Does extreme heat and humidity mean a better workout?

TheNiceGuy

Jul 20, 2005
I currently live in an area where the seasons flucuate wildly. I find the same nice 50 km ride through the mountains in the fall, impossible in the summer when the heat/humidity is through the roof. So my question...
Does this mean I am getting a better workout during the summer than in the fall? Or is it just simply bad for my body and that is why I am exhausted...?

TheNiceGuy said:
I currently live in an area where the seasons flucuate wildly. I find the same nice 50 km ride through the mountains in the fall, impossible in the summer when the heat/humidity is through the roof. So my question...
Does this mean I am getting a better workout during the summer than in the fall? Or is it just simply bad for my body and that is why I am exhausted...?
Personally, I find summer heat easier to get a good workout, as the muscles warmup easier and the heart rate tends to be elevated without the same force neccessary. As long as I am getting my water and minerals replaced, the heat can work to your aerobic advantage in training. Racing is different though, in that it becomes much harder to put out big efforts for too long, due to water loss that can barely be kept up with.

Just because your HR is elevated doesn't mean you are getting a good workout. IN fact the heat is a real consideration. The USOC has specific guidelines for dealing with competing and training in the heat. The long and the short if it is the heat will prevent you from performing at optimum capacity.

Agree with YMCA that the heat can feel good, but it does require your body to divert a lot of blood flow to the skin for cooling, which means less going to the legs and harder work for the heart. I've found in extreme summer heat here my HR runs 5-10 bpm higher; lack of good hydration makes things even worse of course.

Knowing how heat interferes with performance, have never understood why the state championship TT, crit and RR are held here in August.

YMCA said:
....the heart rate tends to be elevated without the same force neccessary.
IOW, you are putting out less power at the same heart rate.
Keep in mind, that for any questions like that of the OP, heart rate is never a measure of or a determinant of performance.

Especially if you let your plasma volume going lower, you probably acheive lesser power for the same hr.

Has anyone tried glycerol?

tfstrum said:
You sweat more when it's really hot and humid, but I doubt the workout is better. A few things that I've read say that a cooler body functions better. Rides seem easier to me when I'm not thinking of being too hot...

http://daily.stanford.edu/tempo?page=content&id=15420&repository=0001_article

I agree.
Where I am, in July-Sept. ... it can get to 115 degrees Farinheight on the blacktop !!! :( :eek: :eek: :mad:

Higher temperatures could mean Hyperthermia(way elevated body temps), however through perfusion... body sweating, thats what helps keep the body temp. at a managable level during 90+ degree days.

I love riding when its 60-70F(muscles get good blood flow, thus are more efficent... and can work harder- for longer durations... which also = denser more efficent muscles in the long run !!! :)

but all other factors aside, training for aerobic fitness is predominantly about stressing the heart, right?

which means that whether 100% of the stress is comming from power generation at the legs, or whether its only 90%, the rest resulting from the bodies reaction to thermal stress, does it make any difference to the training effect? isn't (eg) 180bpm for 30 mins going to have the same effect on the heart, although not the legs, no matter what the power output?

phsycological factors (RPE) and the effect of dehyration on how long you can train for are i think separate but very relevant issues.

robkit said:
but all other factors aside, training for aerobic fitness is predominantly about stressing the heart, right?

There's an awful lot more to it than just that.

robkit said:
which means that whether 100% of the stress is comming from power generation at the legs, or whether its only 90%, the rest resulting from the bodies reaction to thermal stress, does it make any difference to the training effect? isn't (eg) 180bpm for 30 mins going to have the same effect on the heart, although not the legs, no matter what the power output?

You're assuming that just because heart rate is high that stroke volume and hence cardiac output are also high - this isn't necessarily true, and in fact stroke volume will tend to be lower when you're thermally stressed, with the increase in heart rate necessary to compensate.

As a general rule, anything that makes training artificially harder - e.g., heat, altitude, prolonged fasting - is counterproductive. The only reason that you would ever want to train in such a manner is if you are preparing for competition to held under such circumstances.

acoggan said:
As a general rule, anything that makes training artificially harder - e.g., heat, altitude, prolonged fasting - is counterproductive. The only reason that you would ever want to train in such a manner is if you are preparing for competition to held under such circumstances.

Funnily enough, I am preparing for competition where the temperature could be up to 40 degrees celsius in an environment where the temperature is 40 degrees fahrenheit. (I'm switching hemispheres in about 10 days and racing in about 2 weeks). Does anyone have any advice on trying to do heat acclimitization in a cold environment. It's my understanding that 2-4 weeks of acclimitization can make a big difference when racing in the heat, but I'm not sure what I should do. I was thinking of training in my super-warm jacket and double leg warmers on some rides, or perhaps doing trainer sets indoors so I warm up. Does anyone have suggestions for how to deal with this problem?

could you get hold of a portable heater and heat a room in your house to 40 degrees, then do turbo sessions in there?!

sounds crazy, but i guess thats what you're letting yourself in for!

robkit said:
could you get hold of a portable heater and heat a room in your house to 40 degrees, then do turbo sessions in there?!

sounds crazy, but i guess thats what you're letting yourself in for!

Yeah, I think the most likely temps are 27-38 degrees c, so I'm hoping it's on the lower end of that. I know how to expose myself to heat stress (trainer without fan does the trick), but I'm not sure what methodology to use - how often, what kind of session, etc.

Roadie_scum said:
Yeah, I think the most likely temps are 27-38 degrees c, so I'm hoping it's on the lower end of that. I know how to expose myself to heat stress (trainer without fan does the trick), but I'm not sure what methodology to use - how often, what kind of session, etc.
Been a while since I read about it but it takes a minimum of 1 hour a day of exposure to get acclimated, and it's best to stay as warm as possible in between sessions too. 2 to 3 weeks are generally enough if you get adequate exposure, though in my experience some things like electrolyte sparing take a bit longer to reach full adaptation.