Does Color / Finish Matter?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Captain, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. Captain

    Captain Guest

    What Color or Finish would you choose for a brand new bike / trike ?
    Do you think Color or Finish has a functional purpose ? Would you
    choose a bright color to be more visible to cars or a multi- color
    paint job in a custom motif ? If cost wasn't a factor - what would
    your "Ultimate Finish" be ? Include wheels & seats in your schemes !

    Tags:

  2. Fred

    Fred Guest

    "Captain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What Color or Finish would you choose for a brand new bike / trike ?
    > Do you think Color or Finish has a functional purpose ? Would you
    > choose a bright color to be more visible to cars or a multi- color
    > paint job in a custom motif ? If cost wasn't a factor - what would
    > your "Ultimate Finish" be ? Include wheels & seats in your schemes !

    To answer the question in your subject line: It's an individual thing - but
    your bike will 'go much better' if you like the look of it.

  3. Red is fastest 8^)

    Jeff

  4. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 21 Apr 2006 23:30:41 -0700, "Captain" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What Color or Finish would you choose for a brand new bike / trike ?
    >Do you think Color or Finish has a functional purpose ? Would you
    >choose a bright color to be more visible to cars or a multi- color
    >paint job in a custom motif ? If cost wasn't a factor - what would
    >your "Ultimate Finish" be ? Include wheels & seats in your schemes !

    Anything that impresses / intimidates my competition.

    Ron

  5. di

    di Guest

  6. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:30:41 -0700, Captain wrote:

    > What Color or Finish would you choose for a brand new bike / trike ?
    > Do you think Color or Finish has a functional purpose ? Would you
    > choose a bright color to be more visible to cars or a multi- color
    > paint job in a custom motif ? If cost wasn't a factor - what would
    > your "Ultimate Finish" be ? Include wheels & seats in your schemes !

    I know from experience and observation that yellow frames are very
    visible. A couple of years ago I had a yellow frame that people said
    could be seen from a long way away. It was a normal primary yellow, not
    fluorescent, but any fluorescent color should be very visible too.

    As far as paint goes, polyurethane such as Imron is very durable, and
    repairable too. It's also the most expensive. Next would be powder coat,
    which is harder and even more durable than polyurethane, but not
    really repairable.

    My favorite is bare, brushed Ti, which has an elegant, low-key appearance,
    is corrosion proof, and any scratches can be buffed out.

    For parts, I prefer polished aluminum to black anodizing or paint. Silver
    doesn't show scratches, and can be buffed out if needed. Black parts like
    cranks tend to look shabby after a few years.

    Matt O.

  7. Captain

    Captain Guest

    Here's proof from a journal published in Evanston, Illinois -- home of
    Northwestern University. It couldn't be published if it wasn't true ;)

    Interesting: What if a trike / bike were painted Ultra Violet ? From
    another Journal:

    Physical Ultra-violet has a chemical and bacteriocidal action on the
    blood and tissues of the body. It breaks down the bacterial toxins and
    helps the white blood cells in their phagocytic action.

    Ultra-violet's chemical reaction depends upon its vitamin reaction in
    the system. Vitamins A, B, C, D and E are affected by the ultra-violet
    light.

    Ultra-violet plays a great part in the calcium phosphorus balance and
    in iron and iodine fixation.

    Ultra-violet accelerates the lymphatic and circulatory activities.

    Ultra-violet normalizes all metabolism and glandular activities.

    Ultra-violet stimulates antibody production and immunizes the body
    against disease.

    Ultra-violet has a stimulating action on the Sympathetic System. It,
    however, acts as a sedative to pain.

    Ultra-violet is good for the heart and the lungs.

  8. Captain

[...]

  9. "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:30:41 -0700, Captain wrote:

    > I know from experience and observation that yellow frames are very
    > visible. A couple of years ago I had a yellow frame that people said
    > could be seen from a long way away.

    My bike is supposedly "mango", but it's really warning sign yellow. I picked
    that color not just because I'm fond of orangey-yellow, but also because I
    thought it'd be highly visible. More visible, at least, than some of the
    greens I was looking at, too.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

  10. Ted

    Ted Guest

    Celeste (Bianchi...it is a cult thing)

    Ted.

  11. Mike Rice

    Mike Rice Guest

    On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 00:57:49 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:p[email protected]
    >> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:30:41 -0700, Captain wrote:

    >> I know from experience and observation that yellow frames are very
    >> visible. A couple of years ago I had a yellow frame that people said
    >> could be seen from a long way away.

