Does anyone make hotdogs out of 'real' cuts of meat?

Doc

Guest
Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual cuts
of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my understanding
most hotdogs are?

On 14 Mar 2004 18:03:28 -0800, [email protected] (Doc) wrote:

>Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
>cuts of beef...

Gee, what would all the trolls do without Deja-Google? 90%
of all Google posts here are trolls.

-sw

Doc wrote:

> Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
> cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
> understanding most hotdogs are?

Go to a local butcher, one NOT in another store. They make
you whatever you want.

Doc wrote:
> Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
> cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
> understanding most hotdogs are?

You're outta luck. Without the lips and eyeballs, the hot
dogs won't taste right. The closest you'll be able to get to
that "real hotdog flavor" but without the beef lips is
something made with mechanically separated turkey meat and
pork and chicken byproducts.

"Mechanically separated" is the key to good hot dogs.

Hope this helps, :) Bob

zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Doc wrote:
>> Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
>> cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
>> understanding most hotdogs are?
>

> You're outta luck. Without the lips and eyeballs, the hot
> dogs won't taste right. The closest you'll be able to get
> to that "real hotdog flavor" but without the beef lips is
> something made with mechanically separated turkey meat and
> pork and chicken byproducts.
>
> "Mechanically separated" is the key to good hot dogs.
>
> Hope this helps, :) Bob

ERP! Never did like hotdogs. Now I know why!

Locally we have a low-production "sausage shop". All their
products are made from good cuts of meat, even the hotdogs
and balogna, the only bologna I'll even bother to taste.

Wayne

Doc wrote:

> Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
> cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
> understanding most hotdogs are?

Hebrew National.

They "answer to a higher authority".

;-) gloria p

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 14 Mar 2004 18:03:28 -0800, [email protected]
> (Doc) wrote:
>
> >Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
> >cuts of beef...
>
> Gee, what would all the trolls do without Deja-Google? 90%
> of all Google posts here are trolls.

What would self-appointed anal retentive net-kops do
without Google?

Not a "troll", it was an entirely serious question.

Look in the classifieds, maybe you'll find a life.

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 04:39:23 GMT, "Doc"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in
>message news:[email protected]...
>> On 14 Mar 2004 18:03:28 -0800, [email protected]
>> (Doc) wrote:
>>
>> >Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
>> >cuts of beef...
>>
>> Gee, what would all the trolls do without Deja-Google?
>> 90% of all Google posts here are trolls.
>
>What would self-appointed anal retentive net-kops do
>without Google?
>
>Not a "troll", it was an entirely serious question.
>
>Look in the classifieds, maybe you'll find a life.

Who-Hoo! I got a troll to respond! What do I win?

Lips and eyeballs. Uh-huh.

-sw

On 14 Mar 2004 18:03:28 -0800, [email protected] (Doc) wrote:

>Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
>cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
>understanding most hotdogs are?

Why would anyone use actual cuts of meat to make hot dogs?
Hot dogs are a way of using up those scraps.

If you are that concerned, you might want to make your own.
Then you would know what is in them.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.

>"Mechanically separated" is the key to good hot dogs.
>
>Hope this helps, :) Bob

What exactly is "Mechanically separated"? ~Kat

www.marchforchoice.org

zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> The closest you'll be able to get to that "real hotdog
> flavor" but without the beef lips is something made with
> mechanically separated turkey meat and pork and chicken
> byproducts.

It's the "byproducts" that I'm trying to avoid, all the
stuff they'd use on Fear Factor in unprocessed form. I've
been trying soy dogs which aren't bad, but once in a while
I'd like to have a real meat hot dog, but made out of *meat*
and not scraps...

Jarkat2002 wrote:
>>"Mechanically separated" is the key to good hot dogs.
>>
>>Hope this helps, :) Bob
>

> What exactly is "Mechanically separated"? ~Kat
>

> www.marchforchoice.org

Presubably after cutting off the really good parts, the
meaty bones are crushed and forced through a sieve to
separate the bones from the tissue to make a paste-like
meat product.

Best regards, Bob

In rec.food.cooking Doc <[email protected]> wrote:
> zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> berlin.de>...

>> The closest you'll be able to get to that "real hotdog
>> flavor" but without the beef lips is something made with
>> mechanically separated turkey meat and pork and chicken
>> byproducts.

> It's the "byproducts" that I'm trying to avoid, all the
> stuff they'd use on Fear Factor in unprocessed form. I've
> been trying soy dogs which aren't bad, but once in a while
> I'd like to have a real meat hot dog, but made out of
> *meat* and not scraps...

Try Kosher hotdogs such as Hebrew National.

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

> Jarkat2002 wrote:

> >>"Mechanically separated" is the key to good hot dogs.
> >>
> >>Hope this helps, :) Bob
> >

> > What exactly is "Mechanically separated"? ~Kat
>
> Presubably after cutting off the really good parts, the
> meaty bones are crushed and forced through a sieve to
> separate the bones from the tissue
> make a paste-like meat product.
>
> Best regards, Bob

Really?? That sounds absolutely gross.

Dora

In article <[email protected]>,
Doc <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
>cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
>understanding most hotdogs are?

Why? If you're going to eat one piece of meat, why does it
matter what other piece of meat you eat? I just read a
wonderful book called "A Cooks Tour" where Anthony Bourdain
travels around the world eating different foods and it's
amazing how other cultures make use of every scrap of meat
instead of having this silly notion that we need to only eat
the "nice" parts.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - dsaxena at plexity dot net -
http://www.plexity.net/

Deepak Saxena wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>, Doc
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
>>cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
>>understanding most hotdogs are?
>

> Why? If you're going to eat one piece of meat, why does it
> matter what other piece of meat you eat? I just read a
> wonderful book called "A Cooks Tour" where Anthony
> Bourdain travels around the world eating different foods
> and it's amazing how other cultures make use of every
> scrap of meat instead of having this silly notion that we
> need to only eat the "nice" parts.
>
> ~Deepak

It seems disrespectful to the animal that you've killed to
not use the lips and eyeballs for *something*.

Best regards, Bob

[email protected] (Deepak Saxena) writes:
>Why? If you're going to eat one piece of meat, why does it
>matter what other piece of meat you eat?

Because (a) different cuts of meat taste different and
(b) toxins accumulate at different levels in different
cuts of meat.

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

> It seems disrespectful to the animal that you've killed to
> not use the lips and eyeballs for *something*.
>
> Best regards, Bob

Here on Maryland's Eastern Shore the lips are given (sold? I
don't know) to commercial crabbers as bait. A butcher told
me the eyes are often donated to medical schools, for
dissection instruction.

Dora