Does anyone make a frame like or similar to this

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by paul_in_toronto, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. paul_in_toronto

    paul_in_toronto New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2006
    Im looking for a frame that has......

    - reverse dropouts
    - removable cantilever posts
    - accepts 700c wheels
    - brake bridge drilled to accept a long reach road brake
    - removable derailler hanger
    - steel or aluminum tubing
    - reverse seat collar

    Does anyone make a frame like or similar to this?

    Tags:

  2. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 09:26:10 +1100, paul_in_toronto
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Im looking for a frame that has......
    >
    >- removable cantilever posts

    Just the posts, and not the bosses? Lots of them have this capacity
    unadvertised. If you want removable bosses, you're out of luck.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  3. B Paton

    B Paton Guest

    "paul_in_toronto" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]

    > Im looking for a frame that has......
    >
    > - reverse dropouts
    > - removable cantilever posts
    > - accepts 700c wheels
    > - brake bridge drilled to accept a long reach road brake
    > - removable derailler hanger
    > - steel or aluminum tubing
    > - reverse seat collar
    >
    > Does anyone make a frame like or similar to this?

    You are probably aware of this Toronto shop already. For a deal like this
    (C$250) you might consider a compromise or two. The other option is to take
    the single-speed frame to a framebuilding shop to have stuff you need added
    on.

    http://ucycle.com/bikes/item.php?name=urbhybrid&cat=urbanite

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    paul_in_toronto wrote:
    > Im looking for a frame that has......
    > - reverse dropouts
    > - removable cantilever posts
    > - accepts 700c wheels
    > - brake bridge drilled to accept a long reach road brake
    > - removable derailler hanger
    > - steel or aluminum tubing
    > - reverse seat collar
    > Does anyone make a frame like or similar to this?

    Custom Gunnar are $1075 in your choice of size/color.
    Small upgrades make it a custom Waterford at $1300.
    Either could be built as you describe, no problem.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  5. paul_in_toronto

    paul_in_toronto New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2006
    Hmm

    The urbanite is a good price for sure, but that store is a bit weird, I was in there one day looking to get a whole bike. The chick talking to me wandered away, went to serve other customers and them some other dude came up that was somewhat surly...

    In the case of the REMOVABLE CANTI-POSTS, what I really like is a few of voodoo mtb bike frames, they have it set up so that the whole boss is removable. It looks like you end up with a few holes in the frame but it sure does look cleaner, and installing them like that doesnt weaken the frame.

    Is there... a removable canti-boss unit you can buy?

  6. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    paul_in_toronto
    <[email protected]> writes:

    > The urbanite is a good price for sure, but that store is a bit
    > weird, I was in there one day looking to get a whole bike. The chick
    > talking to me wandered away, went to serve other customers and them
    > some other dude came up that was somewhat surly...
    >
    > In the case of the REMOVABLE CANTI-POSTS, what I really like is a
    > few of voodoo mtb bike frames, they have it set up so that the whole
    > boss is removable. It looks like you end up with a few holes in the
    > frame but it sure does look cleaner, and installing them like that
    > doesnt weaken the frame.

    If you've got holes in the frame, the frame is weakened at that
    location. This is one of those solutions in search of aproblem.

  7. paul_in_toronto

    paul_in_toronto New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2006
    SOLD DOES welding the posts on.
    Weaken the frame, yes I suspose you have a point..
    But how much?

    It really depends on the size of the hole, and where it is located.
    Think about it for a minute, how often have you seen a frame fail, at a hole.
    I cant remember any. It is usually at the weld, or a spot that has bent and then bent back. Or the famous squished in stays.. a 120 wheel on a 135 frame or 130 frame..

    In fact it is because of this reason that keith bontrager used to rivet on frame bits whereever he could, to avoid heating the frame tubing.

  8. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Tim McNamara wrote:
    > If you've got holes in the frame, the frame is weakened at that
    > location. This is one of those solutions in search of aproblem.

    I think overmuch is made of this but the boss for a screw-in
    post doesn't affect the frame any differently than the boss
    for a not screw-in brake post. The base is the same or about
    the same size.

    Like a water bottle boss, brazing around the insert makes it
    fundamentally different from just punching a hole in a tube.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  9. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    paul_in_toronto
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It really depends on the size of the hole, and where it is located.
    >Think about it for a minute, how often have you seen a frame fail, at
    >a hole.
    >I cant remember any. It is usually at the weld, or a spot that has
    >bent and then bent back. Or the famous squished in stays.. a 120 wheel
    >on a 135 frame or 130 frame..
    >
    >In fact it is because of this reason that keith bontrager used to
    >rivet on frame bits whereever he could, to avoid heating the frame
    >tubing.

    Maybe it doesn't hurt that it's cheaper, either... ;-)

    Thing is, I have a hard time believing that a riveted water bottle
    boss would be less likely to induce a tube failure than a welded boss.
    I've certainly never seen a failure at any welded boss on any of my
    frames, but I doubt that I would have seen failures had the bosses
    been riveted in either (overdesign is good design, IMHO).

    http://www.habcycles.com/p001030.jpg

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com