Does lower "rolling resistance" make a big difference?

in message <[email protected]>, rick H
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Bryan wrote:
>>> As for tyre size, you can put on any size tyre you like, within
>>> reason
>>> (don't put 23mm tyres on an myb rim). Most slicks come in 1.5"
>>> versions whch should be perfect for what you want to do.

>> Indeed, my Marathons are 1.5". The lane we stay on is about
>> equivalent to a landrover farm track on a hill, and they're never a
>> problem on it.

> Thanks, gents. I've had a look at the Schwalbe Marathons available on
> Wiggle. I looked at the Plus and Cross flavours, each of which has an
> MTB and a Hybrid sub-flavour.
>
> The MTB tyres are sized in inches (26x1.75), but the Hybrids are metric
> (700 x 38mm). Well, 38mm is 1.5", but 700mm is NOT 26". I take it,
> therefore, that the 700mm Hybrids are not suitable for a 26" MTB wheel?
>
> Oh bugger. Having said that, I've just seen the "Marathon Slick Tyre -
> Road", and it says "In Germany the 26" tyre blah blah" but it's listed
> as 700mm (which is 27.56 inches). What gives!?

OK: the tyres recommended in this thread which will actually fit your
bike are:

Schwalbe Marathon Slick
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360007840

Schwalbe City Jet (this price for two tyres and tubes)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5300003751

Nokian AWS, my personal recommendation, slightly faster in the 1.3 than
the 2.0 width:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360012945

; gif ye hes forget our auld plane Scottis quhilk your mother lerit you,
; in tymes cuming I sall wryte to you my mind in Latin, for I am nocht
; acquyntit with your Southeron
;; Letter frae Ninian Winyet tae John Knox datit 27t October 1563

Am Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:47:27 GMT schrieb rick H:

> Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
>> rick H wrote:
>>> I'm mainly riding on roads, cycle paths (liberally sprinkled with broken
>>> glass) and gravel-tracks-with-muddy-puddles.

>> My tourer and folder do that sort of duty, and I use Schwalbe Marathons,
>> which seem to do the job okay.

> Those Marathons look jolly nice, and I like the idea of puncture
> protection.

The Schwalbe Marathons are great in terms of puncture protection. I've been
using mine for three years now - no puncture so far. Even though I
regularly come across smashed bottles on some streets here in Liverpool.
Yet, I've also heard from people that Conti tyres give a far better grip
than the Schwalbe Marathons in wet weather conditions, because of a
superior rubber mixture. So the Conti Sport Contact might be an alternative
to consider.

Andreas

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com>typed

> "rick H" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> >
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Mr Wobbly Handlebars again.
> >
> > My MTB (9 years old) has got Tioga Psycho Edge 26x1.95" tyres on that
> > came with the bike. I'd like to know whether replacing them with
> > something a bit "slicker" will speed things up, or is the difference
> > in moving from bobbly to slick only a subtle one?
> >
> > I'm mainly riding on roads, cycle paths (liberally sprinkled with broken
> > glass) and gravel-tracks-with-muddy-puddles.

> Oh yes. A great difference indeed. slicker tyres plus correct pressure. The
> difference is noticeable.

^
^
Methinks that here you omitted the word 'very'...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:

> Yet, I've also heard from people that Conti tyres give a far better grip
> than the Schwalbe Marathons in wet weather conditions, because of a
> superior rubber mixture. So the Conti Sport Contact might be an alternative
> to consider.

A pal who ran on conti TTs for some years did feel they were a bit more
skittery in the wet than strictly necessary. I've never felt anything
other than rock-solid on Marathons. It's all at the anecdotal level
here, I don't think it'll mean much to the Real World (TM).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

In article <[email protected]>
rick H <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>
> Dumb question - am I going to slide around all over the shop if I put on
> something like the Marathons, or are they ok on soggy roads/paths/gravel?

Slicks /really/ don't like wet grass on any sort of incline. Other than
that, major mud and serious off-road, you'll be fine. They'll ping
around a bit on gravel, but not enough to cause too much worry.

"rick H" <[email protected]> wrote

> My MTB (9 years old) has got Tioga Psycho Edge 26x1.95" tyres on that
> came with the bike. I'd like to know whether replacing them with
> something a bit "slicker" will speed things up, or is the difference
> in moving from bobbly to slick only a subtle one?
>
> I'm mainly riding on roads, cycle paths (liberally sprinkled with broken
> glass) and gravel-tracks-with-muddy-puddles.

Nobody here has yet mentioned Panaracer Paselas so let me put a good word
in for them. These are available as 1.25" (actually only 30mm). Good on
road, they'll do for the above as long as the muddy puddles have a solid
base.

But the rubber isn't applied as thickly as some tyres so they are light
weight & easy rolling and won't make family heirlooms.

> I've got some Schwalbe City Jets when using my MTB on road, and have
> had no problem with them

Just in the door. Edinburgh Bicycles sale leaflet. Starts 2nd Sept. has
schwalbe City jets 26x1.5s for £5.95 each.
Iin

In article <1156752416.562989.133680
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, [email protected] says...

> > I've got some Schwalbe City Jets when using my MTB on road, and have
> > had no problem with them

> Just in the door. Edinburgh Bicycles sale leaflet. Starts 2nd Sept. has
> schwalbe City jets 26x1.5s for £5.95 each.
> Iin

Just in my door too. The Revolution Tune up Toolkit looks good
at 24.95.
--
Cheers
the.Mark