Does Anyone Run?... I have a question for you.

cycling_jedi

Aug 13, 2006
I have not been able to ride lately, so the other day I tried to jog a mile. I figured I could run during the winter months because it takes less time and is still good excercise.

but.....

I clocked how far a half mile from my house was and I ran there and back... I actually had to stop at the half mile point a walk a bit back before I started running again and then after about another quarter mile I had to slow down and walk at a fast pace again. When I finished my legs were throbbing and hurt like hell for a few days after that.

Am I doing something wrong or do I just have to get used to running?

Sounds like you just need to get used to it. Make sure you are striking with your heal first, for distance that is the most important. Also no matter how ridiculous you think you look, just run at whatever pace you can. If you are primarily a cyclist your hamstrings will not be as suited for running.
My legs usually start out kinda tight. Last run I did was 10 miles and the first 1 1/2 was warming up those hamstrings. I actually felt the best the last 2 miles(might be because I knew I was almost done.)
I am a triathlete, and have read that its imperative for me to run, and swimming and cycling use the same leg muscles. Running has to be done to balance. That's why they say that if a triathlete hurts themselves so they can't run, the best idea is not to make up for it with swimming or cycling.

So the short answer, yes if you haven't run much, it will take time.
Just keep pounding away, it will get easier.

Cool.... that is what I was hoping to hear... I think I might need to stretch a little more than I did last time, but I think getting used to running will be the most important part.

I did not realize that running uses different muscles than cycling, that could be part of the problem too.

I run on a treadmill as well as cycle. I note that the sore muscles felt after exercises are different following running and cycling, which is pretty good evidence that they have some differences in their demands on your body.

cycling_jedi said:
Cool.... that is what I was hoping to hear... I think I might need to stretch a little more than I did last time, but I think getting used to running will be the most important part.

I did not realize that running uses different muscles than cycling, that could be part of the problem too.
Remember that its better to warm up a little then stretch. Stretching cold muscles and tendons can lead to injury.

since moving back to boston and going to school again, I run almost every day and rarely get on my bicycle (Even though I would like to). Im just too busy with work and school! I enjoy running alot, but i did find that i had to get used to it. It was my legs that needed the adjustment, probably because running involves different muscles. anyways, make sure you stretch both before and after (After is alot more important in my expirence). also don't try and go to far or fast right away, you really can hurt yourself. a general rule I have heard to avoid injury is to avoid increasing total distance/week by more than 10%-15%.

I'm mainly a runner which dabbles in cycling and triathlons, before your run be sure to do a warm up. I usually run 1/4-1/2 miles and then do active stretching or form running. (think high knees, butt kicks, karaoke, skipping) then you can do your sit up's w/e. Then when you are done with your run, do your static stretching so you're ready to go the next day. After that it just takes time to build a mileage base.

Another thing that I can think of is after my biking leg during a tri my leg's do feel like Jell-O and it's very awkward for about 100ft, it could be that you're just used to biking so again it will just take some time running.

One last thought, did you get your running shoes at a running store with running experts?

cycling_jedi said:
I have not been able to ride lately, so the other day I tried to jog a mile. I figured I could run during the winter months because it takes less time and is still good excercise.

but.....

I clocked how far a half mile from my house was and I ran there and back... I actually had to stop at the half mile point a walk a bit back before I started running again and then after about another quarter mile I had to slow down and walk at a fast pace again. When I finished my legs were throbbing and hurt like hell for a few days after that.

Yep, like others have said, you just have to get used to it. I'd briefly dabbled in running last year but this fall I decided to do a little bit of training for 5K's and the like. After my first 3 mile run, my legs felt pretty shot for a good day or two. I've gotten to the point where I don't feel the effort very much after I'm done with the run. It's hard to get out to run consistently when it competes for time with cycling, and cycling usually wins.

i was wondering kinda the same thing. i ride a decent amount and run occasionally. i did a 5k race yesterday and i had the worst pain on my side after just a little bit. so bad that i couldn't hardly breath. it went away and then reappeared on the other side. my hr wasn't going crazy and i put out a much harder effort when riding.

what did i do wrong? what causes that much cramping in my side?

Limit food 3 hours before your race, drink water before your race, and strengthen your core to avoid side cramps. If you get a side cramp apply pressure to it and if you are lucky it will go away, if nothing else it will fell better. I've run 1/2 mile like this in a race.

I can understand how running would be hard for a hard core cyclist, even Lance is victim to a stiff running form. Think Kenyans, nice and relaxed.

cycling_jedi said:
Maybe !

Keep it up, running is fun and it is a great way to lose weight and cross train.

Reins said:
One last thought, did you get your running shoes at a running store with running experts?
Bingo !

I remember when I took up running again (7+ years ago). I tried running in a pair of cheap cross trainers... Man what a mistake! I went out the next day and bought a pair of Asics Gels.... Man what a difference! Don't even attempt to start running in something other than "Running" shoes, you will just get frustrated.

You might want to look at Asic's Gel's or Saucony at first, they make great shoes for the beginner.

http://www.runnersworld.com/topic/0,7122,s6-238-261-0-0,00.html

lw

cheapie said:
what causes that much cramping in my side?
Like said, core body fitness is important.
Also they say to breath on your left foot.
I do ab exercises about twice a week, and never get the side pain.

thanks all! i'll start doing core execises and run again and see if there's any difference.

cheapie said:
thanks all! i'll start doing core execises and run again and see if there's any difference.
ditto on the thanks...

I am going to keep at it. Now that I dont have time to cycle I am going to run, but I will have to start at maybe 1/2 mile and work my way up... I might even be running less than 1/2 mile to start.

What are "core excercises". I think I need to do them too.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

You could try "Gallowalking." Jeff Galloway's method. Run/walk, which you are already doing, only you walk before you get tired.

I find Maffetone's recommendation of running at your "Maximum Aerobic Function" quite helpful in keeping fatigue at bay.

Both these guys have useful things to say and I feel beginners can benefit a lot from reading their books.

cycling_jedi said:

but.....

Just takes time! Like any other sport or activity, you need to become used to the motions. Running is definitely harder than cycling in my book, but cycling is much more fun. I run about 2-3 miles every day. Took me a few months of cramping and shin splints to get used to it. Now I can run 6 miles nothing.

Good luck and keep it up!

cycling_jedi said:
ditto on the thanks...

I am going to keep at it. Now that I dont have time to cycle I am going to run, but I will have to start at maybe 1/2 mile and work my way up... I might even be running less than 1/2 mile to start.

What are "core excercises". I think I need to do them too.

Thanks again for all the help guys!
http://www.criticalbench.com/exercises/oblique-exercises.htm
http://www.criticalbench.com/exercises/abdominal-exercises.htm

I started running about a month ago. My legs are so used to cycling that I have very limited flexibility, dexterity, and balance. I even used to run cross country, but that was 5 years ago. Now I can't run at all, and it's a little frustrating. Like the others have said... warm up, don't run more than about 2-3 miles at a time, and don't increase your mileage by more than 10 percent a week. Get the right running shoes. After that, make sure you warm up for about 1/2-1 miles, and trust me on this one. Start strengthening your land legs by playing some basketball or walking more, too. You'd be surprised how strong exercise niches are, physiologically and mentally.