    >My bike is supposedly "mango", but it's really warning sign yellow. I picked
    >that color not just because I'm fond of orangey-yellow, but also because I
    >thought it'd be highly visible. More visible, at least, than some of the
    >greens I was looking at, too.

    Sorry I can't cite the source, but years ago I read that the human eye
    responds to yellow faster than other colors.

    Indiana Mike

  12. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    Mountain bike in deep cherry red to atomic pineapple fade in pearl.

    Any crazed painters out there?

    Ron

  13. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Mike Rice" <[email protected]e.net> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 00:57:49 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:p[email protected]
    >>> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:30:41 -0700, Captain wrote:

    >>> I know from experience and observation that yellow frames are very
    >>> visible. A couple of years ago I had a yellow frame that people said
    >>> could be seen from a long way away.

    >>My bike is supposedly "mango", but it's really warning sign yellow. I
    >>picked
    >>that color not just because I'm fond of orangey-yellow, but also because I
    >>thought it'd be highly visible. More visible, at least, than some of the
    >>greens I was looking at, too.

    > Sorry I can't cite the source, but years ago I read that the human eye
    > responds to yellow faster than other colors.
    >
    > Indiana Mike

    When I was a kid all the fire engines were painted red. Now some are painted
    yellow. I note that all school buses are also painted yellow. I think we can
    conclude from this that yellow is the most visible color to the human eye.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

  14. Mike Rice <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sorry I can't cite the source, but years ago I read that the human eye
    > responds to yellow faster than other colors.

    IIRC, in Germany many of the letter carriers ride bikes, and their
    bikes are always yellow.

    And we had a thread on this NG not long ago which concluded that TDF
    racers don't stop to go potty, preferring instead just to let to as they
    ride. Which would explain why all the TDF bikes are yellow.
    But really, it's not about appearance, it's about aerodynamics. A
    slicker bike will slide through the air faster. That's why I coat my bike
    with vaseline. I've increased my average speed from 12.32245 to 12.32246
    mph.
    And anyway, I had some leftover vaseline lying around...

    Bill (GD&R)

    __o | More people object to wearing fur than leather because it is
    _`\(,_ | safer to harrass rich white women than motorcycle gangs.
    (_)/ (_) |

  15. di

    di Guest

    "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >. I think we can conclude from this that yellow is the most visible color
    >to the human eye.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

    It's White

  16. My Tourer used to be wood-grained (I called it "pre-processed
    carbonfiber), except for the rear stays and fork tips. It was a rose
    color before that and is now purple.

    Being a tourist, speed was never that much of an issue to me, but I did
    seem to notice a slight improvement in climbing avbility in the
    wood-grain motif.

    Course, I was rading a lot more then too...

    - -
    Comments and opinions compliments of,
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    My web Site:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

    To E-mail me:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

  17. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Ted Wrote: "Celeste (Bianchi...it is a cult thing) "

    You have no idea how close I came to buying a Bianchi just because of
    the color. Retro and modern at the same time. I decided that it really
    said "steal me" better than any other, and went with something else.

    Eric

  18. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> writes:

    > I know from experience and observation that yellow frames are very
    > visible. A couple of years ago I had a yellow frame that people said
    > could be seen from a long way away. It was a normal primary yellow, not
    > fluorescent, but any fluorescent color should be very visible too.

    I've read some back country cycle tourist/campers recommending
    bright colours and especially recommending against green.
    The reasoning is: a green bike might be hard to find if it's
    been parked or stashed among bushes.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  19. St.John

    St.John Guest

    Black.
    if cost was no issue the i'd get Mike LeValley to paint on flames.
    that guy painted a Hellicopter, and one time, when it landed in the
    airport, someone called the fire department. they're that real looking.
    but that's a little unreasonable.

  20. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> I know from experience and observation that yellow frames are very
    >> visible. A couple of years ago I had a yellow frame that people said
    >> could be seen from a long way away. It was a normal primary yellow, not
    >> fluorescent, but any fluorescent color should be very visible too.

    > I've read some back country cycle tourist/campers recommending
    > bright colours and especially recommending against green.
    > The reasoning is: a green bike might be hard to find if it's
    > been parked or stashed among bushes.

    On the other hand, if you were planning to stealth camp
    (which is as good as excuse as any to plug Ken Kifer's bicycle pages, for
    those new to rec.bicycles.misc who may not have been exposed to Ken's
    writing) http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/touring/camping.htm
    you'd want a nice shade of forest green -- sort of like a lot of Trek 520's
    I've seen. [the 520 is a loaded touring bicycle]. I wonder if there's any
    connection?