Does anyone own an Ergomo?

crossward

Jan 10, 2004
If there are any Ergomo Power Meter owners out there I, and I am sure others, would like to hear your opinions of the product. Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by crossward
If there are any Ergomo Power Meter owners out there I, and I am sure others, would like to hear your opinions of the product. Thanks in advance!

I have had my Ergomo now for a week and ridden it twice. First impressions are good. Instalation was a piece of cake and went smoothly. Set up and calibration also easy. The unit looks to be of a very high quality aswell.

The readout on the rides looked good and the data seemed about right.

After the Polar it is a breath of fresh air and looks to be the best product of its type to me.

Peter

Originally posted by ricstern
just curious... have you used an SRM or Power Tap?

Ric

No, but I have looked in reasonable depth at both products.

Perhaps I should clarify, by saying the "best product of it's type"I mean the best product that does not require either a dedicated wheel or chainset. Looks to be as accurate as SRM at +/- 2% and is lighter and less cumbersome.

As I said, first impressions.

so, that's only comparing to the Polar S710/S720...

Ric

Yes. In terms of a direct product comparison you are absolutely correct Ric !

I do, however think that the Ergomo looks like a very good product when compared to the SRM and Power Tap systems;

1. Equally accurate in tests so far
2. Use your own wheels and chainset
3. Lighter
4. Easier to install
5. Very good quality build of head unit computer

What are your thoughts.... do you have an opinion on the Ergomo ? Have you seen it or tried it yet ?

Peter

Originally posted by peterwright
Yes. In terms of a direct product comparison you are absolutely correct Ric !

I do, however think that the Ergomo looks like a very good product when compared to the SRM and Power Tap systems;

1. Equally accurate in tests so far

there's no scientific tests so far available (i.e. peer reviewed journal)

2. Use your own wheels and chainset

that's *possibly* an advantage

3. Lighter

i think this is true but i haven't weighed mine to verify that. still as were only talking a few grams (200g??) it isn't going to make much if any difference (you can do the modelling at www.analyticcycling.com)

4. Easier to install

than the polar definitely. bit harder than an srm, much harder than a PT. however, there's a few caveats to go with that (e.g. if you have to build the PT, then that would be hardest to do, or in the case of most people, not hard because they'd take it into a shop to build)

5. Very good quality build of head unit computer

not had mine long enough to make that statement

What are your thoughts.... do you have an opinion on the Ergomo ? Have you seen it or tried it yet ?

see above. i'll try not to comment too much more on this thread
as i'm doing a study on the four power meters. therefore, at present, if asked about the accuracy of any of these units, i'll only reply with what is publicly available.

the above responses to the Ergomo unit shouldn't be viewed as being negative, i'm just trying to show 'the other side of the coin' - as i don't think you have (maybe that's because you haven't used the other units and you prefer the Ergomo to the S710/S720)

Ric

there's no scientific tests so far available (i.e. peer reviewed journal)

I was referring to Hunter Allens data as reviewed by Mr Cheung.

that's *possibly* an advantage

I do not see how it is "possibly" an advantage. Surely by having the freedom of choice to use whatever components you wish can only be an advantage to the general user ?

i think this is true but i haven't weighed mine to verify that. still as were only talking a few grams (200g??) it isn't going to make much if any difference (you can do the modelling at www.analyticcycling.com)

Noted. But in general most riders would prefer a lighter unit if they are putting it on their race bike.

than the polar definitely. bit harder than an srm, much harder than a PT. however, there's a few caveats to go with that (e.g. if you have to build the PT, then that would be hardest to do, or in the case of most people, not hard because they'd take it into a shop to build)

In terms of bringing it home form the shop (so to speak) it can be on the bike and runnign in less than 30 mins and can be done with no need for a visit to a bike shop. id say thats a big advantage

not had mine long enough to make that statement

OK. Me neither but I am going on what I have seen and felt so far.

see above. i'll try not to comment too much more on this thread
as i'm doing a study on the four power meters. therefore, at present, if asked about the accuracy of any of these units, i'll only reply with what is publicly available.

the above responses to the Ergomo unit shouldn't be viewed as being negative, i'm just trying to show 'the other side of the coin' - as i don't think you have (maybe that's because you haven't used the other units and you prefer the Ergomo to the S710/S720)

It was not my aim to show "the other side of the coin" but simply to give an opinion on the product, as was requested by the OP.

