Does Facebook support the advocating injuring or worse cyclists?

Andrew Priest

Guest
G'day

A thought. Does Facebook support the advocating of injuring or your
son or, daughter or brother or sister or mum or dad or partner? Well
it appears to do so, because it is allowing this group
<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6125389234&ref=share>which
advocates the attacking of cyclists, i.e., road rage, to remain on
Facebook. If you don't like what Facebook is allowing let them know at
<http://www.facebook.com/report.php?type=1&cid=6125389234&h=1b28568e0c>.

Regards
Andrew
-----
Churchlands, Western Australia
Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
http://aushiker.com http://aushiker.blogspot.com

Andrew Priest said:
G'day

A thought. Does Facebook support the advocating of injuring or your
son or, daughter or brother or sister or mum or dad or partner? Well
it appears to do so, because it is allowing this group
<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6125389234&ref=share>which
advocates the attacking of cyclists, i.e., road rage, to remain on
Facebook. If you don't like what Facebook is allowing let them know at
<http://www.facebook.com/report.php?type=1&cid=6125389234&h=1b28568e0c>.

Done. And passed the message onto friends who use Facebook.

On Feb 22, 12:10 am, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.354...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Andrew Priest Wrote:
>
> > G'day

> > A thought. Does Facebook support the advocating of injuring or your
> > son or, daughter or brother or sister or mum or dad or partner? Well
> > it appears to do so, because it is allowing this group
> > <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6125389234&ref=share>which
> > advocates the attacking of cyclists, i.e., road rage, to remain on
> > Facebook. If you don't like what Facebook is allowing let them know at
> > <http://www.facebook.com/report.php?type=1&cid=6125389234&h=1b28568e0c>.

> Done. And passed the message onto friends who use Facebook.
>
> --
> cfsmtb

Complaint registered...

Travis

Andrew Priest wrote:
> G'day
>
> A thought. Does Facebook support the advocating of injuring or your
> son or, daughter or brother or sister or mum or dad or partner? Well
> it appears to do so, because it is allowing this group
> <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6125389234&ref=share>which
> advocates the attacking of cyclists, i.e., road rage, to remain on
> Facebook. If you don't like what Facebook is allowing let them know at
> http://www.facebook.com/report.php?type=1&cid=6125389234&h=1b28568e0c.

Hmmm. It's asking me to login to both of those urls. I've never used
facebook before and don't really want to register (I get enough junkmail
now), so I can't see what it is you're complaining about. My thinking is
that therefore it is not a 'public' domain and as I'm very strongly against
cenorship of any kind, I'll decline to complain about something I can't see
to be offended about.

Theo

On Feb 22, 7:51 am, "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Andrew Priest wrote:
> > G'day

> > A thought. Does Facebook support the advocating of injuring or your
> > son or, daughter or brother or sister or mum or dad or partner? Well
> > it appears to do so, because it is allowing this group
> > <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6125389234&ref=share>which
> > advocates the attacking of cyclists, i.e., road rage, to remain on
> > Facebook. If you don't like what Facebook is allowing let them know at
> >http://www.facebook.com/report.php?type=1&cid=6125389234&h=1b28568e0c.

> Hmmm. It's asking me to login to both of those urls. I've never used
> facebook before and don't really want to register (I get enough junkmail
> now), so I can't see what it is you're complaining about.

Ditto. As a long time retro grouch and general curmudgeon I spurn
sites like facebook. Makes it hard to be fully outraged in cases like
this, but that's the price you pay.

On Feb 22, 1:10 am, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.354...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Andrew Priest Wrote:
>
> > G'day

> > A thought. Does Facebook support the advocating of injuring or your
> > son or, daughter or brother or sister or mum or dad or partner? Well
> > it appears to do so, because it is allowing this group
> > <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6125389234&ref=share>which
> > advocates the attacking of cyclists, i.e., road rage, to remain on
> > Facebook. If you don't like what Facebook is allowing let them know at
> > <http://www.facebook.com/report.php?type=1&cid=6125389234&h=1b28568e0c>.

> Done. And passed the message onto friends who use Facebook.
>
> --
> cfsmtb

Reported - Annelise and the group. Gee, she is sweet isn't she?

Ditto. As a long time retro grouch and general curmudgeon I spurn
sites like facebook. Makes it hard to be fully outraged in cases like
this, but that's the price you pay.

So if someone decides to come to your house everyday and lay a turd right in front of the door, that's ok with you? As a retro grouch why not apply you own personal logic and cease using the interwebs.

