Does anyone know of a Brmompton/folder forum

clarky44

New Member
Aug 9, 2003
Just bought an L6. Really pleased with it :) for commuting on/off trains.

At 6ft 3 in and a fair old weight I am getting used to the fact that I look very odd on it. The funny thing though is that you don't feel odd on it. However, see anyone else on it and they look out of proportion!!! Very strange.

Anyway, I digress, does anyone know of any newsgroups or forums specifically targetted at folders? Would be helpful for me - in addition to this one I hasten to add.

Thanks

The Big Man on the Small Bike

clarky44 wrote:

> Just bought an L6. Really pleased with it :) for commuting on/off
> trains.

There's nothing better. You'll wonder why you have waited so long.

> Anyway, I digress, does anyone know of any newsgroups or forums
> specifically targetted at folders? Would be helpful for me - in
> addition to this one I hasten to add.

try:

HTH

John B

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 04:26:16 +1000, clarky44
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Just bought an L6. Really pleased with it :) for commuting on/off
>trains.
>
>At 6ft 3 in and a fair old weight I am getting used to the fact that I
>look very odd on it.

Can I ask what you weigh? I've considered getting a brompton myself,
but always worried about my size on that looooong seat post, it looks
a bit of a weak point when faced with my ****.

I'm 6' 1" and about 17 stone, so the post would need to be extended
towards it's limit and would be sat on by considerable bulk.

I've had a mooch about the brompton site and google but couldn't find
any max rider weight specs. Anyone know what a brommie will withstand?
--

"Bob"

'The people have spoken, the bastards'

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:57:40 +0100 someone who may be JohnB
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> Anyway, I digress, does anyone know of any newsgroups or forums
>> specifically targetted at folders? Would be helpful for me - in
>> addition to this one I hasten to add.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Call me Bob wrote:

> Can I ask what you weigh? I've considered getting a brompton myself,
> but always worried about my size on that looooong seat post, it looks
> a bit of a weak point when faced with my ****.
>
> I'm 6' 1" and about 17 stone, so the post would need to be extended
> towards it's limit and would be sat on by considerable bulk.

I'm 6'6", weigh a tad less (honest) than you and ride a Brompton with
telescopic seatpost without any problems.

Tony

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:17:58 GMT someone who may be Call me Bob
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I'm 6' 1" and about 17 stone, so the post would need to be extended
>towards it's limit and would be sat on by considerable bulk.
>
>I've had a mooch about the brompton site and google but couldn't find
>any max rider weight specs. Anyone know what a brommie will withstand?

It will withstand more than that. These bikes are a lot stronger
than they look.

There are extended and telescopic seat posts for taller people. The
telescopic is a two stage one, but is still strong.

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:37:06 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm 6'6", weigh a tad less (honest) than you and ride a Brompton with
> telescopic seatpost without any problems.

Right all you bromptoneers, can you answer a question for me -

I reckon I could get teh purchase of a Brompton past the financial
controller if I can demonstrate that it's equally useful to her as to
me. When it folds / unfolds do you reset adjustments of leg and arm
length as part of the process of is it set to one person's size, then
folds down and unfolds back to that same setting?

The use we'd have is basically for light mixed-mode use (like the
periodic occasions when I start my day with a train journey from home
into London, then go by train from London to work, then I'm at work
from which getting home by train is a pig but by bike is a doddle).

I think I'd (sorry, we'd) probably go for the most basic model,
assuming it has at least a 3-speed hub and some sort of luggage rack.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

clarky44 wrote:
> Just bought an L6. Really pleased with it :) for commuting on/off
> trains.
>
> At 6ft 3 in and a fair old weight I am getting used to the fact that I
> look very odd on it. The funny thing though is that you don't feel odd
> on it. However, see anyone else on it and they look out of
> proportion!!! Very strange.
>
> Anyway, I digress, does anyone know of any newsgroups or forums
> specifically targetted at folders? Would be helpful for me - in
> addition to this one I hasten to add.
>
> Thanks
>
> The Big Man on the Small Bike

Hello,

You could try The Folding Society,

http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/

Sam Salt

Ian Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:37:06 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm 6'6", weigh a tad less (honest) than you and ride a Brompton with
> > telescopic seatpost without any problems.