Ric

Originally posted by peterwright
I was referring to Hunter Allens data as reviewed by Mr Cheung.

an n=1 doesn't mean much in my opinion

I do not see how it is "possibly" an advantage. Surely by having the freedom of choice to use whatever components you wish can only be an advantage to the general user ?

that's correct -- i was however, thinking you meant a performance advantage

Noted. But in general most riders would prefer a lighter unit if they are putting it on their race bike.

but it's up to sports scientists (etc) to explain that this makes no difference. even if there was a (minor) advantage, it's possibly offset by the size of the unit and increased drag

In terms of bringing it home form the shop (so to speak) it can be on the bike and runnign in less than 30 mins and can be done with no need for a visit to a bike shop. id say thats a big advantage

i'm not sure to what you are referring here? do you mean bringing it home after purchasing the unit or after having had a shop install it?

for most people it'll be a shop job to fit it, as the bracket shell in your frame will need refacing (as per the instructions). of course once the bracket itself is fitted it's an easyish job to install, but still not as easy as a Power Tap

OK. Me neither but I am going on what I have seen and felt so far.

and how long have you had it working?

It was not my aim to show "the other side of the coin" but simply to give an opinion on the product, as was requested by the OP.

it just seemed that you were biased towards the Ergomo, whilst not being fully aware of the other two units.

ric

looking back at this thread, you've had it a week or so and ridden twice(ish). i think some of your statements are pretty bold for such a short period of time, i think i've got 10 rides on mine so far and wouldn't be able to make such bold statements.

ric

looking back at this thread, you've had it a week or so and ridden twice(ish). i think some of your statements are pretty bold for such a short period of time, i think i've got 10 rides on mine so far and wouldn't be able to make such bold statements.

ric

I have had the unit about three weeks and have put a few more rides on now.

I have also reviewed the thread and cannot see any statements that I would consider to be bold. Simply opinions from a consumer (not a scientist). None of the statements that I made are likely to change over time as they are mostly functions of the unit e.g weight etc.

I have responded to the request for an opinion on the Ergomo and have simply given my views based on my use so far and of my experience, albeit limited, of the other units. The main difference in our approaches is that you are coming from a scientific standpoint (very valid) and I am coming from a consumer standpoint (equally valid). My opinion on this unit, as far as I have used it ,does not bear any relevance to the SRM or th PT as I have not owned or used either extensively.

The OP did not ask for a comparison of the Ergomo to the SRM or PT but for an opinion on the Ergomo from any owners / users.

IMO that's what he got from me.

I hope the comparison test goes well and would be very keen to see it once complete. Where and when will you publish it / post it ?

it's my understanding from your website, that you have a degree in sports science or similar, and run some sort of training/coaching business. thus, it would seem apparent to me that people would assume (rightly or wrongly) that you are giving it the considered opinion of 'someone in the business'.

i think suggesting that it's accurate on the basis of a few weeks riding, with no comparison to an accurate meter and the basis of one external sample is a 'bold' statement.

ric

it's my understanding from your website, that you have a degree in sports science or similar, and run some sort of training/coaching business. thus, it would seem apparent to me that people would assume (rightly or wrongly) that you are giving it the considered opinion of 'someone in the business'.
I am "in the business" as you put it but I certainly do not make any of my postings to this site on behalf of my business nor do I profess in these postings to be any sort of expert.

In fact I am the owner of said business and do not run the technical side of it. I am a keen cyclist who has an interest in training with power. I do not think people reading my posts would make any assumptions at all about my status or knowledge as there is no reference to it unless you research it further as you have obviously done.

I think suggesting that it's accurate on the basis of a few weeks riding, with no comparison to an accurate meter and the basis of one external sample is a 'bold' statement.

Given that the manufacturer claims it is +/_2% accurate and the only paper issued to date (Chung) seems to correlate this then I have no reason to assume otherwise until it is demonstrated by further research. Hardly Bold or controversial in my view.

Anyway I think that this thread has deviated from the original question enough now so perhaps its time to move on....

Peter

"research it further", sounds more grandiose than it was, took about 2-secs to click the link on the bottom of all your messages...

i don't think that Robert's web page qualifies as a "paper" (although that in no way invalidates his work).

Manufacturers claim lots of things, that aren't necessarily true or anywhere near true (that's not a dig at Ergomo and indeed i haven't passed any comment on the accuracy and validity of the Ergomo yet, i'm just simply stating something that is known).

Ric

The "advantage" of not having dedicated components like the PT wheel is an advantage if you always use the same bike. If you have more than one bike, the PT system is an advantage, since you can get an extra receiver for about $50 and essentially have two or more systems for (almost) the price of one. I even use the PT on the 'cross bike by switching the tire or using PT without power(cyclocomputer mode).

