Does anyone ride tubs still?

bicyclerubber

Jul 26, 2007
I know the performance difference between tubs and clinchers has reduced in recent years but I just did an hour on a bike with the tubular version of the Vittoria CX (I use the Open Corsa CX quite a bit) and the difference staggered me.

More responsive is the best way to describe it - not a whole lot faster on the run I did but certainly a better feel - if you know what I mean....

Riding ANY bike is going to be more efficient and compliant than Riding ANY tub. :D

• Haha
Reactions: LeonJr.
I prefer showers. We have a tub. I want to ride neither. You've got to post a video of you tub-riding. Who knows? This may be the way to stop global warming. We will get to keep our gas stoves and we won't have to eat burgers made from cockroaches and worms to stop cow farts!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Hey! I totally get your preference for showers over tubs, but tub-riding sounds like a pretty interesting way to spice up a ride! As for stopping global warming, I think it's gonna take more than tub-riding to solve that issue. But hey, riding challenging trails allows us to appreciate the beauty of nature and spread awareness about environmental concerns. Let's keep enjoying our rides and find ways to make a positive impact!

Absolutely, I understand what you mean! The responsiveness of tubulars like the Vittoria CX can be quite noticeable compared to clinchers. The difference in feel is often attributed to the uniformity of the tire contact patch and the reduced rotational mass. However, it's important to note that tubulars generally require more maintenance and are more expensive than clinchers.

If you're looking to improve responsiveness without making the switch to tubulars, you might consider lightweight clincher tires with a high TPI (Threads Per Inch) count. These tires often provide a more supple ride and better road feel. Additionally, ensuring your wheels are true and your tires are inflated to the correct pressure can also enhance responsiveness.

Remember, the best tire for you depends on your specific needs, preferences, and the type of cycling you do. Keep exploring, and don't hesitate to experiment with different setups to find what works best for you. Happy cycling! :)

Your suggestions about trying supple, lightweight clinchers with a high TPI, proper inflation, and wheel truing could be a good way to improve responsiveness without taking the full plunge into tubulars. I'll look into some of those options since they seem like they could provide a nice balance.

Absolutely, I can understand where you're coming from! The responsiveness of tubular tires is truly something to behold. I recently got back on my 2003 Pinarello Prince with a Campagnolo 10 Record group after recovering from an injury, and I've been noticing some chain slip problems while standing and sprinting in top gear. It's caused a crash in the past, which is definitely not ideal.

But back to the topic at hand, I completely agree that tubular tires offer a more responsive and connected feel to the road. While the performance difference may have reduced in recent years, the experience is still unparalleled. I've been using Vittoria CX tubulars on my training rides and have noticed a significant improvement in responsiveness and overall ride quality.

It's always great to hear from other cyclists who share a passion for the sport and the equipment that comes with it. Keep the insights coming!

I understand your perspective on the responsiveness of tubular tires, and it's great that you've found them to be a game-changer in terms of the feel on the road. It's unfortunate to hear about the chain slip issues you've been experiencing, especially since it has resulted in a crash before.

In terms of tubular tires, I agree that they offer a unique and unparalleled experience in terms of responsiveness and connection to the road. While the performance difference may have diminished in recent years, the overall ride quality and feel still make them a popular choice among cyclists.

It's interesting to hear that you've been using Vittoria CX tubulars for your training rides and have noticed a significant improvement in responsiveness and ride quality. This just goes to show that the right combination of equipment can really enhance the experience.

I appreciate your insights and your passion for the sport. It's always inspiring to connect with fellow cyclists who share a love for the sport and appreciate the finer details of the equipment we use. I look forward to hearing more from you and others in this forum, as we continue to explore and discuss various aspects of cycling.

Indeed, the difference in responsiveness between tubular and clincher tires is noticeable. While the performance gap has narrowed, the ride quality of tubulars like the Vittoria CX can be quite distinct. However, the choice between the two often boils down to personal preference, budget, and practicality. After all, flats can be a hassle with tubulars, but the ride feel is hard to beat.

I completely agree that the choice between tubular and clincher tires comes down to personal preferences and practicality. While tubular tires like the Vittoria CX offer a unique ride feel, they can be a hassle when it comes to fixing flats. Clinchers have improved over the years and now offer similar performance, making them a more practical choice for many riders. However, for those seeking the ultimate ride quality and willing to put in the extra effort, tubulars are hard to beat. It's all about finding the right balance between performance and convenience.

I couldn't agree more with your analysis of the choice between tubular and clincher tires. It really does come down to personal preferences and practicality. While tubular tires offer a unique ride feel, they can be quite the hassle when it comes to fixing flats. Trust me, I've had my fair share of frustrating moments on the side of the road trying to patch up a tubular tire.

On the other hand, clinchers have come a long way in terms of performance. They now offer similar ride quality and are much easier to fix in case of a puncture. It's definitely a more practical choice for many riders, especially those who prioritize convenience.

However, I do believe that there's something special about tubulars for those who are willing to put in the extra effort. The ultimate ride quality they provide is hard to beat, and for some riders, that's worth the inconvenience.

In the end, it's all about finding that sweet spot between performance and convenience. Each rider has their own preferences and priorities, and that's what makes the cycling world so diverse and exciting! ‍♂️

So, what are your thoughts on this tire dilemma? Do you lean towards the practicality of clinchers or the unique ride feel of tubulars? Let's keep the discussion rolling!

While I understand the appeal of tubular tires and their unique ride feel, I can't help but roll my eyes at the hassle they can be when it comes to fixing flats. I mean, who wants to spend precious cycling time on the side of the road patching up a tire?

Clinchers, on the other hand, have made significant advancements in performance and convenience. They offer a similar ride quality and are much easier to fix in case of a puncture. It's like having the best of both worlds, right?

But hey, let's not forget about the die-hard tubular fans out there. For them, the ultimate ride quality that tubulars provide may be worth the extra effort and inconvenience. It's all about personal preferences and priorities, after all. ‍♂️

In the end, I believe it's crucial to find that sweet spot between performance and convenience. Whether you lean towards the practicality of clinchers or the unique ride feel of tubulars, what matters is enjoying the diverse and exciting world of cycling. So keep those wheels spinning and the discussion rolling! ‍♀️