Does Anyone Keep Cycling In The Winter?

Until I'm able to afford a cyclo-cross for winter use, I'll do a lot of mountain biking during the winter. The weather is usually OK here in the UK, so I can get out on the road most days, but if not it's the mountain bike and a few trails to keep me fresh.

I have a really hard time with it. With the cold air in my lungs I just can't stand it for some reason. It makes me cough.

Big time sport here.
I got studs so I can ride the packed trails on the warmer days.
DSCF5890.JPG

Yesterday's ride (28°, 24 mile) on one of the paved paths along side the Parks Hwy.:
DSCF6224.JPG

Yes. Our main races are in Winter....weirdly, to match up with the Northern Hemisphere. Winter here in Auckland isn't too bad (bad enough) though.

I do consider training indoors during winter, I have never gone cycling outside. By training indoors, I am able to avoid common colds and pneumonia. It is also difficult to cycle on slippery paths when it has rained. That is why I completely avoid cycling during winter.

Winter is not too cold in Israel, but recently colder than usual. The shorter days are the main obstacle. When it gets too cold, frost becomes a risk too. In short, Id rather cycle shorter distances when rain might pour - stay reasonably close to home.

Attachments

• תמונה0223.jpg
    תמונה0223.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 19
We're having flooding in our country at the moment. We'e drowning in rain water.

Thank God for mudguards though!:)

Yeah, I ride all winter. I try to do at least 100 miles a week, but lately since SE Va. has had such a mild winter, I have been able to do 190 to 200 miles a week. Last week it snowed, which dropped my weekly mileage to only 72, but I was at least able to ride every 2 days, which didn't affect my fitness. I'm getting ready for a brevet of 200K in March so I have to pick up the mileage. Yesterday morning, I rode with 4 other guys, and at 24 degrees for our 8:00 AM start, we thought we would freeze. We couldn't feel our hands for awhile there, but our A/B pace soon got us well warmed up.

The Temperature here at my place is never too cold, so I do continue my training. I do tend to train less during harsh weather, but I never miss training and I enjoy doing it. The only problem is to find a place without snow so that you don't slip. I usually prefer training indoors if it's too harsh outside.

I avoid the rain, but I have no issues with the cold, as long as it's not extreme. So basically yeah, I do ride in the winter because I love it. :)

Yes, actually I mainly cycle in winter. I just can't for the life of me cycle in the summers. Winter is really pleasant for us in Indians. It never deeps below 6C and never go above 15C with no rains. Winter is the best time to do cycling here

Yeah, if you have a moderate winter it's certainly better to bike in the winter than in the hot summer, where we can die of heat on top of the bike...

I think the original question should have been maybe worded differently, as people have pointed out, winter means many different things depending on what part of the world your living in.

If the winters here in the UK didn't mean ice, gale force winds, rain, snow and freezing conditions then I'd probably carry on cycling through the winters aswell!

I think the original question should have been maybe worded differently, as people have pointed out, winter means many different things depending on what part of the world your living in.

If the winters here in the UK didn't mean ice, gale force winds, rain, snow and freezing conditions then I'd probably carry on cycling through the winters aswell!

Ha!

I'm not sure, I've been riding a little under a year and have ridden through the winter,but....This was a very mild one, temperatures were mostly mid 30's at the lowest and 40-60 degree days were frequent enough. Last week we hit 80 degrees here in NY and 70's the next day, both records. I have a hand condition were they turn yellow and go numb in extremely cold weather, mid 30's is usually my limit unless stress relief is paramount. I supplemented using rollers to my training for the extremely cold days, 30 minutes to an hour usually does the trick.

I'll find out when I have a real winter.

Oh that is when I shine. I have always loved the colder weather, and sure it is tough with the ice but if it is just cold or a little snow on the ground I get excited to go for a ride. We have some pretty good trails around here too about ten or fifteen minutes away that are very nice for some scenery that time of year too..one of my favorite spots and my favorite times.