Does Campagnolo rear hub *need* offset rim?

bfd

Guest
Campagnolo rear hub is known to have alot of dish and many prefer to
use an "offset" rim to counter it. A few years ago, I purchased a
Campy Chorus 9/10 rear hub and on the advice of my LBS, I had them
built up the wheel with a Ritchey Aero offset rim, DT 14/15 db spokes
and I believe aluminum alloy nipples. The wheels was fine. I didn't
use the wheel much, have maybe 1000 miles or so on it. Not very much
at all.

Recently, I went to put this wheel on my bike and found a crack around
the nipple. Its the same kind of crack that you see from the
"anodizing" and/or rims without any eyelets or both. As you can
imagine, I am very disappointed.

So, it appears I need to repair my rear wheel. The question is do I
need to use another offset type rim? One rim I was looking at is the
Velocity Aerohead OC (off center) rim here (scroll down to Aerohead
OC):

http://peterwhitecycles.com/velocity.asp

The problem is it appears to be similar to the Ritchey offset rim as
its anodized AND it doesn't appear to have any eyelets.

The other option I'm considering is I have a couple of the old silver
Mavic MA-2 rims hanging in my garage (got a decent deal at $27 each).
Although its not a offset rim, it isn't anodized (or doesn't appear to
be) and it does have eyelets. Would this be a better choice?

Thanks for your help!

bfd wrote:
> Campagnolo rear hub is known to have alot of dish and many prefer to
> use an "offset" rim to counter it. A few years ago, I purchased a
> Campy Chorus 9/10 rear hub and on the advice of my LBS, I had them
> built up the wheel with a Ritchey Aero offset rim, DT 14/15 db spokes
> and I believe aluminum alloy nipples. The wheels was fine. I didn't
> use the wheel much, have maybe 1000 miles or so on it. Not very much
> at all.
>
> Recently, I went to put this wheel on my bike and found a crack around
> the nipple. Its the same kind of crack that you see from the
> "anodizing" and/or rims without any eyelets or both. As you can
> imagine, I am very disappointed.
>
> So, it appears I need to repair my rear wheel. The question is do I
> need to use another offset type rim? One rim I was looking at is the
> Velocity Aerohead OC (off center) rim here (scroll down to Aerohead
> OC):
>
> http://peterwhitecycles.com/velocity.asp
>
> The problem is it appears to be similar to the Ritchey offset rim as
> its anodized AND it doesn't appear to have any eyelets.
>
> The other option I'm considering is I have a couple of the old silver
> Mavic MA-2 rims hanging in my garage (got a decent deal at $27 each).
> Although its not a offset rim, it isn't anodized (or doesn't appear to
> be) and it does have eyelets. Would this be a better choice?

unless they are the ancient red label versions, they /are/ anodized.
and they're not that great of a rim compared to the "open" series that
came later. their low profile makes them much more prone to flat spots
compared to more modern higher profile rims.

> Thanks for your help!

a campy hub doesn't /need/ an off-center rim, but it improves the spoke
tension differential slightly. but most o/c rims have no eyelets and
their quality is nothing special. and the 2mm offset typically seen
gives only 10% spoke tension differential improvement.

bfd wrote:
> Campagnolo rear hub is known to have alot of dish and many prefer to
> use an "offset" rim to counter it. A few years ago, I purchased a
> Campy Chorus 9/10 rear hub and on the advice of my LBS, I had them
> built up the wheel with a Ritchey Aero offset rim, DT 14/15 db spokes
> and I believe aluminum alloy nipples. The wheels was fine. I didn't
> use the wheel much, have maybe 1000 miles or so on it. Not very much
> at all.
>
> Recently, I went to put this wheel on my bike and found a crack around
> the nipple. Its the same kind of crack that you see from the
> "anodizing" and/or rims without any eyelets or both. As you can
> imagine, I am very disappointed.
>
> So, it appears I need to repair my rear wheel. The question is do I
> need to use another offset type rim? One rim I was looking at is the
> Velocity Aerohead OC (off center) rim here (scroll down to Aerohead
> OC):
>
> http://peterwhitecycles.com/velocity.asp
>
> The problem is it appears to be similar to the Ritchey offset rim as
> its anodized AND it doesn't appear to have any eyelets.
>
> The other option I'm considering is I have a couple of the old silver
> Mavic MA-2 rims hanging in my garage (got a decent deal at $27 each).
> Although its not a offset rim, it isn't anodized (or doesn't appear to
> be) and it does have eyelets. Would this be a better choice?
>
> Thanks for your help!

