Does cycling affect well-being at work?

Moritz

Mar 24, 2016
Hello,

My name is Moritz and I’m investigating the performance beliefs of endurance athletes in their sport and at work. This research will be used to gain a better understanding of the factors that drive successful endurance performance and how endurance sport influences our work experience.

So far, participants from the Triathlon community are underrepresented in this study so your participation is much appreciated!

Please consider taking part if you are currently training at a minimum of once a week for an upcoming swimming event, are employed, or self-employed, or a student/ intern/ apprentice, and over 18 years old.

If you whish to be informed about the results of the study, please leave your email address at the end of the survey. This is optional of course! Your information will be kept confidential and will under no circumstances be shared with any third party.

To get to the survey, please follow this link:
https://kent.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/endurance-and-workplace-beliefs

I hope you enjoy taking part in the survey!

Best,
Moritz

Yes of course according to me it helps us in doing nay kind of work because while cycling we all know that our most of the fat burns and it keeps us mentally alert and makes us look fit and slim and, as a result, our confidence and mind power gain automatically which will be very helpful in maintaining our will power and concentration due to which we can focus on our work.So keep cycling and be fit and healthy.

solostarr, it sounds like you made some good experiences with cycling. I'm happy it works for you!
Actually, although there is some supporting literature there is no research that proves true the particular topic I'm researching with my team. I'm afraid I cannot tell you what we are looking at exactly. Answers by participants who read this would be bias. If you are interested in the results, please consider taking part and don't forget to leave your email in the end (optional of course).

Also, thanks a lot for those who completed the survey already!
We just began to collect data so everybody reading this is welcomed to take part in the survey!

Happy Easter!

I am not in training but I have some colleagues who are. From what I notice in their behavior at work, they are spry and alert unlike the others those non-cyclists who are normal with their morning lethargy. And just like those colleagues who are enrolled in the gym, those bikers colleague of mine have something to look forward to especially when the weekend is nearing. In short, cycling has a positive effect to the cyclist at the workplace.

It's more of the release of endorphins (happy hormones) that usually happens when doing any form of exercise, especially cardio. It gives people an elated feeling, a better mood, sharper focus, and an overall better feeling afterwards.

Exercise of any kind is very beneficial. Your body will be fit and strong and that makes a big difference throughout the work day. In jobs that require some physical activity, you can always tell the difference between the athletes and those who don't workout at all. Those who exercise have no difficulty getting through the day and often enjoy the more physical tasks, while those who don't exercise are always saying they are tired and usually whine when they have to do harder work.

Cycling is a great way to enhance your well-being at work. I speak with experience. It helps to decrease stress and put the mind at ease. It's really healthy too. It can help you too lose weight which is always a good step for enhancing your well-being. Any form of exercise is great for your well-being. Cycling is just a really fun form of exercise!

Well, my work isn't physical. So, cycling has nothing to do with it. However, I feel happy when I'm riding an open road to work. It makes my overall day way better.

Sadly, I'm not training for any competitive event right now. But I know some of my friends are training for an event, I'll try and direct them to the survey. Anyway, I do think cycling has a positive effect on my work. Whenever I ride my bike or even exercise, I feel more energised for the day. I end up doing more tasks, either home tasks or work tasks. Comparing it to days that I don't exercise or ride my bike, I feel sluggish and slow.

Exercising and biking are important parts of my day. I always have to have one of them. If I'm not cycling for the day, I'm either walking or swimming. I love keeping my heart rate up with these activities. After doing these, I always feel better and happier. I am always up for new tasks and workloads.

It's more of the release of endorphins (happy hormones) that usually happens when doing any form of exercise, especially cardio. It gives people an elated feeling, a better mood, sharper focus, and an overall better feeling afterwards.
Thanks for the valuable information. I know about one more hormone known as dopamine which is also a feel-good hormone.

Thanks for the valuable information. I know about one more hormone known as dopamine which is also a feel-good hormone.
Yeah, I know about dopamine. It's another feel good and rewarding hormone which is released when you do something you are passionate about and as you are passionate about cycling, dopamine is released.

I've been riding a static bike for years and of late took to outdoor riding. I must say that my experience is positive. The biggest positive outcome has been sound sleep. I sleep at the stroke of 11 every night and wake up at 6 next morning. I used to have problems with my sleep cycle, earlier.

I didn't participate in your survey, but I can say that my experience with bike riding has been a positive one.

I cycle to college and have mixed feelings about it effect on my performance. I do feel like it wakes me up a lot better than say even coffee but I also feel like it puts drain on my energy earlier in the day than when I don't cycle.

I think that with a clean shirt and the supplies to freshen up a bit after your ride that it can be great for your attitude and well being at work. Exercise first thing in your day will boost your metabolism and help you maintain a healthy weight.

I don't cycle regularly but I can say that cycling or any form of exercise does contribute a lot in being more alert and energetic at work especially if you begin your day with an exercise or cycling routine. As what @OursIsTheFury said, these routines release endorphins that help us feel more energized and lively throughout the day.

Does anyone else feel that it also makes you tired quicker in the day? obviously length and intensity of cycle in is huge factor but would anyone ever think "No I won't cycle today because I have to do X and I will not have energy (or Y) if I cycle" ?

It surely has an impact on my feelings at work, and especially if I ride into work. That is pretty rare, though, given how far away I live, but I do try and do i t every once in a while when I have the time. I actually feel like I have a bit more energy if I ride that day, but I guess it does depend on what time of the day and what else I have going on. You know your body best, though, and what it can handle, so just listen to your body.

Does anyone else feel that it also makes you tired quicker in the day? obviously length and intensity of cycle in is huge factor but would anyone ever think "No I won't cycle today because I have to do X and I will not have energy (or Y) if I cycle" ?
I think it depends on how fit you are. I have thought of doing that before when I wasn't in very good shape but was able to work through it. On those days I wouldn't push myself as much and was able to get the work done.

Yea of course the shape you are in does have the greatest impact. I was just wondering if even those in good to great shape ever felt like today I won't cycle as I need all my energy for this task.

An active lifestyle always helps in other areas of life. Your performance should increase in both the boardroom and the bedroom, if you're a physically active person regardless of the sport(s) you participate in. It's important to take care of one's body, and stay healthy in order to tackle life's more challenging aspects.