Does everyone use "missing links' when installing new chains?

scottz123

Nov 16, 2012
Is it advisable to install a KMC X10.93 chain without using 'missing link'? Simply by pressing pin 'in and out' the old fashion way? I had a chain fail at the 'missing link'. Admittedly, I was shifting hard doing acceleration intervals preparing for CX. It was not that old (installed 6/13) and only until recently (2-3 weeks) used for CX workouts. I do not want to chance another failure, so I am going to start with a new chain (another KMC X10.93) and now worried about 'missing link' being a weak spot. I have pressed pins in and out on my MTB while changing chain lengths due to gearing changes with no problems. (Same chain - KMC X10.93) Thanks in advance

How did the missing link fail?

I know there was a bad batch of them out there...hang on...yeah, SRAM 10-speed Powerlink had a recall.

Quote: Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

I know there was a bad batch of them out there...hang on...yeah, SRAM 10-speed Powerlink had a recall.

I've heard the same and have used kmc's with missing links for my previous couple chains under some duress without a hitch. Maybe just got lucky. Now running a Campy chain but will give the kmc11 a go with a missing link when the time comes. The Campy chain and tool is a pricey combo.

danfoz said:
I've heard the same and have used kmc's with missing links for my previous couple chains under some duress without a hitch. Maybe just got lucky. Now running a Campy chain but will give the kmc11 a go with a missing link when the time comes. The Campy chain and tool is a pricey combo.
I had no issues with running 2 Campy chains with Missing Links.

I use KMC and SRAM chains, whatever is on sale at the time. I have never had a failure of the quick connects included with the chains - perhaps you just had some bad luck.

Quote: Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Side plate pulled away from 'post' part of link during upshift under load - I could not find link to send pic

Quote: Originally Posted by scottz123 .
I called KMC and they advised to use missing link vs. pressing pin 'in and out'
Hi scottz123, with 10spd and 11spd chains you could always try a Shimano Chain Connector Pin...

thanks KL
smile.png

"I called KMC and they advised to use missing link vs. pressing pin 'in and out'"

Good move to call KMC. Pressing & riveting has become a more critical procedure. I examine my work with a magnifying glass and then cross my fingers. As you found out though, the 'magic' links sometimes have a little voodoo of their own built in.

Better luck with the next chain I'll gladly lend you my magnifying glass to make certain you have the link installed in the correct direction with the sideplates fully engaged in the pin grooves!

I have been using the Superlink from Lick bike on my 10 speed previously and now on my 11 speed and I have been very pleased with them.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
"I called KMC and they advised to use missing link vs. pressing pin 'in and out'"

Good move to call KMC. Pressing & riveting has become a more critical procedure. I examine my work with a magnifying glass and then cross my fingers. As you found out though, the 'magic' links sometimes have a little voodoo of their own built in.

Better luck with the next chain I'll gladly lend you my magnifying glass to make certain you have the link installed in the correct direction with the sideplates fully engaged in the pin grooves!
I finally found the bad missing link. Once I pressed pin back in, I could not find where I pressed it, so I have been running it in 4 CX races so far w/ no problems w/ pin pressed in. I did the same thing on my mtb (same chain, not knowing better) and had no problems.

I am confident it was fully engaged after approx, 1k miles, with assorted workouts.