Does anyone make hotdogs out of 'real' cuts of meat?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doc, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Yeff

    Yeff Guest

    On 15 Mar 2004 04:13:36 -0800, Doc wrote:

    > zxcvbob <zx[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    > berlin.de>...
    >
    >> The closest you'll be able to get to that "real hotdog
    >> flavor" but without the beef lips is something made with
    >> mechanically separated turkey meat and pork and chicken
    >> byproducts.
    >
    > It's the "byproducts" that I'm trying to avoid, all the
    > stuff they'd use on Fear Factor in unprocessed form. I've
    > been trying soy dogs which aren't bad, but once in a while
    > I'd like to have a real meat hot dog, but made out of
    > *meat* and not scraps...

    See: <http://www.hot-dog.org/hd/hd_made.htm>

    Two money quotes:

    1 - "First, specially selected meat trimmings of beef and/or
    pork -- just like the meat you buy in your grocer's case --
    are cut or ground into small pieces and placed in a mixer.
    When poultry hot dogs are made, poultry trimmings are used."

    2 - "Each package of hot dogs contains an ingredient
    statement, which lists everything that goes into the
    product. These days, it is less common to use variety meats
    such as hearts in hot dogs. When they are added, the package
    will clearly state "with variety meats." The particular
    variety meat used also will be listed in the ingredient
    statement."

    -----

    -Jeff B. yeff at erols dot com
     


  2. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Jarkat2002 wrote:
    > >>"Mechanically separated" is the key to good hot dogs.
    > >>
    > >>Hope this helps, :) Bob
    > >
    > >
    > > What exactly is "Mechanically separated"? ~Kat
    > >
    > >
    > > www.marchforchoice.org
    >
    >
    > Presubably after cutting off the really good parts, the
    > meaty bones are crushed and forced through a sieve to
    > separate the bones from the tissue to make a paste-like
    > meat product.
    >
    > Best regards, Bob
    >
    Aren't they cutting down on that practice in the wake of the
    recent mad cow scare?
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.
     
  3. "Doc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
    > cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
    > understanding most hotdogs are?

    I believe Hebrew National makes frankfurters from only
    kosher, "steak" parts of beef. Also, they are always all
    beef, since pork is not kosher.

    -Adam
     
  4. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >"Adam Schwartz" writes:
    >
    >"Doc" <docsavage20 wrote:
    >>
    >> Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of actual
    >> cuts of beef, not "lips and eyeballs" as it's my
    >> understanding most hotdogs are?
    >
    >I believe Hebrew National makes frankfurters from only
    >kosher, "steak" parts of beef. Also, they are always all
    >beef, since pork is not kosher.

    Hebrew national says they use only beef chuck for all it's
    cured meat products.

    Naturally one can always make their own hotdogs, not all
    that difficult, then they'll know what/who is in it.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
     
  5. Deepak Saxena wrote:

    > Why? If you're going to eat one piece of meat, why does it
    > matter what other piece of meat you eat?

    Because there's nothing rational about our food likes and
    dislikes in the first place. The thought of eating some
    foods gives me the squickies and others send me into silly
    delight. It makes as much sense to attack food preferences
    for being irrational as it does to attack falling in love
    for the same reason.

    --Lia
     
  6. limey wrote:

    A butcher told me the eyes are often donated
    > to medical schools, for dissection instruction.

    Ninth grade biology class. Can of cow eyeballs for
    dissection. Lots of lab equipment including microscopes
    and forceps but no can opener. 14 year old sent to school
    cafeteria with can for help. Cafeteria ladies see
    contents ...

