Does Bike Riding Reduce Belly Fat?

roseblanchgte

Jun 1, 2015
I hate exercising, but LOVE to ride bikes. I'm pretty toned all over except for my gut. I need to lose about 3 inches off my waist, but would like to do so by bike riding. Is this possible?

Belly or any other fat can only be reduced by burning more calories than you consume. So yes, riding a bike can help you lose fat. Well any exercise can really so just pick something you enjoy.

Is it possible? Absolutely!

The doing a certain exercise to lose weight on a certain part of the body thing is a myth. When you do any exercise and burn calories, you're burning them all over, so yes cycling can certainly help you to lose some of that belly.

this is a common misconception with several things wrong with it:
1: "Spot reducing" or losing fat on a particular part of the body and not others, is impossible.
2: Bike riding DOES burn alot of calories, so it makes you lose fat on all parts of the body, but most people only notice it on their stomachs, thighs, or other "fat spots"
3: This claim is mainly made by severely overweight or older men, because it is extremely easy for men to lose fat around their middle. It is harder for most women because they have less fat reserves in their midsection and more on their hips, thighs, and chest; so this is where most of the fat is lost.

I would definitely reccomend bike riding because it is easy, efficient, and fun! Are you doing the "abs diet"? If so, they generally recommend this because it can help tone the abs (balancing) while helping to lose fat all over the body.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
Health benefits of bike riding:

Increasing Fitness
Your strength, stamina, aerobic fitness and general muscle function will all be improved. Cycling is a low impact activity and one of the safest ways to exercise without risk of over-exertion or strain to muscles and joints.

Lowering Risk of Heart Attack
Your heart muscles are strengthened, resting pulse is lowered and blood fat levels reduced.

Shedding Excess Weight
By burning body fat and raising your metabolic rate you can lose weight. If you undertake physical activity regularly you can enjoy a more varied diet without increasing body weight.

Bike riding is good cardio. I suggest you do it HIIT for maximum effect (high intensity interval training). You alternate periods of extremely fast biking (like sprinting) followed by periods of slower or "jogging" pedaling, figure around one minuite of each.

your best weapon in your goal is to eat healthy though. No amount of bike riding will help you if you eat like ****.

Hell yes it does. Any activity where you are burning any sort of calories by extension will reduce body fat. But you have to keep in mind, it has to be don in conjunction with healthy eating.

Hell yes it does. Any activity where you are burning any sort of calories by extension will reduce body fat. But you have to keep in mind, it has to be don in conjunction with healthy eating.

Yes it can help but remember that you should not over exercise. Continue with your daily training schedules and you will notice the difference. You should also be performing other exercises.

Good exercising keeps your body fit. You should also be going to the gym. Eat a balanced diet and you will have the strength to continue exercising.

When I returned to my biking, my husband advised me to measure my waist. That is to monitor if my waistline is declining in consonance with my weight loss. After each week, I would step on the scale and use the tape measure. I wonder what I'm doing wrong because both measurement remained constant - weight and belly. So now I stopped measuring.

Another forum I am part of had a great thread about "beer belly."
It amazes me that many people actually think a calorie can "go" somewhere! It's like a supply side of the spot reduction myth.
A calorie is a calorie, it doesn't know where to go first or where to burn off first. A beer calorie is the same as an apple calorie.
What do you guys think?

It will definetely help reduce the annoying belly fat as any excersise that requires effort would. If you want to be more effective though you will have to consult a professional who will propose you the appropriate excersises for that matter.

​A 160-lb. person who rides for 30 minutes at 12 to 14 mph burns about 384 calories, estimates the Health Status website. An hour of riding will burn 768 calories. Eat the wrong foods or too much of even OK foods, and you will regain the calories you laboriously pedaled off, and your belly will be hanging out for some time. The most effective way to make that belly fat go for good is to combine exercise with a calorie-wise diet.

bicycle-benefits-image.jpg

Yep it does. It won't target the stomach, but you will notice less fat as long as you are consistently biking. You'll be burning 100-600 calories a trip and if you do that 3 times a week, you'd burn up to a pound a week!

Exercise of any kind is a catch 22 when it comes to weight loss. Exercise burns calories, stimulates the metabolism and builds/tones muscle... All good things.

Exercise also stimulates appetite, making you eat more. Not only that, but often you use exercise as justification for eating less than healthy food. "Sure I can eat this giant bag of Cheetos, I just rode 8 miles!"

No one wants to hear this but weight loss is done with the mouth and stomache. Going for a 30 to 60 minute walk 3 times a day and eating healthy will take the weight off easily. Walking is enough to stimulate the body without upping appetite.

Cycling will help build fitness, which is part of a healthy lifestyle.

It definitely does. You can lose excess body fat through cycling. It's an aerobic exercise. However, if you want to lose the body fat faster, cut down on calorie intake. Eat 5 times a day than 3 big meals. Don't compromise on wholesome nutrition. Cut down on red meat and highly saturated fats. You should soon see your tummy going in.

No, not really. It doesn't engage your core muscles and stomach in way that you will loose. The best for that is walking, jogging, running, and jumping rope. This stimulates the lymphatics and hits your core. Sit ups won't do it either. Sit ups work after you have trimmed the gut down. If you have fat covering the muscle it won't show no matter how many sit ups you do.

Like most have already said, caloric deficit, cycling exercise, and target specific exercises will help lose that gut. But what people here haven't touched on what type of calories that are consumed is actually hindering your weight lose. Carbohydrates, sugar, fructose, and starches are calories that should be avoided or cut back on to lose weight more efficiently.

Those types of calories are insulin spiking calories and when your insulin spikes that sends all of you intake calories to fat cells, and not towards energy where is burnt off. That's why when you eat protein and animal fat it goes straight to energy. As opposed to carbs and such where it is stored in body fat because of the insulin spike.