Does anyone know where I can get a clamp on cable stop?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Me, Apr 18, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi, I'm looking for a clamp on cable stop to allow me to run Vbrakes on my older Ti mtb. I saw a
    thread on this a couple day ago however all the shops mentioned were in the USA.

    It clamps to the top tube giving me an additional cable stop.

    http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Cable/Casing&sc=Clips/Stops
    &tc=Casing%20Stops&item_id=TK-105AS8&id=29895296103

    Does anyone know where I can get one of these Tektro ones like in the link- or something similar
    in the UK?

    Cheers

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I'm looking for a clamp on cable stop to allow me to run Vbrakes on my older Ti mtb. I saw a
    > thread on this a couple day ago however all the
    shops
    > mentioned were in the USA.
    >
    > It clamps to the top tube giving me an additional cable stop.

    http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Cable/Casing&sc=Clips/Stops
    > &tc=Casing%20Stops&item_id=TK-105AS8&id=29895296103
    >

    > Does anyone know where I can get one of these Tektro ones like in the
    link-
    > or something similar in the UK?

    You can get them from Ison Distribution I think - order through Billys on 01223-568368. Its called a
    backstop but they are not cheap - about £20 IIRC - and you will need to know your top tube diameter
    for the right size. Otherwise you can always order them from Sheldon Brown who does a lot of
    international mail order.

    Alternatively you can always run a complete outer from the lever to the brake to avoid needing
    a backstop.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  3. Me

    Me Guest

    cheers Tony,

    Yeah I've seen the backstops before, but was hoping to avoid this as I would need two of em and £40
    is a bit too steep. But at least I know that I can get these over here.

    One of the reasons the Tektros jumped out at me was their low price (around £3 each). I can have a
    buddy send them from the usa but I was hoping to get em a bit sooner than that, but I suppose I may
    have to in the end.

    currently, I'm running a long cable from the front to the rear, but its less than decent. I know I'm
    loosing loads of power using this option.

    If anyone knows where I can get a cheaper version of the Backstop or even the tektro copy here in
    the UK I would be very happy to have you reply to the board...

    cheers

    > "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi, I'm looking for a clamp on cable stop to allow me to run Vbrakes on
    my
    > > older Ti mtb. I saw a thread on this a couple day ago however all the
    > shops
    > > mentioned were in the USA.
    > >
    > > It clamps to the top tube giving me an additional cable stop.

    http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Cable/Casing&sc=Clips/Stops
    > > &tc=Casing%20Stops&item_id=TK-105AS8&id=29895296103
    > >

    > > Does anyone know where I can get one of these Tektro ones like in the
    > link-
    > > or something similar in the UK?
    > >

    > You can get them from Ison Distribution I think - order through Billys on 01223-568368. Its called
    > a backstop but they are not cheap - about £20 IIRC - and you will need to know your top tube
    > diameter for the right
    size.
    > Otherwise you can always order them from Sheldon Brown who does a lot of international mail order.
    >
    > Alternatively you can always run a complete outer from the lever to the brake to avoid needing a
    > backstop.
    >
    > Tony
    >
    > --
    > http://www.raven-family.com
    >
    > "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    > adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    > Bernard Shaw

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Me <[email protected]> wrote:

    > currently, I'm running a long cable from the front to the rear, but its less than decent. I know
    > I'm loosing loads of power using this option.

    I doubt it. A full cable run on the bike will not lose that much plus the rear brake is not that
    important compared to the front. There will be more than enough power there and its much less likely
    to get gunged up like open cable runs do..

    Tony