but I got them out of the guys aisle. If you pay attention to people walking on sidewalks, you might catch a few guys wearing bell-bottoms, but they won't be to...uh...woman'd up.

Backflip! Are you kidding me!? It's where you launch yourself into the air, lean back, do some more weight shifting, and go upside down in mid-air, and try to land on your wheels again. I advise none of you to try it, I know some of you won't listen to a kid like me, but DON'T try this. I'm still destined to land it by the age of 15, but the last time it didn't turn out so well, it didn't hurt that bad after a minute or two, but it can be severe.

I saw a backflip done of a ramp on a Props DVD. You can only do this trick of a ramp, right? Never from flat off the ground or has someone done this too?

Only off a ramp, I'm actually building a special one so I can pull it off. The highest bunny hop on a BMX is only like 4 feet, so it's probably not possible to shift your weight that fast.

I don't have a skate park that even ALLOWS bikes there, but a mulch pile and a sturdy ramp won't be so bad, I just have to rotate it fast...er.:D