does it really do that?

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Hassaan, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Hassaan

Hassaan New Member

I have read somewhere that too much cycling is harmful for the male testis. Does anybody know what is the truth behind it?

Tags:

2. ohiojeff

ohiojeff New Member

the only thing i have ever read for sure is that sitting on the nerves that work your penis will lead to impotence if done longterm. i would say if you are going numb every time you ride, then that would certainly be a concern. i have heard the same rumor, but have never run across an actual study linking cycling to problems. i always try to watch rumor verses fact, and i would have to see an actual study before i would get too worried. i know some old timers who have ridden longer than i've been alive, and they dont have any problems that they'll admit to anyway.

3. Feanor

Feanor New Member

As evidence you need to look at Hinault, Merckx, Anquetil, LeMond, Indurain etc and see if they have large families since each one of them separately has probably ridden more than everyone on this board put together! :) Lance is a flyer in this case because of his cancer... Was it ever suggested that riding caused his cancer? or is there no link in that situation?

Feanor

4. mfallon

mfallon New Member

I can see it now. Right across the top tube of every bike. "Warning: The surgeon general has determined that bicycle riding is dangerous to your health". I'd love to see the studies with lab rats riding little bicycles.

Matt

5. Pacesetter

Pacesetter New Member

I dont think (or should i say haven't read) that riding is a testi harming exercise, rather the fact that your wearing tight pants which keeps 'everything' very close to the body is the problem.

If sperm gets too hot or cold they will die, (this is why they retract/shink in colder conditions...) and as they are being kept soo close to the body, their temp. increases which can lead to infertility. This is why some people perfer to wear boxers to y-fronts as studys have proven that men who wear boxers have a higher number of 'swimmers'!!!

6. Hassaan

Hassaan New Member

???