You people may already know this but the Ergomo only measures the power of the left leg and then multiplies it by two. Some people have leg strength differences. My right leg is noticeably bigger than my left though I've never had the difference measured, it does make me wonder.

Peter, thank you for your "opinion" and "feedback based on personal experience." It is the choice of the visitors to this thread to accept, reject, believe, disbelieve, etc. Ric, it would be ashame for your somewhat extreme reaction to be a catalyst towards creating reluctance to post opinions for fear of being aggressively criticized. I for one see nothing bold or misleading in Peter's statements, and encourage him, and others, to continue feeding information that is correct and accurate to the best of their knowledge and inspection. It has proven tremendously helpful to me, as I'm sure it has, many others.

"research it further", sounds more grandiose than it was, took about 2-secs to click the link on the bottom of all your messages...

i don't think that Robert's web page qualifies as a "paper" (although that in no way invalidates his work).

Manufacturers claim lots of things, that aren't necessarily true or anywhere near true (that's not a dig at Ergomo and indeed i haven't passed any comment on the accuracy and validity of the Ergomo yet, i'm just simply stating something that is known).

Ric

Originally posted by larrynipon
Peter, thank you for your "opinion" and "feedback based on personal experience." It is the choice of the visitors to this thread to accept, reject, believe, disbelieve, etc. Ric, it would be ashame for your somewhat extreme reaction to be a catalyst towards creating reluctance to post opinions for fear of being aggressively criticized. I for one see nothing bold or misleading in Peter's statements, and encourage him, and others, to continue feeding information that is correct and accurate to the best of their knowledge and inspection. It has proven tremendously helpful to me, as I'm sure it has, many others.

Larry (and Peter),

I stand by what i previously said. I have no problem with people making various claims, however, in the case of someone who is obviously in the 'business', i.e. Peter is a sport or exercise scientist (from memory) or similar, and has some sort of commercial bike business (coaching or similar) and has links to Ergomo on his website, then people who look at his (Peter's) posts may easily feel that he is making a 'solid' (i.e. it is more than opinion) judgement on the Ergomo's validity and accuracy. I *question* Peter's judgement on his statement (his original post on this subject was made after 2 rides, and without having used the other two power meters). Had i not challenged his opinion others may have thought he was comparing the Ergomo to the PT and SRM as well (which he clearly wasn't). On the other hand, i have way more than two rides on the Ergomo and wouldn't (as a professional in the business) make such assertions.

Again, I'll add that i'm not knocking *or* advocating the Ergomo in this thread, i'm merely commentating on Peters 'rushed' response (as someone in the business).

Ric

Larry (and Peter),

I stand by what i previously said. I have no problem with people making various claims, however, in the case of someone who is obviously in the 'business', i.e. Peter is a sport or exercise scientist (from memory) or similar, and has some sort of commercial bike business (coaching or similar) and has links to Ergomo on his website, then people who look at his (Peter's) posts may easily feel that he is making a 'solid' (i.e. it is more than opinion) judgement on the Ergomo's validity and accuracy. I *question* Peter's judgement on his statement (his original post on this subject was made after 2 rides, and without having used the other two power meters). Had i not challenged his opinion others may have thought he was comparing the Ergomo to the PT and SRM as well (which he clearly wasn't). On the other hand, i have way more than two rides on the Ergomo and wouldn't (as a professional in the business) make such assertions.

Again, I'll add that i'm not knocking *or* advocating the Ergomo in this thread, i'm merely commentating on Peters 'rushed' response (as someone in the business).

Ric

I suggest that you take on board Larry's comment with regards your approach to the posting of opinions other than your own. I for one certainly find it to be over the top and can assure you it does not encourage me to post my thoughts or opinions freely.

With regards my own posting on this thread (or any other) I do not make claim to be an expert in the field (unlike you) nor do I mention my business in my posts. My background is therefore of no bearing. 99.9 % of people reading my post would simply take it as it is intended i.e a simple opinion from an interested party.

With regards my "rushed" response. I had done a fair amount of research on Ergomo and other power devices before ordering the Ergomo. Whether I had 2 rides or 200 rides would not help me ascertain the accuracy of the machine and my comments are unlikely to change - they were simply my initial opinions.

That's not really the point here in my opinion, the issue that bothers me (and obviously Larry too) is your approach to others on the forum that have less knowledge than yourself.

Please do not write another post defending your position - it is very clear to all. I just hope you are able to take on board the comment re your approach. It is otherwise a great forum with much interesting information (a lot of it from yourself)

Peter