Does Bike Riding Reduce Belly Fat?

For losing belly fat you might want to do some special exercises. They don't have to be crunches. There are other exercises that are very effective when it comes to toning your abdominal muscles. There are plenty of youtube videos that will show you how you can do it. Also, swimming would be an excellent alternative to get toned all over. It strengthens every muscle in your body and makes you look all tight and smooth after a while...

I remember when I first stayed in my husband's house, there were some cyclists in their area. On weekend mornings, a group of cyclists would gather in the next block to my husband's house. The guys were in their cycling attire, their bikes parked by the side of the road and they were lined up doing stretchings and other callisthenics. I would usually see them when I go to the market. I had no idea what they were doing that for because from what I understand, a cyclist has no problem with regards to their physicality.

I think it is difficult for me to lose that little fat in front of my lower abs. That is what I am trying to eliminate all this time. I tried cardio exercises and certainly I lose some pounds but not that stubborn belly fat. I gave up targeting that little monster that would not go but I was convinced by those who ride a bike because most if not all of them have firm. tight and flat abs.

I think its weird that you would say that you would say that you hate exercising but love to ride. You do know that cycling is an exercise right? It's like saying I hate to drink soda but love pepsi. You contradict yourself.

Just keep up the exercise and you will lose weight if you watch your diet. Certain foods will go straight to the belly.

Cycling helps one cut back on belly fat so it must mean you can lose weight around your middle. I am lucky not to have any issue with that but I would think it does.

Cycling helps one cut back on belly fat so it must mean you can lose weight around your middle. I am lucky not to have any issue with that but I would think it does.

It can but you have to combine it with other exercises. Try HIIT exercise, there are plenty on YouTube. I lost most of my belly weight through these exercises. Biking is mostly for toning up my legs, I guess. Eating the right foods can also help. Eat enough of fruits and vegetables and less of the junk. I guess that is my problem right now, I cannot let go of my carbs, which is mostly rice. Some say that rice is not the culprit of belly fat. But I'm eating right and exercising, rice is my only downfall.

Generally, it's really hard to actually spot reduce fat. You're better off working towards losing weight overall, and you'll eventually see your belly reduce along with everything else.

One thing you can do is work some toning exercises into your routine. I really like pilates for this, and I find that it's also a really good balance to higher impact stuff like biking or running.

@Totalarmordestine pretty much summed it up nicely. Your body decides where it is going to store and remove fat from. I would add that part of the confusion about targeted fat loss stems from the ability to target areas for muscular development. People don't realize that just because you can make muscle bulkier by exercising corresponding parts doesn't mean that body fat is regulated in the same way.

It's not just about managing exercise and calories when you get older - it's about managing stress too. Exercise is a form of stress, as is working too many hours and worrying about things. Rest and relaxation is key - get enough sleep and work out hard enough and the weight will come off.

How can exercise be a form of stress? I use exercise to relieve my stress (and lose weight as well to reply to the OP) or do you mean stress on the body? Either way exercise and especially cycling is good for you in my opinion, and I'm sure a lot of others would agree.

I want to lose my belly fat too. I guess any exercise, including biking, can reduce fat or excess weight. I read in a magazine that the best exercises that could help lose weight and fat are cardiovascular exercises like running, swimming and cycling, so I guess cycling can really help. Maybe doing cycling in combination with other exercises and physical activities can further help lose weight and fat. I can also observe that most professional cyclists and people who are very much into the activity are fit and have flat stomachs so I guess it depends on how much time is given to exercising, staying fit and also dieting.

The only way to target fat loss in particular areas is surgically. You can increase muscle mass in a given area by doing the correct exercises but you can't target fat loss in the same way. You can effect your over all weight by consuming less and exercising more provided that you eat right and sleep enough.

Of course it does. Any exercise will burn calories and burning calories is a start to loose fat. The second step is calorie intake. You need to make it lower than the amount of burned ones. If the problem is only your belly it will be hard to concentrate only on it but you have those straps to help you focus on the belly and sweat. Another thing is, when people ask me if i can give them any advise on this and i say the exact thing like here because it is that simple. They usually ask me if they are going to loose too much weight because they do not want to do that. Well, it is important that people know the kg of fat is bigger than kg of muscles. So you might look thinner and have the same weight. Probably you will loose some because of the calorie deficit but if controlled in a proper manner the results will be good. If you want to look bigger after that you need to train in gym or at home. Whatever you want to achieve it is possible with good will and discipline.

Bicycling CAN help lose your weight and get rid of your stomach fat, but only if you are very persistent, determined and not lazy. :)
The thing is that you need to follow certain 'rules' and try to be as focused as possible, though you need to have some great motivation (which honestly I lack)..These 'rules' are as followed:
  1. You need to ride your bike at some moderate rate - slow, steady pace - usually 3x a week for an hour or two.
  2. Do some work out prior to and after your cycling, like stretching exercises, some push ups and a friend advised me planks are great for stomach fat, and making your stomack looks better and thinner over time.
  3. Of course it goes without saying one has to eat healthy food, pay attention not to have too much of bread intake (the best is to get rid of eating bread and pasta), sweets and fried food that is full of fat.

All types of exercise will reduce weight but when it comes to flattening or toning the stomach area then i'm not sure cycling is the most effective at working those muscles to be honest.

While it won't do any harm of course, other exercises such as situps will help more.

You don't really have much choice in the matter of where you body wants to burn fat first, but riding can really help burn calories and cross your fingers it'll be from the gut!

The main thing is to really keep an eye on your caloric intake and everybody' favourite, calorie counting. Do you bike for commute purposes? Because using it as transportation is a great way to burn calories without really changing your schedule, much easier to spend longer riding when you are being productive in other ways as well.