does anyone know how to remove rust from a bike?

does anyone know how to remove rust from a bike?

This message was sent from an Electronmail.com email address. Electronmail.com offers free e-mail,
free news, and more. Never worry about spam again. http://www.electronmail.com/

Sand it off..

Or you can have it sandblasted..

Depends on how much rust and where at. If it's only some small amounts of surface rust, get a
scotchbrite pad and some WD40..

Danny

"j" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> does anyone know how to remove rust from a bike?

> This message was sent from an Electronmail.com email address. Electronmail.com offers free e-mail,
> free news, and more. Never worry about spam again. http://www.electronmail.com/

"Danny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Sand it off..
>
> Or you can have it sandblasted..
>
> Depends on how much rust and where at. If it's only some small amounts of surface rust, get a
> scotchbrite pad and some WD40..
>
> Danny
>

> "j" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > does anyone know how to remove rust from a bike?
> >

> > --
> >
> > This message was sent from an Electronmail.com email address. Electronmail.com offers free
> > e-mail, free news, and more. Never worry about spam again. http://www.electronmail.com/

http://www.dremel.com I use this tool for a TON of stuff .

M&M

"Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "j" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > does anyone know how to remove rust from a bike?
> > >

> > Rust?!
> >
> If it is a steel frame, then yes. I have an old (1998) Haro Vector with some rust. Just surface
> stuff, but I had also probably buff it off...
>
> -Dave

Hehehehe...I love it when the 'steelheads' are biting. ;^)

Mike - still has his '96 Marin hardtail.

> news:[email protected]...
> > does anyone know how to remove rust from a bike?

You can get Murcuric Acid at any paint store, diluted 1:1 with water it'll take any rust off
overnight, just don't get it on aluminum or you'll find it missing in the morning. Use goggles
and gloves. If you can't dip the part in it, soak a rag and wrap it around the part then wrap
that in plastic.

--
_________________________

Chris Phillipo said...

> You can get Murcuric Acid at any paint store, diluted 1:1 with water it'll take any rust off
> overnight, just don't get it on aluminum or you'll find it missing in the morning. Use goggles and
> gloves. If you can't dip the part in it, soak a rag and wrap it around the part then wrap that in
> plastic.

It think you mean muriatic acid, also known as hydrochloric acid. Nasty stuff. Personally, I
wouldn't use it on a bike. I'd be afraid of getting it where it shouldn't be. It will destroy most
materials if it is left on long enough. Stray splatters have remarkable staying power. The water in
the acid will evaporate and that one little drop that you missed will become more and more
concentrated. That's why if you get even the smallest amount on your clothes, it WILL eat a hole in
them. Anybody who uses it should wear glasses, gloves and old clothes that you are ready to throw
away. Be very sure to thoroughly clean up any stray drops with wet paper towels.