Does anyone here use energy gels while riding?

judyd1

May 28, 2016
I was reading online about a recipe for making your own gel, since it can really add up if you use gel often. It's another form of fuel instead of sports or granola bars, and provides a quick source of energy especially when racing doesn't allow you many breaks to stop and eat. What are your favorite brands of energy gels? Or do you make your own?

I've never made my own.
I only use gels sparingly - for races mainly and occasionally for long rides when I'm running out of space in my pockets.
I've used whole range and currently using cheap High 5 ones from wiggle.

BBB

I have never personally had any, but I have to say that I am intrigued. I have heard of them but I have yet to see any or even really know what they are, but when it comes to convenient ways to power up quickly I am always interested in learning about new ways. I enjoy the energy bars and the granola bars, but even those can get a little repetitive and something new is always welcome for me. I will have to look around and keep my eyes open for some of these, so thanks for the heads up @judyd1

One of the recipes I ran across uses honey plus molasses, both high in nutrients, flavor, and calories. But what I like about it is that it's natural. I always worry about manufactured foods, because you never know what additives they've included to make it last longer on the shelf. Okay, the recipe is as follows:

Mix 4 ounces of raw honey, one tablespoon organic black strap molasses, 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, and one to two tablespoons of water. This recipe will approximately fill a 6-ounce container or flask.

Interesting; I have never used the gels before but I hear that they are really full of energy and flavor as well. I like @judyd1 's recipe because that sounds like something that I would actually enjoy. I'd probably make it in a spread and use it for all kinds of things to be totally honest. I know the gels can be expensive so learning to make it at home would definitely help cut down the costs.

Gels are more calories than anything. Good for a boost, but don't have enough salts to replenish what is lost in sweat. I'd suggest a sports drink (need water with gels anyways).

I have never used gels but had a friend of mine that used them quit heavily. He would have one before every race that he did. They seemed to be good for short races and you could see him have difficultly if the race was too long.

I have never used gels but had a friend of mine that used them quit heavily. He would have one before every race that he did. They seemed to be good for short races and you could see him have difficultly if the race was too long.
I have never used the energy gels but I have used several energy bars. In my opinion, energy bars are better than the energy gels because only one energy bar is enough to provide the required energy for the entire cycling session. That's the reason why I would recommend you the energy bars instead of the gels.

Reactions: SirJoe
I have never used the energy gels but I have used several energy bars. In my opinion, energy bars are better than the energy gels because only one energy bar is enough to provide the required energy for the entire cycling session. That's the reason why I would recommend you the energy bars instead of the gels.
Thanks, I haven't had them yet and I was still nursing the idea of using them. I think that you are right, gels might give you energy instantly but I doubt that energy will last very long.

Gels are more calories than anything. Good for a boost, but don't have enough salts to replenish what is lost in sweat. I'd suggest a sports drink (need water with gels anyways).
Yes, I agree with you. The energy drinks are the better option. Most of the gels don't work effectively. I have tried almost every energy product and I found out that the energy drinks are the best one and you should take them instead of the energy gels and certain foods for energy.

I've only used them when I get them for free.

From time to time, I use a shot or two of honey for a sugar boost on rides exceeding a few hours.

I've only used them when I get them for free.

From time to time, I use a shot or two of honey for a sugar boost on rides exceeding a few hours.
I think that it's a better solution than those energy gels. Not only will you get the extra energy but also the other beneficial properties of honey.

I've never heard of an energy gel but I'm definitely going to be looking into them more. I'm more of an energy drink person but obviously those don't really go well with cycling. I did find a new product planning on trying though, it's called Pro Energy Towel. They're these little towels that are supposed to have smelling salts or something like that in them that are supposed to give you energy. I haven't tried them yet but when I do, I'll make sure to let everyone know if they're worth it or not!

Never heard of energy gels before, so I made a quick research. What I've read so far is that energy gels are meant to replenish carbohydrate stores (glycogen) that are depleted when running.

Each runner absorbs and processes carbohydrates at a different rate — some can feel the effect within three minutes while others might take up to 15 minutes. This variation in absorption rate has to do with how well your stomach reacts to the gel. When running hard, your body often diverts blood away from the digestive track to help your legs continue to move forward. Sometimes, however, your body shuts the stomach down completely while other times it just slows down. This is why it isn’t uncommon to see runners throw up fluids or gels right after ingesting them late in the race. Therefore, athletes begin taking gels relatively early in the race.

What are the long term effects associated with using energy gels? I have never used such gels before and I have no plan of using them. I fear using new products that have never been tested for long. Some of those products may be having long term effects that can be dangerous. I always eat a balanced diet so I may not need any drugs to boost my performance.

There is no need to monkey around with **** like energy gels. There are safer ways get the energy you need. Look for a solution in a pill bottle or a gel and you are doomed to failure.

Yeah, I used energy gels. Many of my cyclist friends use the energy gels while riding. They say me that it provides a lot of energy to them. Personally, I have not tried it yet but I really want to try it. I will definitely try it and I will surely write a review.

When I raced I used different energy supplement's during a race. Depending on the length of a road race you would have set areas to pick up food and fluids. I had a set diet and ate properly before, during, and after a race you still need to take in different forms of energy supplements, your not stopping for a full course meal to re-energize during a race.
Even know I stopped racing many years ago I still use different energy supplements, that over the years I have fine turned to meet my needs. If your just going out for a nice easy ride then I don't see a need for such gels, bloks, and the like. For me I'm on my bike 6 days a week weather permitting and go out to push myself because that's what I enjoy. So I use what works for me, and that doesn't mean it works for someone else.

This is the first time I've heard if an energy gel. I do use power bars, hydration drinks like infused waters and energy drinks, but I'm just an amateur hobbyist and I don't join races.