Does anyone make hotdogs out of 'real' cuts of meat?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doc, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    limey wrote:
    > "Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
    >
    >>limey wrote:
    >>
    >> A butcher told me the eyes are often donated
    >>
    >>>to medical schools, for dissection instruction.
    >>

    >>Ninth grade biology class. Can of cow eyeballs for
    >>dissection. Lots of lab equipment including microscopes
    >>and forceps but no can opener. 14 year old sent to school
    >>cafeteria with can for help. Cafeteria ladies see
    >>contents ...
    >>
    >>--Lia
    >

    > I can hear the pandemonium.
    >
    > Dora

    I can imagine next week's "Chef Surprise" ;-)

    -Bob

  2. "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]> writes:
    >Some would be. The rump roast is not used by people
    >that keep kosher. The reason is the proximity to the
    >anus and waste.

    This is simply not true.

    As I have already indicated in my article, only the achilles
    tendon is prohibited, not the entire rump roast, and the
    only reason the entire hind quarter is sold off by most
    Kosher butchers is because it is too time-consuming to
    remove the achilles tendon.

    This is why it's hard to get Kosher filet mignon -- filet
    mignon comes from the part of the animal which is usually
    sold off Kosher butchers. When you Kosher filet mignon is
    offered for sale, part of its added expense is because of
    the time required to remove the achilles tendon during the
    butchering.

    >It is for health reasons also. I don't know if it is valid
    >or not. Same reason shell fish (scavengers) are not kosher.

    None of this is true.

    No health-based reason is given for *any* of the Kosher
    laws. Jews who keep Kosher, keep Kosher because we are
    commanded to keep Kosher; that is the *only* reason in the
    Torah and Jewish tradition for why the Kosher laws exist.

    It is certainly true that there is a fascinating
    correspondence between many of the Kosher laws and better
    health. In fact, this correspondence is considered by many
    people as evidence of the divine origins of the Jewish
    Bible. Such people point out people at the time the Bible
    was written, people simply did not know about many of the
    health issues which are avoided by following the Kosher
    laws. But the claim that following the Kosher laws promotes
    better health is found nowhere in the Bible.

  3. Doc

    Doc Guest

    "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:56:07 -0500, "A.C."
    > <[email protected]>

    > Yeah, by idiots who think it's true.

    I'm sure you and your entire family work in the packing
    industry, but the way I actually heard it originally
    described was "eyeballs and assholes". Is there some reason
    you would expect someone who doesn't work in the industry to
    envision why they wouldn't use such otherwise unsaleable
    parts? Or is being an inflammatory jackass a hobby of yours?
    What exactly IS your unique expertise in the field?

  4. Scott

    Scott Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Actually, that's not the reason. They don't eat the sinew
    > that connects to the hip because Jacob wrestled with the
    > Angel of the LORD, and was crippled when He touched the
    > socket of his hip; Jacob walked with a limp after this.
    > This Jewish tradition predates the giving of the Law, and
    > is documented in Genesis 32.

    Actually, it's the "gid hanasheh" -- the sciatic nerve --
    that has to be removed, which is why it's so difficult and
    not commonly done.

    please mail OT responses only

  5. "Jonathan Kamens" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message

    > As I have already indicated in my article, only the
    > achilles tendon is prohibited, not the entire rump roast,
    > and the only reason the entire hind quarter is sold off by
    > most Kosher butchers is because it is too time-consuming
    > to remove the achilles tendon.

    From a cow with bad feet? I think you mean the sciatic nerve
    that runs along the spine.