Does Anyone Keep Cycling In The Winter?

I keep cycling in the winter as long as its before the snow starts melting, having to pedal in watery and soft snow is the worst since is squishes around and really slows you down, not to mention very dangerous. Might want to consider tire tracks as well if you really want to keep cycling.

I used to do it all the time. I had special tyres just for winter and snow. They are normal but i use them only then so they have stripes and all that is necessary for snow. I just dress up good and make sure my head is protected because here in Serbia winters can be strong and cold. It never happened to me falling or causing an accident because i drive slower then usual and only when its dry, so while it is to cold for snow to start melting and making everybody miserable. It is a good and fulfilling experience. Also , trying to go off the road makes it a lot easier because cars have problems already with snow, the drivers do not need you under their wheels. The snow is enough. Ice is the big problem when you drive in winter but it is a problem only when iti is hidden under the snow. If not you can see it and just skip it or get off the bike and just walk over it.

Djordje87 said:
I used to do it all the time. I had special tyres just for winter and snow. They are normal but i use them only then so they have stripes and all that is necessary for snow. I just dress up good and make sure my head is protected because here in Serbia winters can be strong and cold. It never happened to me falling or causing an accident because i drive slower then usual and only when its dry, so while it is to cold for snow to start melting and making everybody miserable. It is a good and fulfilling experience. Also , trying to go off the road makes it a lot easier because cars have problems already with snow, the drivers do not need you under their wheels. The snow is enough. Ice is the big problem when you drive in winter but it is a problem only when iti is hidden under the snow. If not you can see it and just skip it or get off the bike and just walk over it.
Your point about ice - and black ice in particular - is one thing that probably does worry me about winter riding.

I did when I lived in warmer areas. Where I am now (I do plan to move rather soon to one of those warmer areas) winters can be harsh and sometimes it's impossible to ride for months because of the snow alone. I don't mind riding in the cold, why else do we have warm clothes? It's riding in the snow that's hard to pull off.

Djordje87 said:
Ice is a pretty big hazard when winter riding but it can be dealt with I've found.

Just don't go nuts and be extra cautious while going over it or over places where I suspect there may be ice. Only real trouble I've had with ice is when I had to navigate a hill with quite a big gradient. There was a lot of braking and low gear work during that segment.

limerickman said:
Your point about ice - and black ice in particular - is one thing that probably does worry me about winter riding.
it is a problem. You know those chains for the car tyres ? I always wandered if someone made similar for bicycles. If not i will make a patent. It sounds cool. Doesn't it? i never bothered to google but i am sure someone got that idea before me. If that is correct there is your solution.

N1TRO said:
Sure, as long as the weather holds. I'm not that bothered by cold, bought a nice full-face balaclava, plus some gloves and that's it. I just try to look for cleaner roads and if some snow comes along, we can manage that too. :)
I've got myself a neck skuff/scuff that does the job of keeping my face warm really well. I wear it whenever I go out in the cold and last winter I was pretty pleased to have it.

I had a balaclava before but I got really strange looks when I wore it and be honest I was getting a little worried someone might call the police with hints I'm up to no good and the like! I still get strange looks with the skuff/scuff pulled up around my neck covering my nose and mouth but hey, at least I'm warm :D

Volnix said:
Yes, I actually cycle more in the winter I think...

I also have a 6 km cycle path next to me, that is baby-free in the winter and I can go there and run suicides for like 30km...

Scandinavia? Copenhagen or... Oslo? :D

I cycled in the winter in Copenhagen... :) it was nice. :)
You seem to be quite bold and winter/cold resistant. :)
I do not think I would cycle in winter just because I am afraid of falling, especially on ice, again :/
But, I envy you and I believe you are just awesome for cycling in the snow, especially once you mentioned you cycled in Copenhagen in winter. Just outstanding, I have to say.
Are you a professional cyclist or you cycle for fun? :)

I guess if it is winter time, without snow, maybe with a bit of rain, one could be cycling around, but with snow, for me it is a big no-no. :D But, that is just me and my fear. :)

I do, but really keeping an eye out for frostbite.

I try to understand insulation and using thick face cream so the wind dont bite my hand a cheeks. Also these bicycle wear stuff you can get in the shops nowadays helping you to feel free and stretchy and still don't get hypothermia.

I think that we should avoid training in the harsh winter conditions and train indoors instead. Riding in harsh winter conditions can result to colds and other respiratory problems. I have always avoided that and I prefer training indoors instead.

9lines said:
I think that we should avoid training in the harsh winter conditions and train indoors instead. Riding in harsh winter conditions can result to colds and other respiratory problems. I have always avoided that and I prefer training indoors instead.
Umm... spending too much time indoors leads to far more illness. Colds and the flu are caused by communicable pathogens which are abundant indoors during the winter season.

Cold temperature by itself does not cause disease. Cold air can be hard for some to breathe, but this can be mitigated with a face mask, scarf or even a respirator.

I save the high intensity work for stationary / indoor sessions during the winter. Everything else is outside.

I do continue to cycle in the winter, except when it's raining a lot because that becomes dangerous. The temperatures where I live are not that low, so we don't have snow or ice often.

You bet I do!
Rode into work today at 4 degree weather (that's 38 in freedom units.)
I got a Norco beater for the winter, just starting to get it ready for the snow.
Mild this year though, first time in 100 years Buffalo NY has not yet received snow.

BikeBikeBikeBike said:
You bet I do!
Rode into work today at 4 degree weather (that's 38 in freedom units.)
I got a Norco beater for the winter, just starting to get it ready for the snow.
Mild this year though, first time in 100 years Buffalo NY has not yet received snow.
Strange. Up in the North of the UK and Scotland they are having quite a bit of snow, which is considered quite early for the time of year as it usually comes a little later in the year.

It's almost like a scale going up and down, kind of.

I just went cycling yesterday and it's great, sure it's cold, but the feeling of riding is superior to that. Plus, at the end of the ride the body is reinvigorated, like thanking me for taking it on a ride. :)

Another member here from the UK, and I'll continue to ride during winter also, as long as the weather isn't to extreme of course.

Recently the winters have just been cold and wet rather than snowy and icy so it doesn't cause to much of an issue.

I am also in North California and sometimes the winter can get really cold but never icy so I do not have to worry about preparing those winter gears but I still need to keep myself warm when I am cycling. Personally, I used winter gloves, hat that cover ears, and high neck jackets. I do not like scarves because they are messy and can get tangled if I let it fall. However, winter in North California is not really that harsh but I am really glad that I can bike all year long without worrying about bad snowstorm or black ice.

With winter I do think it's the ice that's the major problem, and while it can be tricky to ride in the snow, it is doable, especially if it's already fallen and been compacted