Does fat matter?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Gregg Davis, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. Gregg Davis

    Gregg Davis Guest

    If I'm on a 1,700 calorie diet, for the purpose of losing
    weight, does the composition of those calories matter? If I
    burn 2000 calories a day, why does it matter if my calorie
    intake is derived from fatty foods or non fatty foods, won't
    I still lose weight because I'm burning my calories than I'm
    taking in?

    Tags:

  2. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    "Gregg Davis " <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > If I'm on a 1,700 calorie diet, for the purpose of losing
    > weight, does the composition of those calories matter? If
    > I burn 2000 calories a day, why does it matter if my
    > calorie intake is derived from fatty foods or non fatty
    > foods, won't I still lose weight because I'm burning my
    > calories than I'm taking in?

    Dietary fat signals the body that you are full when you eat.
    It also slows down the absorption of refined carbs,
    minimizing the insulin spike that signals your body to store
    fat and/or not use up fat. Without fat you will digest the
    carbs much faster and be hungry within a shorter period of
    time (as in when you eat chinese food) and your body will be
    flush with insulin signalling your body to store every
    available bit of food into body fat.

    With regards to calories, don't even bother. Restricting
    fats and calories to lose weight fails in 98% of cases. The
    calorie values as you see them on the packaging or from USDA
    tables are very inaccurate and it hasn't even been proven
    that the body will use up the stated calories the same way
    in every circumstance every time. It simply doesn't work in
    the real world.

    TC

  3. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    [email protected] (tcomeau) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Gregg Davis " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > If I'm on a 1,700 calorie diet, for the purpose of
    > > losing weight, does the composition of those calories
    > > matter? If I burn 2000 calories a day, why does it
    > > matter if my calorie intake is derived from fatty foods
    > > or non fatty foods, won't I still lose weight because
    > > I'm burning my calories than I'm taking in?
    >
    > Dietary fat signals the body that you are full when you
    > eat. It also slows down the absorption of refined carbs,
    > minimizing the insulin spike that signals your body to
    > store fat and/or not use up fat. Without fat you will
    > digest the carbs much faster and be hungry within a
    > shorter period of time (as in when you eat chinese food)
    > and your body will be flush with insulin signalling your
    > body to store every available bit of food into body fat.
    >
    > With regards to calories, don't even bother. Restricting
    > fats and calories to lose weight fails in 98% of cases.
    > The calorie values as you see them on the packaging or
    > from USDA tables are very inaccurate and it hasn't even
    > been proven that the body will use up the stated calories
    > the same way in every circumstance every time. It simply
    > doesn't work in the real world.
    >
    > TC

    The composition of foods is more important than the overall
    calorie estimation/count/assumption.

    TC