Does Anyone Know a Good Painter?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rodney Kuehl, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Rodney Kuehl

    Rodney Kuehl Guest

    I've got one of the "new" Strada frames due in anyday so I need it painted. If I'm going to go thru
    all of this, I'm going to get a unique design. Done a few web searches and have found this company:

    http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/

    They have enough work to quote a 4-6 week turnaround not counting freight each way. Their photo
    gallery looks mighty cool. Any previous customers out there?

    Anyone out there know of a quality shop that can do metal flake or multi color on the east side of
    the Mississippi?

    TIA

    Rod Kuehl RANS V2 (black) Riverview, FL

    Tags:

  2. Jim C

    Jim C Guest

    This shop does the bikes for Barcroft. I have two Virginias in the house and the finish is
    excellent. One is a fade from yellow to red and the other is just metallic white. The shop is
    located in New York.

    http://www.northeastpaintworks.com/

    Jim

    "Rodney Kuehl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone out there know of a quality shop that can do metal flake or multi color on the east side of
    > the Mississippi?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rod Kuehl RANS V2 (black) Riverview, FL

  3. Strada.45

    Strada.45 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2003
  4. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    "Rodney Kuehl" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I've got one of the "new" Strada frames due in anyday so I need it painted. If I'm going to go
    > thru all of this, I'm going to get a unique design. Done a few web searches and have found this
    > company:
    >

    > http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/
    >
    > They have enough work to quote a 4-6 week turnaround not counting freight each way. Their photo
    > gallery looks mighty cool. Any previous customers out there?
    >
    > Anyone out there know of a quality shop that can do metal flake or multi color on the east side of
    > the Mississippi?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rod Kuehl RANS V2 (black) Riverview, FL

    Some nice work. WOnder why it's $60 to clearcoat a whole single frame but $100 to clearcoat
    over decals?

  5. Rodney Kuehl

    Rodney Kuehl Guest

    Thanks Strada45.. Actually, Mark is my dealer. He knows a shop that does nice single color work.

    I'm going to check out that motorcycle shop in St Pete being it's just over the bay from me. No
    matter what, both shops have 6 WEEKS OF WORK BACKED UP!! I'm in the wrong business!!

    Rod Kuehl RANS V2 Riverview, FL "Strada.45" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Try :
    >
    > Mark at 1-813-737-3001 www.poweroncycling.com
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://www.customflamepainting.com

  6. Don

    Don Guest

    Rodney, I hope you mean powder coating and not "painting" (wet coating). I recently had a Giro
    frameset done and was warned away from paint because it will not hold up to the seat clamp. Powder
    coating was definitely the preferred finish. You can search this forum and the Bacchetta owners
    forum on Yahoo to find out more. Good luck, Don

  7. Rodney Kuehl

    Rodney Kuehl Guest

    Thanks Don.

    You're the second person that has warned me about that. The folks in NY have their phones
    disconected so I'm leaning toward Spectrum in Colorado.

    I'm thinking 2 color with some funky flames or something. Of course I ride so damned fast none of
    the flames would appear in an action shot anyway. (Insert big laugh here).

    Sux to have a two month wait but that would be prime organized ride season around here anyway.

    Any other suggestions sure are welcome. This group can be so useful.

    Rod Kuehl RANS V2 Riverview, FL "Don" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Rodney, I hope you mean powder coating and not "painting" (wet coating). I recently had a Giro
    > frameset done and was warned away from paint because it will not hold up to the seat clamp. Powder
    > coating was definitely the preferred finish. You can search this forum and the Bacchetta owners
    > forum on Yahoo to find out more. Good luck, Don

  8. Billydean

    Billydean Guest

    I tried a powder coat with a business who did Motorcycle frames etc. The paint was good but they put
    a dent in the frame. I assume it was from something they used to clamp the frame while
    painting...but don't know. Didn't see the dent til I got it home. Just a warning to those who use a
    non-bicycle joint to get powder coating done.

  9. Strada.45

    Strada.45 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2003
    That's where I'm trying to get a custom Strada put together myself - as soon as I can sell the two Rans bents I have now.

    Mark at Power On Cycling is a good guy and as soon as we can sell the Rans bikes I'll be looking for a painter myself. Some of the stuff at Spectrum looks really nice but that's a long time to wait.

    Send me some pics of the before and after if you don't mind, and let me know what you find out and decide.

    Good luck, be careful and go ride.

    Steve

  10. Phil Wolfe

    Phil Wolfe Guest

    Rainbow Cycle Craft in Niwot Colorado does fantastic work. I have had 2 recumbents powdercoated by
    them and they came out flawless. Unfortunately I do not think they have a website, at least they
    didn't when I had my framesets

    done. If you are interested I could probably dig up there phone number. Good luck, Philip Wolfe

    Rodney Kuehl wrote:

    > I've got one of the "new" Strada frames due in anyday so I need it painted. If I'm going to go
    > thru all of this, I'm going to get a unique design. Done a few web searches and have found this
    > company:
    >
    > http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/
    >
    > They have enough work to quote a 4-6 week turnaround not counting freight each way. Their photo
    > gallery looks mighty cool. Any previous customers out there?
    >
    > Anyone out there know of a quality shop that can do metal flake or multi color on the east side of
    > the Mississippi?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rod Kuehl RANS V2 (black) Riverview, FL

  11. Rodney Kuehl

    Rodney Kuehl Guest

    Hi Philip!!

    Just a few minutes ago I sent my Bacchetta Strada frame out to Spectrum Powder Works in Colorado
    Springs. I got a lot of great referrals in this thread but it sure was hard getting someone to
    respond or even say this could be done in less than 2 months.