From my experience, a Campy 9/10 rim doesn't *need* an offset rim, but
I expect it would help. I've used other "helps", namely thinner spokes
on the non-drive side. This allows the non-drive spokes to avoid going
slack without as much drive-side tension. The first keeps the nds
spokes from breaking, the latter helps avoid rim failure.

Mark J.

On Sep 24, 1:01 pm, bfd <[email protected]> wrote:
> Campagnolo rear hub is known to have alot of dish and many prefer to
> use an "offset" rim to counter it. A few years ago, I purchased a
> Campy Chorus 9/10 rear hub and on the advice of my LBS, I had them
> built up the wheel with a Ritchey Aero offset rim, DT 14/15 db spokes
> and I believe aluminum alloy nipples. The wheels was fine. I didn't
> use the wheel much, have maybe 1000 miles or so on it. Not very much
> at all.
>
> Recently, I went to put this wheel on my bike and found a crack around
> the nipple. Its the same kind of crack that you see from the
> "anodizing" and/or rims without any eyelets or both. As you can
> imagine, I am very disappointed.
>
> So, it appears I need to repair my rear wheel. The question is do I
> need to use another offset type rim? One rim I was looking at is the
> Velocity Aerohead OC (off center) rim here (scroll down to Aerohead
> OC):
>
> http://peterwhitecycles.com/velocity.asp
>
> The problem is it appears to be similar to the Ritchey offset rim as
> its anodized AND it doesn't appear to have any eyelets.
>
> The other option I'm considering is I have a couple of the old silver
> Mavic MA-2 rims hanging in my garage (got a decent deal at $27 each).
> Although its not a offset rim, it isn't anodized (or doesn't appear to
> be) and it does have eyelets. Would this be a better choice?
>
> Thanks for your help!

First of all..aluminum nipples on a non eyeleted rim is generally a
bad idea. Second, I have built perhaps1000+ wheels in the last 7-8
years on Campagnolo rear hubs and non offset rear rims. Campag casette
hubs, which have been around for about 17 years, were being made into
wheels way before OC rims and wheelsouttaboxes. Good selection of
components for the rider(no light rims/too few spokes/thin spokes/
alloy nipps-4 strikes and you are out), good buuilkd with the proper
tension and the wheel will last for a looooonnnngggg time.

Use the MA-2, build well and you will be fine.

On Sep 24, 11:33 pm, Mark
<[email protected]> wrote:
> bfd wrote:
> > Campagnolo rear hub is known to have alot of dish and many prefer to
> > use an "offset" rim to counter it. A few years ago, I purchased a
> > Campy Chorus 9/10 rear hub and on the advice of my LBS, I had them
> > built up the wheel with a Ritchey Aero offset rim, DT 14/15 db spokes
> > and I believe aluminum alloy nipples. The wheels was fine. I didn't
> > use the wheel much, have maybe 1000 miles or so on it. Not very much
> > at all.

> > Recently, I went to put this wheel on my bike and found a crack around
> > the nipple. Its the same kind of crack that you see from the
> > "anodizing" and/or rims without any eyelets or both. As you can
> > imagine, I am very disappointed.

> > So, it appears I need to repair my rear wheel. The question is do I
> > need to use another offset type rim? One rim I was looking at is the
> > Velocity Aerohead OC (off center) rim here (scroll down to Aerohead
> > OC):

> >http://peterwhitecycles.com/velocity.asp

> > The problem is it appears to be similar to the Ritchey offset rim as
> > its anodized AND it doesn't appear to have any eyelets.

> > The other option I'm considering is I have a couple of the old silver
> > Mavic MA-2 rims hanging in my garage (got a decent deal at $27 each).
> > Although its not a offset rim, it isn't anodized (or doesn't appear to
> > be) and it does have eyelets. Would this be a better choice?

> > Thanks for your help!

> From my experience, a Campy 9/10 rim doesn't *need* an offset rim, but
> I expect it would help. I've used other "helps", namely thinner spokes
> on the non-drive side. This allows the non-drive spokes to avoid going
> slack without as much drive-side tension. The first keeps the nds
> spokes from breaking, the latter helps avoid rim failure.
>
> Mark J.

Anything that increases left side tension w/o increasing right side
tension and keeping the base of the 'triangle-hub-rim-hub' wide is a
good thing. Campag hubs right flange is only 1mm closer to the center.
3 cross, 14/15 spokes, build well and all will be fine.