Does Martha Deserve it?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Larry, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Well she lied, cheated, stole and got caught.. so I guess
    she deserves to go to JAIL. I think they should fine the
    #%&$ out of her and put her back to work to pay some big
    taxes. But on the other hand those with plenty of money are
    not very afraid of paying a fine.. big deal.. but some time
    in stripes scares nearly everybody.

    Laurence

    Tags:

  2. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    larry wrote:
    > Well she lied, cheated, stole and got caught.. so I guess
    > she deserves to go to JAIL. .. but some time in stripes
    > scares nearly everybody.
    >

    > Laurence

    I don't think they wear stripes anymore. The big question
    is, does she look good in ORANGE? ;-)

  3. <Rj>

    <Rj> Guest

    re recent news articles; Ex-chairman Ovitz of Disney who got
    a $120mil "severance package" after less than a year on the
    job..... It's legal, but it's theft !

    People who scam Federal income tax for billions (
    collectively ) Feds then settle for "a dime on the dollar".
    But if you or I were short by five bucks, they'd "take your
    house" to make an example of you.

    I guess we all have our sore spot. Martha acted on a tip
    from her broker. ( who doesn't ? ) She acted on it, and
    got caught

    Like the scene in The Wizard of Oz..... "Pay no attention to
    that man behind the drape "......

    <rj>

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 13:42:35 GMT, "larry"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well she lied, cheated, stole and got caught.. so I guess
    >she deserves to go to JAIL. I think they should fine the
    >#%&$ out of her and put her back to work to pay some big
    >taxes. But on the other hand those with plenty of money are
    >not very afraid of paying a fine.. big deal.. but some time
    >in stripes scares nearly everybody.
    >

    >Laurence

    <rj

  4. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    larry wrote:

    > Well she lied, cheated, stole and got caught.. so I guess
    > she deserves to go to JAIL. I think they should fine the
    > #%&$ out of her and put her back to work to pay some big
    > taxes. But on the other hand those with plenty of money
    > are not very afraid of paying a fine.. big deal.. but some
    > time in stripes scares nearly everybody.

    I like the system they have in Norway <?> where fines, even
    for traffic violations, are based on income. A $100 speeding
    ticket for one of the working poor is a hefty penalty, but
    it means nothing to a millionaire.

  5. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    larry wrote:
    > But on the other hand those with plenty of money are not
    > very afraid of paying a fine.

    Of course not, because to her, a fine of a few thousand
    dollars is pocket change. That same fine would ruin my
    finances for years. Fines should be proportionate to the
    person's net worth. Martha probably has a few hundred
    million dollars worth of assets, so fine her half. Even to a
    multi-millionare, half of her money is a huge blow.

    At the same time, the same argument could be made about
    Microsoft. I think the government wanted to fine them a few
    million, when they have about $45 billion in the bank. They
    have more money in the bank than most countries' GDP. Fine
    them about $44 billion, and use it to repay part of the
    national debt. Make them useful, same with Martha :)

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    [email protected]

  6. larry wrote:

    > Well she lied, cheated, stole and got caught.. so I guess
    > she deserves to go to JAIL.

    Why jail? Her's was a non-violent crime. Since it was
    financial in nature, it would seem appropriate that the
    punishment should be financial as well.

    I think they should fine the #%&$ out of her and put her
    > back to work to pay some big taxes. But on the other hand
    > those with plenty of money are not very afraid of paying a
    > fine.. big deal..

    Make the fine commensurate with both the amount of the
    financial crime *plus* a penalty based on income.

    > but some time in stripes scares nearly everybody.

    Prison isn't a deterrant. It never has been. People who
    commit crimes do so with the belief that they're never
    get *caught*.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn
    Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce> "What do you care

  7. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 08:01:26 -0600, "jmcquown"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I don't think they wear stripes anymore. The big question
    >is, does she look good in ORANGE? ;-)

    Federal prisoners get to wear normal clothes most of the
    time.

    -sw

  8. Pan Ohco

    Pan Ohco Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 13:48:08 -0600, Steve Wertz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 08:01:26 -0600, "jmcquown"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I don't think they wear stripes anymore. The big question
    >>is, does she look good in ORANGE? ;-)
    >
    >Federal prisoners get to wear normal clothes most of
    >the time.
    >
    >-sw

    Every Federal prisoner, that I have seen, wore the orange
    jump suit. Of course there may be some that wear normal
    cloths, possibly at the "club fed" prisons. Pan Ohco

  9. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On 07 Mar 2004 20:24:28 GMT, [email protected] (SportKite1)
    wrote:

    > >On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 08:01:26 -0600, "jmcquown"
    > ><[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I don't think they wear stripes anymore. The big
    > >>question is, does she look good in ORANGE? ;-)
    >
    > Prisoners assigned to work details wear black and white
    > stripes in Florida.

    Are they chained at the ankle too?

