Does Anyone Keep Cycling In The Winter?

If you are going to cycle in the winter, then it's obviously best to make sure you have the right clothes and equipment, and that's something I haven't got either.

Sure I've got attire for Sun, wind and rain, but when it comes to the ice and snow, not a chance. I'll stick to the spring, summer and autumn cycling, I'll have the winter season off!

Tough with the ice? I was never riding the bike with ice, seems pretty much impossible!

I always ride my bike through the winter, as it is my primary mean of transportation.
Luckily, my city is pretty efficient at salting the roads and clearing snow.
This year has been pretty awkward, as temperatures have been hovering right around the freezing points during most of January and February, meaning that the need for roads to salted has been consistent.
Unfortunately that also means my bike is looking worse than ever, and will need a thorough cleaning to make me ready for spring season.

I'm a fair weather rider for the most part...which makes winter riding not ideal. To be honest, it's not so much that I don't want to be in rain, but I don't like to get my bike and gear thrashed. However, I have a pain cave set up at home (Zwift, DVD, music, etc.), so I will spend some hours in there over the winter. Talking the entire winter off is tough...you just lose so much fitness.

Yes, I cycle year round. I work year round, groceries must be bought year round, dance classes happen year round. The only think that stops me is if there is frozen stuff on the road, then I have to walk, but that usually is messing things up for everyone driving cars too. In winter I just wear double gloves and boots and go. If it rains, so what, my coat will dry while I'm working.

Our roadrace season is in the Winter (to match with Northern Hemisphere - for those few that get to race there) so we have to train / ride through the Winter here.

Usually I cycle less during the winter, and I don't tend to cycle in the snow - but snow is fairly rare lately, with only a few days of snow a year. Last year I invested in proper winter gear, as I have to admit I made the mistake of wearing a fleece and sweating the year before, and made sure to have good lights all the time as darkness can creep in a lot earlier and without warning.

My country experiences a tropical climate all year round so it is usually always sunny. This means that seasons don't really affect my ability to cycle. So, yes I keep cycling in the winter.

My country experiences a tropical climate all year round so it is usually always sunny. This means that seasons don't really affect my ability to cycle. So, yes I keep cycling in the winter.

If your fortunate enough to live in that type of climate, then I guess the season won't affect you half as much when it comes to when you can and can't ride.

Here in the UK, while the winters aren't usually severe, they're cold enough to stop a lot of people from riding, and these days as I've got older, that includes me aswell unfortunately.

Even though I like the cold, in cases like this I must be grateful. I have been to the UK during the winter before and I doubt I would have the same answer as I do now if I lived there.

Yeah. Winter can't stop my riding as long as the roads are clear enough of snow to ride my bike and have a blast.

Whenever there isn't rain and I can, I go out with the bike no matter how cold it is. It's always great to ride.

To be honest, I really can't bare the cold, especially early in the morning and late in the evening...But the afternoon seems a bit warmer...

Actually, I live in Florida. A better question down here would be, does anyone keep cycling in the summer? In the winter it can get pretty cold, it's true, especially with the humidity, but the roads don't ice over or anything, and the sheer oppressive heat that we get in the summer is far more offputting and actively dangerous to cyclists.

I do cycle in the winter, even if it's a bit more awkward to do bundled up. It's easier than in the summer, where I beat the heat by shortening my cycling goals and supplementing them with swimming instead, biking down to the local YMCA so I can use their pool. The ride back and forth is still awful, but swimming is like a reward for making the trip and sticking to my goals every day!

To be honest, I really can't bare the cold, especially early in the morning and late in the evening...But the afternoon seems a bit warmer...

There are some people I know that are like you, they prefer not to bike than to get cold. Something I don't understand really. :p

I find it to be much more difficult to cycle in the summer months to be honest. Rain and fog are a year round thing where I live, but the heat is to much in the summer. I would rather compensate for the cold.

Yes, I prefer cycling in winter. Well, I hate summers and I feel comfortable to ride a bike when the temperature is below 25. It's just my opinion, though. You also get less sweat in winter. In my opinion, it's fun to ride a bicycle in winter. How many of you agree with me?

I find it to be much more difficult to cycle in the summer months to be honest. Rain and fog are a year round thing where I live, but the heat is to much in the summer. I would rather compensate for the cold.
That's exactly what I wanted to say. I find it really uncomfortable to ride my bicycle in summer months. I get too sweaty and that's why I hate it. The cool breezes during the winter months provide extra thrill while riding. That's why I love riding in winter.

If we think of it it's all a matter of habit. If we live in a moderately cold weather we feel a harder time in the summer and the opposite is also true.