Hey donga, that Annaleise character is a right sweetie isn't she? Reckon she'd still be pissing herself laughing after watching the 'pictures of you' campaign or even after a night out with the local ambos?

http://www.picturesofyou.com.au/

From the Facebook page: - Group Name:

Every time a cyclist is on the road i contemplate running them down

Type: Organizations - General

One message left on the wall from the delightful "Annaleise"

at 4:19pm on January 22nd, 2008
i often swerve towards them just to scare them, though the other day i did it and the guy panicked and fell off, i kinda felt bad after i had stopped laughing, though not that bad

On Feb 22, 11:32 am, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.355...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> [email protected] Wrote:
>

> > Ditto. As a long time retro grouch and general curmudgeon I spurn
> > sites like facebook. Makes it hard to be fully outraged in cases like
> > this, but that's the price you pay.

> So if someone decides to come to your house everyday and lay a turd
> right in front of the door, that's ok with you?

My dogs would eat it. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.

> As a retro grouch why
> not apply you own personal logic and cease using the interwebs.

Usenet predates the web so it's ok. Besides, what else would I do at
work all day?!

There are anti-cycling dipshits everywhere, I can hardly fight them
all, much less change the opinion of one. However, odds are in my
favour that there'll be enough pro-cycling types at the appropriate
location (in this case Facebook) to shut them down if they breach the
rules of whatever web-playpen they're in. I'm certainly not going to
a) submit copious amounts of personal information or b) expose myself
to the flood of cookies even a fake account would generate just to
join a site to complain about something I wasn't exposed to until I
joined aforementioned site!

On Feb 22, 10:32 am, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.355...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

> Hey donga, that Annaleise character is a right sweetie isn't she?
> Reckon she'd still be pissing herself laughing after watching the
> 'pictures of you' campaign or even after a night out with the local
> ambos?
>
> http://www.picturesofyou.com.au/

I can't even watch it (but thanks for the pointer). She must be
covering up for something deep, poor soul.

Donga

My dogs would eat it. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.

Sure you should of typed that on a public group, as it inadvertently says a lot about you? ;) ;) ;)

Hey folks, go a have look at the *cough* previously mentioned facebook group. Considering the groups (gutless) creators have buggered off and wouldn't put their name to it, a new admin has rolled out a rather different approach. Pity though the name can't be edited. Although it now has been closed and reported to the authorities, not just Facebook.

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:56:23 -0800 (PST), Donga
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Feb 22, 1:10 am, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.354...@no-
>mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
>> Andrew Priest Wrote:
>>
>> > G'day

>> > A thought. Does Facebook support the advocating of injuring or your
>> > son or, daughter or brother or sister or mum or dad or partner? Well
>> > it appears to do so, because it is allowing this group
>> > <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6125389234&ref=share>which
>> > advocates the attacking of cyclists, i.e., road rage, to remain on
>> > Facebook. If you don't like what Facebook is allowing let them know at
>> > <http://www.facebook.com/report.php?type=1&cid=6125389234&h=1b28568e0c>.

Pleased to report the group has been closed "because it encourages
criminal behaviour."

Thanks to those who chose to report it.

Regards
Andrew
-----
Churchlands, Western Australia
Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
http://aushiker.com http://aushiker.blogspot.com

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 05:51:29 +0900, "Theo Bekkers"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Andrew Priest wrote:
> My thinking is
>that therefore it is not a 'public' domain and as I'm very strongly against
>cenorship of any kind, I'll decline to complain about something I can't see
>to be offended about.

That is your choice, but given the popularity of Facebook and the like
and in particular with Generation Y and the next generation who are or
will be the drivers on the road, reacting to this sort of campaign
(encouraging threatening cyclists with a car) is warranted in my view
hence it was shared here.

Cheers
Andrew
-----

On Feb 22, 12:18 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.355...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> [email protected] Wrote:
>

> > My dogs would eat it. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.

> Sure you should of typed that on a public group, as it inadvertently
> says a lot about you? ;) ;) ;)

I'm basing it on the fact that one of them (my girlfriends dog
technically) eats pretty much any **** it can get it's filthy little
paws on. It's not that I **** in the yard and wait to see what
happens, rather I figure if you'll eat dogshit, you'll eat
anything ;-) On the plus side, it does mean there's probably only 1/2
the dogshit in the yard that there'd be otherwise. She's a pretty
good dog apart from that, I just make sure to never, ever, under any
circumstances let her lick me (goes for any dog really).

> Hey folks, go a have look at the *cough* previously mentioned facebook
> group. Considering the groups (gutless) creators have buggered off and
> wouldn't put their name to it, a new admin has rolled out a rather
> different approach. Pity though the name can't be edited. Although it
> now has been closed and reported to the authorities, not just Facebook.

