Does anyone make hotdogs out of 'real' cuts of meat?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doc, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Doc

    Doc Guest

    Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual cuts
    of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my understanding
    most hotdogs are?

    Tags:

  2. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On 14 Mar 2004 18:03:28 -0800, [email protected] (Doc) wrote:

    >Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
    >cuts of beef...

    Gee, what would all the trolls do without Deja-Google? 90%
    of all Google posts here are trolls.

    -sw

  3. Bill Seurer

    Bill Seurer Guest

    Doc wrote:

    > Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
    > cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
    > understanding most hotdogs are?

    Go to a local butcher, one NOT in another store. They make
    you whatever you want.

  4. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Doc wrote:
    > Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
    > cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
    > understanding most hotdogs are?

    You're outta luck. Without the lips and eyeballs, the hot
    dogs won't taste right. The closest you'll be able to get to
    that "real hotdog flavor" but without the beef lips is
    something made with mechanically separated turkey meat and
    pork and chicken byproducts.

    "Mechanically separated" is the key to good hot dogs.

    Hope this helps, :) Bob

  5. zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Doc wrote:
    >> Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
    >> cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
    >> understanding most hotdogs are?
    >

    > You're outta luck. Without the lips and eyeballs, the hot
    > dogs won't taste right. The closest you'll be able to get
    > to that "real hotdog flavor" but without the beef lips is
    > something made with mechanically separated turkey meat and
    > pork and chicken byproducts.
    >
    > "Mechanically separated" is the key to good hot dogs.
    >
    > Hope this helps, :) Bob

    ERP! Never did like hotdogs. Now I know why!

    Locally we have a low-production "sausage shop". All their
    products are made from good cuts of meat, even the hotdogs
    and balogna, the only bologna I'll even bother to taste.

    Wayne

  6. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Doc wrote:

    > Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
    > cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
    > understanding most hotdogs are?

    Hebrew National.

    They "answer to a higher authority".

    ;-) gloria p

  7. Doc

    Doc Guest

    "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 14 Mar 2004 18:03:28 -0800, [email protected]
    > (Doc) wrote:
    >
    > >Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
    > >cuts of beef...
    >
    > Gee, what would all the trolls do without Deja-Google? 90%
    > of all Google posts here are trolls.

    What would self-appointed anal retentive net-kops do
    without Google?

    Not a "troll", it was an entirely serious question.

    Look in the classifieds, maybe you'll find a life.

  8. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 04:39:23 GMT, "Doc"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >message news:[email protected]...
    >> On 14 Mar 2004 18:03:28 -0800, [email protected]
    >> (Doc) wrote:
    >>
    >> >Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
    >> >cuts of beef...
    >>
    >> Gee, what would all the trolls do without Deja-Google?
    >> 90% of all Google posts here are trolls.
    >
    >What would self-appointed anal retentive net-kops do
    >without Google?
    >
    >Not a "troll", it was an entirely serious question.
    >
    >Look in the classifieds, maybe you'll find a life.

    Who-Hoo! I got a troll to respond! What do I win?

    Lips and eyeballs. Uh-huh.

    -sw

  9. On 14 Mar 2004 18:03:28 -0800, [email protected] (Doc) wrote:

    >Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
    >cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
    >understanding most hotdogs are?

    Why would anyone use actual cuts of meat to make hot dogs?
    Hot dogs are a way of using up those scraps.

    If you are that concerned, you might want to make your own.
    Then you would know what is in them.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.

  10. Jarkat2002

    Jarkat2002 Guest

    >"Mechanically separated" is the key to good hot dogs.
    >
    >Hope this helps, :) Bob

    What exactly is "Mechanically separated"? ~Kat

    www.marchforchoice.org

  11. Doc

    Doc Guest

    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > The closest you'll be able to get to that "real hotdog
    > flavor" but without the beef lips is something made with
    > mechanically separated turkey meat and pork and chicken
    > byproducts.

    It's the "byproducts" that I'm trying to avoid, all the
    stuff they'd use on Fear Factor in unprocessed form. I've
    been trying soy dogs which aren't bad, but once in a while
    I'd like to have a real meat hot dog, but made out of *meat*
    and not scraps...

  12. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Jarkat2002 wrote:
    >>"Mechanically separated" is the key to good hot dogs.
    >>
    >>Hope this helps, :) Bob
    >

    > What exactly is "Mechanically separated"? ~Kat
    >

    > www.marchforchoice.org

    Presubably after cutting off the really good parts, the
    meaty bones are crushed and forced through a sieve to
    separate the bones from the tissue to make a paste-like
    meat product.

    Best regards, Bob

  13. stan

    stan Guest

    In rec.food.cooking Doc <[email protected]> wrote:
    > zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    > berlin.de>...

    >> The closest you'll be able to get to that "real hotdog
    >> flavor" but without the beef lips is something made with
    >> mechanically separated turkey meat and pork and chicken
    >> byproducts.

    > It's the "byproducts" that I'm trying to avoid, all the
    > stuff they'd use on Fear Factor in unprocessed form. I've
    > been trying soy dogs which aren't bad, but once in a while
    > I'd like to have a real meat hot dog, but made out of
    > *meat* and not scraps...

    Try Kosher hotdogs such as Hebrew National.

  14. Limey

    Limey Guest

    "zxcvbob" wrote in message

    > Jarkat2002 wrote:

    > >>"Mechanically separated" is the key to good hot dogs.
    > >>
    > >>Hope this helps, :) Bob
    > >

    > > What exactly is "Mechanically separated"? ~Kat
    >
    > Presubably after cutting off the really good parts, the
    > meaty bones are crushed and forced through a sieve to
    > separate the bones from the tissue
    > make a paste-like meat product.
    >
    > Best regards, Bob

    Really?? That sounds absolutely gross.

    Dora

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    Doc <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
    >cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
    >understanding most hotdogs are?

    Why? If you're going to eat one piece of meat, why does it
    matter what other piece of meat you eat? I just read a
    wonderful book called "A Cooks Tour" where Anthony Bourdain
    travels around the world eating different foods and it's
    amazing how other cultures make use of every scrap of meat
    instead of having this silly notion that we need to only eat
    the "nice" parts.

    ~Deepak

    --
    Deepak Saxena - dsaxena at plexity dot net -
    http://www.plexity.net/

  16. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Deepak Saxena wrote:
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>, Doc
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
    >>cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
    >>understanding most hotdogs are?
    >

    > Why? If you're going to eat one piece of meat, why does it
    > matter what other piece of meat you eat? I just read a
    > wonderful book called "A Cooks Tour" where Anthony
    > Bourdain travels around the world eating different foods
    > and it's amazing how other cultures make use of every
    > scrap of meat instead of having this silly notion that we
    > need to only eat the "nice" parts.
    >
    > ~Deepak

    It seems disrespectful to the animal that you've killed to
    not use the lips and eyeballs for *something*.

    Best regards, Bob

  17. [email protected] (Deepak Saxena) writes:
    >Why? If you're going to eat one piece of meat, why does it
    >matter what other piece of meat you eat?

    Because (a) different cuts of meat taste different and
    (b) toxins accumulate at different levels in different
    cuts of meat.

  18. Limey

    Limey Guest

    "zxcvbob" wrote in message

    > It seems disrespectful to the animal that you've killed to
    > not use the lips and eyeballs for *something*.
    >
    > Best regards, Bob

    Here on Maryland's Eastern Shore the lips are given (sold? I
    don't know) to commercial crabbers as bait. A butcher told
    me the eyes are often donated to medical schools, for
    dissection instruction.

    Dora