> Right all you bromptoneers, can you answer a question for me -
>
> I reckon I could get teh purchase of a Brompton past the financial
> controller if I can demonstrate that it's equally useful to her as to
> me.

It will be, 'cept you'll end up fighting over it ;-)

When it folds / unfolds do you reset adjustments of leg and arm
> length as part of the process of is it set to one person's size, then
> folds down and unfolds back to that same setting?

The bar position is fixed. You can't adjust it.
The saddle can be moved ever so slightly back to increase the arm length
but you would only want to do this once. Brommies are a little short in
length although the new models are about an inch longer. However as it
is a very upright riding position it is nor critical.

*All* adjustment for size is in the height of the saddle which you set
every time you unfold. Just pull the seat up to teh height you require.

> The use we'd have is basically for light mixed-mode use (like the
> periodic occasions when I start my day with a train journey from home
> into London, then go by train from London to work, then I'm at work
> from which getting home by train is a pig but by bike is a doddle).

Three of us in our house use _my_ Brompton. It lives folded up by the
front door. I use it for journeys mainly in conjunction with a train or
bus where I need to ride up to 7/8 miles at at the end (I'm 5'7"). It is
also used a lot by my wife, and my daughter (age15, 5'2") mainly for
hopping on for short shopping trips or visits to local friends.

> I think I'd (sorry, we'd) probably go for the most basic model,
> assuming it has at least a 3-speed hub and some sort of luggage rack.

IMO the rack isn't really worth it.
The front pannier is far better and simply lifts on and off. It carries
a lot and you don't have to faff about with bungees or straps.

Once you have a Brommie you'll wonder why you never had one before.

John B

Call me Bob wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 04:26:16 +1000, clarky44
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Just bought an L6. Really pleased with it :) for commuting on/off
>> trains.
>>
>> At 6ft 3 in and a fair old weight I am getting used to the fact that
>> I look very odd on it.

> Can I ask what you weigh? I've considered getting a brompton myself,
> but always worried about my size on that looooong seat post, it looks
> a bit of a weak point when faced with my ****.
>
> I'm 6' 1" and about 17 stone, so the post would need to be extended
> towards it's limit and would be sat on by considerable bulk.
>
> I've had a mooch about the brompton site and google but couldn't find
> any max rider weight specs. Anyone know what a brommie will withstand?

I don't know about weight,but at 6'1" you will need the extended /telescopic
seat post in place of the standard one.
My wife has just bought a Brommie,it is a wonderful little machine let down
by the quality/durability of the paintwork.It scuffs and scratches just by
looking at it.

Sam Salt

Ian Smith wrote:

> Right all you bromptoneers, can you answer a question for me -
>
> I reckon I could get teh purchase of a Brompton past the financial
> controller if I can demonstrate that it's equally useful to her as to
> me. When it folds / unfolds do you reset adjustments of leg and arm
> length as part of the process of is it set to one person's size, then
> folds down and unfolds back to that same setting?

Apart from the fundamental lack of recognition that you need two, not
one, everything except the seat post is in a fixed position and you
reposition the seat post every time to unfold the bike.

> I think I'd (sorry, we'd) probably go for the most basic model,
> assuming it has at least a 3-speed hub and some sort of luggage rack.

The C model is a false economy. Go for the L3 and the front shopping
basket to start with - it carries more and it doesn't stop you parking
the bike which luggage on the luggage rack does. If you speak nicely to
Mr Bromptonshop when you buy it you can almost certainly get the
upgrades to the L6 or the rack added for the difference between the
model prices.

Tony

Sam Salt wrote:

> I don't know about weight,but at 6'1" you will need the extended /telescopic
> seat post in place of the standard one.