    All future Bacchetta frame buyers thank me now for being the test pilot. $$$ is a great way to say ,
    thank ya , thank ya very much.

    I'll post some pix. Or if it turns out real bad, I won't!!

    Rod Kuehl RANS V2 Nude Strada Riverview, FL

    "Phil Wolfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Rainbow Cycle Craft in Niwot Colorado does fantastic work. I have had 2 recumbents powdercoated by
    > them and they came out flawless. Unfortunately I do not think they have a website, at least they
    > didn't when I had my
    framesets

    > done. If you are interested I could probably dig up there phone number. Good luck, Philip Wolfe
    >
    > Rodney Kuehl wrote:
    >
    > > I've got one of the "new" Strada frames due in anyday so I need it
    painted.
    > > If I'm going to go thru all of this, I'm going to get a unique design.
    Done
    > > a few web searches and have found this company:
    > >
    > > http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/
    > >
    > > They have enough work to quote a 4-6 week turnaround not counting
    freight
    > > each way. Their photo gallery looks mighty cool. Any previous
    customers
    > > out there?
    > >
    > > Anyone out there know of a quality shop that can do metal flake or multi color on the east side
    > > of the Mississippi?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Rod Kuehl RANS V2 (black) Riverview, FL

  12. The C Man

    The C Man Guest

    > Rainbow Cycle Craft in Niwot Colorado does fantastic work. I have had 2 recumbents powdercoated by
    > them and they came out flawless.

    Cost?

  13. Don

    Don Guest

    Shipping cost? (from where)

    The time, shipping cost and uncertainty of what the heck color I was getting kept me local. How did
    you know what color you were really getting? Also, I needed a box since the box my Giro frame came
    in did not survive its first journey very well.

    I will post some pics if my friend with the digital camera ever sends them to me. Don

    The C Man <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Rainbow Cycle Craft in Niwot Colorado does fantastic work. I have had 2 recumbents powdercoated
    > > by them and they came out flawless.
    >
    > Cost?

  14. Don

    Don Guest

  15. Rodney Kuehl

    Rodney Kuehl Guest

  16. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks Rodney, You should see it up close and personal in sunlight. The two-part coating gives it
    lots of depth and shine. The picture does not capture it.

    Unfortunately, I am finding that it scratches easily. The cables that run along the top of the main
    tube must move up and down while I am riding. They are scratching it (very faintly so far) with only
    130 miles on the bike. The cables are covered with teflon tubing. It would be worse if the cables
    were bare metal.

    "Rodney Kuehl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Looks beautiful, Don. Very unusual color. Nice idea about documenting the construction, too
    >
    > Rod Kuehl RANS V2 Riverview, FL "Don" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > OK, Can't wait for the finished pictures. This is a new site I just set up. I hope it works.
    > > http://pictures.care2.com/welcome/119550752
    > >
    > > Giro custom frame and partial build.

  17. Phil Wolfe

    Phil Wolfe Guest

    Sorry, I haven't been following the thread but I believe it cost me about $250.00 which included
    stripping the old powdercoating off my Rans Rocket and also powdercoating a set of bars also. The
    color is a semi-metalic dark blue pearl that kind of changes color depending on how the light hits
    it. Its still sitting in my basement about 3/4s of the way together waiting to be completed. I made
    the mistake if buying a Strada and I have been so busy riding and modifying it that the Rocket just
    sits. Hell even my Haluzak Hybrid Race just sits around as well and it was just repowdwercoated last
    year by Haluzak and some brazeons were added as well. Lotsa Luck, Philip Wolfe Rodney Kuehl wrote:

    > Hi Philip!!
    >
    > Just a few minutes ago I sent my Bacchetta Strada frame out to Spectrum Powder Works in Colorado
    > Springs. I got a lot of great referrals in this thread but it sure was hard getting someone to
    > respond or even say this could be done in less than 2 months.
    >
    > All future Bacchetta frame buyers thank me now for being the test pilot. $$$ is a great way to say
    > , thank ya , thank ya very much.
    >
    > I'll post some pix. Or if it turns out real bad, I won't!!
    >
    > Rod Kuehl RANS V2 Nude Strada Riverview, FL
    >
    > "Phil Wolfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Rainbow Cycle Craft in Niwot Colorado does fantastic work. I have had 2 recumbents powdercoated
    > > by them and they came out flawless. Unfortunately I do not think they have a website, at least
    > > they didn't when I had my
    > framesets
    > >
    > > done. If you are interested I could probably dig up there phone number. Good luck, Philip Wolfe
    > >
    > > Rodney Kuehl wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've got one of the "new" Strada frames due in anyday so I need it
    > painted.
    > > > If I'm going to go thru all of this, I'm going to get a unique design.
    > Done
    > > > a few web searches and have found this company:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/
    > > >
    > > > They have enough work to quote a 4-6 week turnaround not counting
    > freight
    > > > each way. Their photo gallery looks mighty cool. Any previous
    > customers
    > > > out there?
    > > >
    > > > Anyone out there know of a quality shop that can do metal flake or multi color on the east
    > > > side of the Mississippi?
    > > >
    > > > TIA
    > > >
    > > > Rod Kuehl RANS V2 (black) Riverview, FL

  18. Sticker Jim

    Sticker Jim Guest

    With powder coating, 99% of the time the item to be coated is hung on small metal hooks, not
    clamped. If your frame was dented, they likely dropped it or banged into something with it BEFORE it
    was coated.