    --Lia
     
  7. A.C.

    A.C. Guest

    > >> >Is there any brand of hot dog that's made out of
    > >> >actual cuts of
    beef...
    > >>
    > >> Gee, what would all the trolls do without Deja-Google?
    > >> 90% of all Google posts here are trolls.
    > >
    > >What would self-appointed anal retentive net-kops do
    > >without Google?
    > >
    > >Not a "troll", it was an entirely serious question.
    > >
    > >Look in the classifieds, maybe you'll find a life.
    >
    > Who-Hoo! I got a troll to respond! What do I win?
    >
    > Lips and eyeballs. Uh-huh.
    >
    > -sw

    haven't you ever heard hot dogs described as being made from
    the scraps of the animal? (ie. lips and eyeballs) i don't
    think he meant it to be a literal thing and i believe his
    question was valid.

    ac
     
  8. On 15 Mar 2004 04:13:36 -0800, [email protected] (Doc) wrote:

    >zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    >berlin.de>...
    >
    >> The closest you'll be able to get to that "real hotdog
    >> flavor" but without the beef lips is something made with
    >> mechanically separated turkey meat and pork and chicken
    >> byproducts.
    >
    >It's the "byproducts" that I'm trying to avoid, all the
    >stuff they'd use on Fear Factor in unprocessed form. I've
    >been trying soy dogs which aren't bad, but once in a while
    >I'd like to have a real meat hot dog, but made out of
    >*meat* and not scraps...

    Make your own if you must know what is in them. It makes no
    commercial sense to make what you are looking for, because
    nobody would pay for
    it.Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.
     
  9. On 15 Mar 2004 15:12:05 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >In rec.food.cooking Doc <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    >> berlin.de>...
    >
    >>> The closest you'll be able to get to that "real hotdog
    >>> flavor" but without the beef lips is something made with
    >>> mechanically separated turkey meat and pork and chicken
    >>> byproducts.
    >
    >> It's the "byproducts" that I'm trying to avoid, all the
    >> stuff they'd use on Fear Factor in unprocessed form. I've
    >> been trying soy dogs which aren't bad, but once in a
    >> while I'd like to have a real meat hot dog, but made out
    >> of *meat* and not scraps...
    >
    >Try Kosher hotdogs such as Hebrew National.

    That would avoid pork products but still would be made
    of scraps.

    "All beef" means everything came from a cow or steer. Mostly
    suet textured to feel like meat.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.
     
  10. "Deepak Saxena" <[email protected]>
    >
    > Why? If you're going to eat one piece of meat, why does it
    > matter what other piece of meat you eat? I just read a
    > wonderful book called "A Cooks Tour" where Anthony
    > Bourdain travels around the world eating different foods
    > and it's amazing how other cultures make use of every
    > scrap of meat instead of having this silly notion that we
    > need to only eat the "nice" parts.

    Suggest you read about Jewish dietary law. They point our
    the reasons that certain cuts are not used. Ed
     
  11. "Rodney Myrvaagnes" <[email protected]>
    >
    > That would avoid pork products but still would be made
    > of scraps.
    >
    > "All beef" means everything came from a cow or steer.
    > Mostly suet textured to feel like meat.

    Not if they are kosher. Certain cuts of meat are not used
    even from other animals. . Specifically the organ meats and
    the rump, possibly others.

    I saw a program on PBS about hot dogs. They showed on outfit
    in Chicago that uses only briskets in their hot dogs. Ed
    [email protected] http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

    .
     
  12. "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]> writes:
    >Suggest you read about Jewish dietary law. They point our
    >the reasons that certain cuts are not used.

    There are *religious* reasons why certain parts of
    slaughtered animals are not eaten by those who keep Kosher,
    but I hardly think that any of those reasons would be
    relevant to people who don't.

    In broad brush strokes (it's a lot more complicated than
    this, but this is the general overview):

    * Kosher laws prohibit the consumption of blood, hence
    Kosher meat is "soaked and salted" to remove the blood;
    organs such as the liver from which the blood cannot be
    easily removed are not eaten (although some of them, such
    as the liver, can be eaten if they are cooked by broiling,
    for reasons which aren't worth going into here).

    * Kosher laws prohibit the consumption of the achilles
    tendon. Usually, rather than removing the achilles tendon
    from slaughtered animals, which is a time-consuming
    process, Kosher butchers sell the entire part of the
    animal containing it to non-Kosher butchers.
     
