Does it count?

HenryLaRoy

Aug 16, 2005
OK, here's a poll just for the fun of it...

Hello, there is a "mountain" by Harrisburg, PA (my hometown) called Blue Mountain. Climbing it must be some kind of right of passage, because I am occassionally asked if I have made it over (and from what direction, because it's much harder going West over it).

Here's a topomap of the mountain http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4469670&e=345484&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25 And yes, it is a Pennsylvania mountain, which means hill anywhere else! :p It is a decent climb though. 600 feet up in less than a mile. I think that works out to 11% overall.

Today I got over for the first time, but I had to stop about 200 yds from the top to catch my breath.

So the question is, can I say "yes" the next time someone asks or do I have to qualify it?:)

BTW - the real answer is... I'll do it the right way soon enough! :cool:

HenryLaRoy said:
OK, here's a poll just for the fun of it...

Hello, there is a "mountain" by Harrisburg, PA (my hometown) called Blue Mountain. Climbing it must be some kind of right of passage, because I am occassionally asked if I have made it over (and from what direction, because it's much harder going West over it).

Here's a topomap of the mountain http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4469670&e=345484&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25 And yes, it is a Pennsylvania mountain, which means hill anywhere else! :p It is a decent climb though. 600 feet up in less than a mile. I think that works out to 11% overall.

Today I got over for the first time, but I had to stop about 200 yds from the top to catch my breath.

So the question is, can I say "yes" the next time someone asks or do I have to qualify it?:)

BTW - the real answer is... I'll do it the right way soon enough! :cool:
I think it counts as long as you didn't walk any of the 200 yds. I have seen riders tack stand or go side to side (who me?) to catch their breath. Hills are tough, you'll get it next time or the time after that. Good luck !

lw

I believe you have to make it without stopping or putting a foot down.

My first 'mountain' was 2,000 feet of climbing in 1.5 miles. It took me two tries, but in my defense, the sign my defense, the sign at the bottom said 1.2 miles. When my cyclocomputer said 1.2 and I wasn't at the top, I put a foot down.
Now I do several repeats.
Two years ago, I bought my girlfriend a base level TREK 1000. Her first road bike. We went straight from the LBS to the mountain. She made it to the top on her first attempt.

I don't think the TDF specifies that the King of the Mountain can't put his foot down, or even has to ride the whole way so why should you hold yourself to a higher standard?

As long as you and the bike both make it to the top, you did it! Riding, pushing, crawling... whatever it takes...

It doesn't. You might as well have stopped for a sandwich and a massage. Just kidding, when you do it without stopping you will know how big the difference is. Good luck.

tyler1212 said:
It doesn't. You might as well have stopped for a sandwich and a massage. Just kidding, when you do it without stopping you will know how big the difference is. Good luck.
Yup. Keep at it and you'll make it. You're not riding in the Tour de France, but you're trying to do something personal. Like tyler said, when you make it...you'll know the difference. Its worth it.