does floyd ride sans PT for TT?

Krazyderek

Mar 2, 2006
Just occured to me when i was watching floyd today, zipp don't make a PT disc wheel, so does he not use the PT computer, i don't think i saw it on his handlebars. Franky was saying he TT's around 400-420w (holy ****), so does he just practice the course with the PT wheel and then just use the same gears and cadence during the race, and that along with the time check's is how he pace's himself? Or do you think he just does it on feel?

I think he does it on feel. When you train with power for a while, you get a very good idea of what certain wattages feel like, but really when you train a lot, you get a very good idea of how hard you can go for how long. For confirmation and motivation, he has his DS in the car giving him splits.

I'd be very surprised if he pre-rides the course w/ a PM, then attempts to approximate power via cadence and gearing.

FWIW, I also doubt that Landis was a slave to his PM on his epic stage win. Maybe checked it every now and then to keep his pace in check, but I really don't think he was looking at it on the Joux-Plane and saying, 'hey, I'm at 390, I need to dial it down to 370 b/c that's all I can do on a climb like this.'
;)