  13. Witchy Way

    Witchy Way Guest

    <<Yup. http://www.hebrewnational.com/index.jsp John >>

    yup what? beef hearts are beef, too, and i hear they go
    into hot dogs. just because something is beef it doesn't
    mean it's a beef part eaten casually by the general public
    like steak is

    **When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping'. Now I
    just 'chunky dunk'.

    witchy
     
  14. Witchy Way

    Witchy Way Guest

    <<Yup. http://www.hebrewnational.com/index.jsp John >>

    yup what? beef hearts are beef, too, and i hear they go
    into hot dogs. just because something is beef it doesn't
    mean it's a beef part eaten casually by the general public
    like steak is

    **When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping'. Now I
    just 'chunky dunk'.

    witchy
     
  15. zxcvbob <[email protected]> writes:
    >It seems disrespectful to the animal that you've killed to
    >not use the lips and eyeballs for *something*.

    They're yours!

    -Mike
     
  16. "Jonathan Kamens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]> writes:
    > >Suggest you read about Jewish dietary law. They point our
    > >the reasons
    that
    > >certain cuts are not used.
    >
    > There are *religious* reasons why certain parts of
    > slaughtered animals are not eaten by those who keep
    > Kosher, but I hardly think that any of those reasons would
    > be relevant to people who don't.

    Some would be. The rump roast is not used by people that
    keep kosher. The reason is the proximity to the anus and
    waste. It is for health reasons also. I don't know if it is
    valid or not. Same reason shell fish (scavengers) are not
    kosher. Ed
     
  17. Limey

    Limey Guest

    "Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
    > limey wrote:
    >
    > A butcher told me the eyes are often donated
    > > to medical schools, for dissection instruction.
    >
    >
    > Ninth grade biology class. Can of cow eyeballs for
    > dissection. Lots of lab equipment including microscopes
    > and forceps but no can opener. 14 year old sent to school
    > cafeteria with can for help. Cafeteria ladies see
    > contents ...
    >
    > --Lia

    I can hear the pandemonium.

    Dora
     
  18. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
    > "Jonathan Kamens" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>"Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]> writes:
    >>
    >>>Suggest you read about Jewish dietary law. They point our
    >>>the reasons
    >
    > that
    >
    >>>certain cuts are not used.
    >>
    >>There are *religious* reasons why certain parts of
    >>slaughtered animals are not eaten by those who keep
    >>Kosher, but I hardly think that any of those reasons would
    >>be relevant to people who don't.
    >
    >
    > Some would be. The rump roast is not used by people
    > that keep kosher. The reason is the proximity to the
    > anus and waste.

    Actually, that's not the reason. They don't eat the sinew
    that connects to the hip because Jacob wrestled with the
    Angel of the LORD, and was crippled when He touched the
    socket of his hip; Jacob walked with a limp after this. This
    Jewish tradition predates the giving of the Law, and is
    documented in Genesis 32.

    Best regards, Bob <-- not Jewish, but have studied the Old
    Testament.

    --
    "And crawling on the plant's face,
    Some insects called "the human race"
    Lost in time, and lost in space...
    and meaning" --The Criminologist (Rocky Horror Picture Show)
     
  19. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:56:07 -0500, "A.C." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >haven't you ever heard hot dogs described as being made
    >from the scraps of the animal? (ie. lips and eyeballs)

    Yeah, by idiots who think it's true.

    -sw
     
  20. On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 04:14:56 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    >"Rodney Myrvaagnes" <[email protected]>
    >>
    >> That would avoid pork products but still would be made of
    >> scraps.
    >>
    >> "All beef" means everything came from a cow or steer.
    >> Mostly suet textured to feel like meat.
    >
    >Not if they are kosher. Certain cuts of meat are not used
    >even from other animals. . Specifically the organ meats and
    >the rump, possibly others.
    >
    >I saw a program on PBS about hot dogs. They showed on
    >outfit in Chicago that uses only briskets in their
    >hot dogs.

    As the meat flavoring for the textured fat, I expect. The
    textured fat that makes up the bulk of most (all?) hot dogs
    isn't necessarily from organ meats.

    With so many good things to eat, who cares about hot dogs
    anyway? Even non-kosher they are exorbitantly priced fat
    delivery vehicles.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.
     
Loading...