Not necessarily. I only need a short length of the telescopic post and
I'm 5" taller

Tony

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:12:54 +0100, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:

>front door. I use it for journeys mainly in conjunction with a train or
>bus where I need to ride up to 7/8 miles at at the end (I'm 5'7"). It is
>also used a lot by my wife, and my daughter (age15, 5'2") mainly for
>hopping on for short shopping trips or visits to local friends.

***********, a 15 year old girl happy to be seen out and about on a
Brompton? You've done a fine job bringing her up, well done that man
(and that mum).
--

wrote:

>> I'm 6' 1" and about 17 stone, so the post would need to be extended
>> towards it's limit and would be sat on by considerable bulk.
>>

>I'm 6'6", weigh a tad less (honest) than you and ride a Brompton with
>telescopic seatpost without any problems.

Excellent news, thanks for info.
--

Call me Bob wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:12:54 +0100, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >front door. I use it for journeys mainly in conjunction with a train or
> >bus where I need to ride up to 7/8 miles at at the end (I'm 5'7"). It is
> >also used a lot by my wife, and my daughter (age15, 5'2") mainly for
> >hopping on for short shopping trips or visits to local friends.

> ***********, a 15 year old girl happy to be seen out and about on a
> Brompton? You've done a fine job bringing her up, well done that man
> (and that mum).

I think the fact that we live in a smallish place helps and that she is
well known, being a young cub leader and a bell-ringer as well as
part-time in the local shop.
Yes, some of the mouthy yobs yell out their usual insults but she has
sometimes put them in their place by getting off and demonstrating the fold.

It's a guaranteed jaw-dropper :)

John B

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:47:53 +0100, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>I've had a mooch about the brompton site and google but couldn't find
>>any max rider weight specs. Anyone know what a brommie will withstand?

>It will withstand more than that. These bikes are a lot stronger
>than they look.
>
>There are extended and telescopic seat posts for taller people. The
>telescopic is a two stage one, but is still strong.

That's good to know, thx. I'll keep an eye out for second hand
bargains then, although looking at the final prices on ebay, these
things retain their value quite well.
--

Call me Bob wrote:

> That's good to know, thx. I'll keep an eye out for second hand
> bargains then, although looking at the final prices on ebay, these
> things retain their value quite well.

Yes, a second hand L3 will generally go for around £300-350. Anything
cheaper and its most likely to be someone else's.

Tony

Call me Bob wrote:

> That's good to know, thx. I'll keep an eye out for second hand
> bargains then, although looking at the final prices on ebay, these
> things retain their value quite well.

Yes, a second hand L3 will generally go for around £300-350. Anything
cheaper and its most likely to be someone else's.

Tony

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:54:42 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be Ian
Smith <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I think I'd (sorry, we'd) probably go for the most basic model,
>assuming it has at least a 3-speed hub and some sort of luggage rack.

Adding to what the others have said, for your uses the most basic
model (C-type) is probably a false economy. It does not have
mudguards and this will probably not be ideal for going to or from
work, or other transport uses.

One of the most useful Brompton things is the front luggage system.
It takes literally a second to place the bag on the bike and
literally a second or two to remove. The three bags Brompton offer
all have their strengths and weaknesses, while you can design your
own as well. There are even adapters to fit conventional bar bags to
the luggage block. Some people end up with more than one sort of bag
in their collection. The front is where most luggage is carried on
nearly all Bromptons. Once they experience it most people wonder why
all bikes don't have such useful luggage (you can get adapters to
fit Brompton style luggage to other bikes).

The rack of the T-type is extremely useful for some things. A box of
A4 paper, tent, that extra shopping that doesn't fit into the front
bag and anything you can attach to it. Because the load is lower
down the Brompton is a better load carrier than a big wheeled bike.
However, loads on the rack do prevent folding until you take them
off so racks tend to be used as an extra carrying place rather than
the main one.

The choice between three and six gears depends on the terrain you
cover.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.