Does full suspension help to keep parts in good condition

Dr_hush1417

Sep 4, 2009
The title pretty much explains my question... I'm wondering if a full-sus frame would keep components such as the rear derailleur in better shape, due to less vibration. I'm looking at getting a cheap full-sus for riding around rough dirt roads in comfort. not racing.

also, has anyone had experience with these cheaper full-sus frames, it's a single-pivot spring. no hydraulics. No known brand. Again it's just for riding around town on rougher roads.

There is "cheap" and then there is inexpensive ...

If by "cheap" you mean a sub-$200(US) MTB then you should probably reconsider your purchase.

What is your budget AND how tall are you?

In a non-intuitive way, full suspension probably adds more "wear" to a component like the rear der. Depending on suspension design, chainstay travel plus normal shifting and drive train slack absorption might increase use of the der retentioning springs.

I suspect some of your logic is to reduce the amount of vibration and shock that components endure? Not sure if there is any quantifiable data to support the theory, but for normal dirt roads and around town ridding the amount of shock is not that great. Second, shock and vibration isolation is primarily limited to suspended components - above suspension points. Wheels and attached parts are "unsprung", although the oscillation of vibration can be minimized through dampening, especially at higher speeds.

Typical bike components will take a fair amount of abuse and keep on ticking for a long time. High-precision, light-weight racing components... probably not so much, but still quite durable for anything that "around town" would deliver.

Maybe you're searching to justify a full suspension bike to your wife or significant other?? If so ... nice try. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I'd rather go with a steel, completely suspension-less early 90s mountain bike than a brand new full suspension department store bike any day. The suspension on them is primarily for show, and not much different from riding around a pogo stick on wheels. You'll spend more of your energy compressing the springs than you will moving the bike forward (yes, that's an exaggeration, but less so than you might think).

As for comfort on the rough roads, I don't know- I've never tried riding a department store full sus. bike on rough roads. Maybe it would help on the downhills, or maybe the pogo stick springs would bounce you around making it a rougher ride and costing you a lot in traction. Probably depends on how much you weigh and how tight the springs are. But no matter what, you'll have to drag that boat anchor up the hills while throwing a good portion of your energy into compressing those springs (I assume there's no lock-out on them).

As stated above, the suspension isn't going to help preserve your components. The best way to do that is to keep them clean, lubed, adjusted and mount, dismount and store your bike properly- by that I mean don't do things like turn your handle bars all the way around and don't toss or lay it down on the drive side. That may seem obvious, but the vast majority of problems I see with components are due to similar abuses. Even cheap (both inexpensive and low quality varieties) components will stand up to tons of abuse performing in their proper function if they're properly maintained.

Since you're looking for comfort on rough roads, I would recommend 1. Front suspension- get as good as you can afford, but even cheap sus. forks will save your hands and arms from a lot of fatigue due to chatter- it's a compromise- they're heavy and bounce around, but less so than cheap full suspension.
2. Suspension seat or seatpost. A saddle with springs under it is a bit heavy (not nearly as heavy as a cheap full sus. frame, though), and it will suspend just you and maybe bounce you around some instead of you and the whole bike. They also look pansy- not nearly as cool as a full sus. frame- they will do the job, though. And I am talking about saddles with springs- please don't think that a seat with 3 inches of neoprene is going to do any favors for anybody ;)

Originally Posted by roadhouse .

Full suspension means more parts that can fail.

True and usually lower quality components for the same $$. MTB's with front suspension are great value at the moment.

There is no evidence to support the idea that suspension will reduce wear on other components. If anything there will be MORE net wear to the bike as there are more moving parts on a full suspension bike. Typically this is bushing wear, but rear shocks tend to go through seals pretty quickly too.

So this is not a good reason to go full suspension.

Benefit is derived from full suspension if it either makes for faster riding on particular terrain or if it makes some terrain more accessible.

Of course, as stated above, there is full suspension and there is full suspension (both in terms of quality and in terms of the required travel and strength).

Maybe you're searching to justify a full suspension bike to your wife or significant other?? If so ... nice try. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Haha, you're sharp. Actually my brother... and I'm more trying to ease my conscience, since he wanted this cheap (shop bike less than 300$) full-sus frame... I guess I'll just have to keep it well maintained for him. He really liked the idea of the full-sus... kinda the adventuring type, but by no means into racing.

Thanks for the info guys (and gals?) It's nice to know anyway.