Does Chorus ergo still have ball bearings?

CampyO

Guest
I'm building up a new frame and trying to decide which ergopower levers to use.
Back when Chorus levers were aluminum, the specs said that they used ball
bearings. Now that they've switched to carbon, ball bearings are no longer
mentioned. Do they still have ball bearings? If not, is the Chorus internal
mechanism no different than Centaur at this point (which appears to be
unchanged since the Daytona days)?

Thanks in advance.
Tom

CampyO wrote:

> I'm building up a new frame and trying to decide which ergopower levers to use.
> Back when Chorus levers were aluminum, the specs said that they used ball
> bearings. Now that they've switched to carbon, ball bearings are no longer
> mentioned. Do they still have ball bearings? If not, is the Chorus internal
> mechanism no different than Centaur at this point (which appears to be
> unchanged since the Daytona days)?

There's a small cartridge bearing in the Chorus lever still.
(Lever body is an RE- number) Absolutely no noticeable
difference IMHO. And what's to change? Ergo's a truly
inspired design - dependable, serviceable, affordable.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

campo-<< I'm building up a new frame and trying to decide which ergopower
levers to use.
Back when Chorus levers were aluminum, the specs said that they used ball
bearings. Now that they've switched to carbon, ball bearings are no longer
mentioned. Do they still have ball bearings? >><BR><BR>

Chorus still has teeny cart ball bearings but the brass bushing of Centaur and
all others make for a lever that feels the same, works the same, lasts the
same. The 'big' difference between Record and Chorus is a carbon spring carrier
and drilled for lighter weight shift disc for Rewcord 'ultra'.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302