What was the name of the group? Perhaps it could be deleted all
together.

cfsmtb wrote:
> [email protected] Wrote:
>>
>> Ditto. As a long time retro grouch and general curmudgeon I spurn
>> sites like facebook. Makes it hard to be fully outraged in cases
>> like this, but that's the price you pay.

> So if someone decides to come to your house everyday and lay a turd
> right in front of the door, that's ok with you? As a retro grouch why
> not apply you own personal logic and cease using the interwebs.
>
> Hey donga, that Annaleise character is a right sweetie isn't she?
> Reckon she'd still be pissing herself laughing after watching the
> 'pictures of you' campaign or even after a night out with the local
> ambos?
>
> http://www.picturesofyou.com.au/
>
> From the Facebook page: - Group Name:
>
> Every time a cyclist is on the road i contemplate running them down
>
> Type: Organizations - General

> road, especially along the coast
>
> One message left on the wall from the delightful "Annaleise"
>
> at 4:19pm on January 22nd, 2008
> i often swerve towards them just to scare them, though the other day i
> did it and the guy panicked and fell off, i kinda felt bad after i had
> stopped laughing, though not that bad

Sounds like the puerile imaginations of a 13 year old trying to appear tough
in front of his/her peers.

A bit like people on here sometimes saying the have/or will kick a car or
break the mirrors off.

Theo

Did anyone check out the group Admins? One of them is a fan of "cycling"
according to their Facebook page. Work that one out??

Bean Long said:
Did anyone check out the group Admins? One of them is a fan of "cycling" according to their Facebook page. Work that one out??

Yes, a one of the new admins I can easily work that one out. Read the groups description, the original creators (whoever they were?) didn't put themselves forward either as admins or owners, so a couple of us decided to be the new admins. Make sense now?

" ... Group closed because we need to think about road use that doesn't involve grievous bodily harm. As this group's name incited violence towards legal road users and the original group's creators were lacking a spine to actually have the guts to name themselves, we have closed this group.

Unfortunately Facebook rules are such that once a group is created its name cannot be changed or edited ..."

On Feb 22, 5:51 am, "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Andrew Priest wrote:
> > G'day

> > A thought. Does Facebook support the advocating of injuring or your
> > son or, daughter or brother or sister or mum or dad or partner? Well
> > it appears to do so, because it is allowing this group
> > <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6125389234&ref=share>which
> > advocates the attacking of cyclists, i.e., road rage, to remain on
> > Facebook. If you don't like what Facebook is allowing let them know at
> >http://www.facebook.com/report.php?type=1&cid=6125389234&h=1b28568e0c.

> Hmmm. It's asking me to login to both of those urls. I've never used
> facebook before and don't really want to register (I get enough junkmail
> now), so I can't see what it is you're complaining about. My thinking is
> that therefore it is not a 'public' domain and as I'm very strongly against
> cenorship of any kind, I'll decline to complain about something I can't see
> to be offended about.
>
> Theo

Everything at Facebook requires you to log in. I signed up ages ago,
I haven't done anything at all with it but my page is bustling with
activity anyway because of all my passing aquaintences leaving
Facebook messages, signing the guestbook etc etc. I can see why
Facebook is a good resource for identity theives, even without me
doing anything a surprisingly detailed database of my relationships
has assembled itself...

But the page was pretty horrendous stuff. It didn't appear to be a
joke, which is to say that there wasn't much laughing going on. One
comment, which is typical, was from a young lady that said she
habitually swerves toward cyclists just to give them a scare. The
other day she did that and the cyclist fell off his bike and hurt
himself. She felt a little bit bad over this, but still found it
uproarously funny and couldn't stop laughing as she drove away leaving
some random cyclist with unknown injuries alone at the side of the
road.

It goes beyond the standard aus.cars "get off the fkn road ya poofta"
type stuff into a much darker sadistic sociopathy. I don't see
anything good coming out of creating a forum where scumbags like that
can get together and entertain each other with stories of the latest
cyclist they scared and/or hurt.

At the bottom of the page is a "report this group" link, and when you
click on it you select your reason for reporting the group. One of
the reasons was "attacking a specific person or group" and another was
"violence". Both would qualify, on the face of it this group is
against Facebook's terms of service and should be banned on those
grounds alone, for the same reason that Facebook and YouTube and
similar sites take down any other hate speech material, especially the
kind where violent acts are encouraged.

Travis

On Feb 22, 12:10 pm, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:
> Did anyone check out the group Admins? One of them is a fan of "cycling"
> according to their Facebook page. Work that one out??

I don't think she was the one that created the original obnoxious
group. She only joined it recently and has taken over as the new
admin, her first action seems to have been to close the group down. :)

Travis