  10. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    > "jmcquown" [email protected] Newsgroups:
    > rec.food.cooking References:
    > <[email protected]> Lines: 12 X-
    >7 Mar 2004 08:01:26 -0600
    >

    >larry wrote:
    >> Well she lied, cheated, stole and got caught.. so I guess
    >> she deserves to go to JAIL. .. but some time in stripes
    >> scares nearly everybody.
    >>

    >> Laurence
    >
    >I don't think they wear stripes anymore. The big question
    >is, does she look good in ORANGE? ;-)

    I think Mothra won't mind mauve and puce stripes, so long
    as they're vertical... far more slimming than
    international pumpkin.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  11. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "larry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Well she lied, cheated, stole and got caught.. so I guess
    > she deserves to go to JAIL. I think they should fine the
    > #%&$ out of her and put her back to work to pay some big
    > taxes. But on the other hand those with plenty of money
    > are not very afraid of paying a fine.. big deal.. but some
    > time in stripes scares nearly everybody.
    >

    > Laurence

    There are a couple problems as I see it. First, people with
    money usually go to prisons where they get carpet in their
    "cells" and roam freely, and watch cable, etc. I don't think
    it is going to benefit anyone if she goes to jail, and since
    she maintains she is innocent, I doubt it will teach her
    anything either. The jails are already overcrowded and
    costing taxpayers ridiculous amounts, when so many of the
    people there could be contributing to society instead of
    living off it. The unfortunate fact is that jail time does
    *not* scare everybody. If it were such a great deterrent,
    then the numbers would be drastically different than they
    are. People like Martha, people who use drugs (note, I said
    use, not deal), people who commit "victimless"
    crimes...there needs to be some other stop gap in place to
    deal with these people. Jail is not a solution. She needs to
    be fined, to the extent of the money she should have lost in
    the deal at a minimum. She should also be doing plenty of
    community service works....hey I know! She can "Martha-ize"
    peoples houses, organizing them, filling the pantry with
    goodies, and lets not forget creating a beautiful garden
    space in which to relax with a good cup of Earl Grey....

    kimberly

  12. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "John Gaughan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > larry wrote:
    > > But on the other hand those with plenty of money are not
    > > very afraid of paying a fine.
    >
    > Of course not, because to her, a fine of a few thousand
    > dollars is pocket change. That same fine would ruin my
    > finances for years. Fines should be proportionate to the
    > person's net worth. Martha probably has a few hundred
    > million dollars worth of assets, so fine her half. Even to
    > a multi-millionare, half of her money is a huge blow.

    Except that the fines are already more than a few thousand
    bucks...not to mention she lost 1/4 of her worth the day she
    was convicted. She was worth around 4.5 million in the
    morning, down to just over 3 in the afternoon.

    kimberly

  13. Vilco

    Vilco Guest

    Dave Smith wrote:

    > I like the system they have in Norway <?> where fines,
    > even for traffic violations, are based on income. A $100
    > speeding ticket for one of the working poor is a hefty
    > penalty, but it means nothing to a millionaire.

    Also in Finland. Methinks you've heard about that 170000
    euros fine for speeding in the city, for a young finnish
    millionaire.

    Methinks it's right, too.

    Vilco

    BTW - 170000 euros = 190000 dollars. Nice?

  14. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

    > Why jail? Her's was a non-violent crime. Since it was
    > financial in nature, it would seem appropriate that the
    > punishment should be financial as well.

    Since when has our judicial system ever been based on an
    "Eye for an Eye"?

    > Prison isn't a deterrant...

    Right. It is a punishment.

    ~john

  15. Vilco wrote:

    > Dave Smith wrote:
    >

    >>I like the system they have in Norway <?> where fines,
    >>even for traffic violations, are based on income. A $100
    >>speeding ticket for one of the working poor is a hefty
    >>penalty, but it means nothing to a millionaire.
    >

    > Also in Finland. Methinks you've heard about that 170000
    > euros fine for speeding in the city, for a young finnish
    > millionaire.
    >
    > Methinks it's right, too.
    >
    > Vilco
    >
    > BTW - 170000 euros = 190000 dollars. Nice?

    Exactly; adjust the fine to an index of pain which is common
    to all. How many times have I left my car on the sidewalk
    after 2 AM, to get a 5 buck fine. Now in NYC, that would
    amount to a 75$ fine, and possible towing of the vehicle
    with even more money; ouch! that hurts.

    Rich

    ----------

    Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

  16. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:50:40 -0600, Pan Ohco <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 13:48:08 -0600, Steve Wertz
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 08:01:26 -0600, "jmcquown"
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I don't think they wear stripes anymore. The big question
    >>>is, does she look good in ORANGE? ;-)
    >>
    >>Federal prisoners get to wear normal clothes most of
    >>the time.
    >>
    >>-sw
    >
    >Every Federal prisoner, that I have seen, wore the orange
    >jump suit. Of course there may be some that wear normal
    >cloths, possibly at the "club fed" prisons.

    They only wear orange jump suits when they travel someplace
    (like court or being transferred to another prison). Have
    you ever actually been *in* a Federal prison, or just seen
    it on TV and the movies?

    -sw

  17. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
    > Prison isn't a deterrant. It never has been. People who
    > commit crimes do so with the belief that they're never get
    > *caught*.

    I would think that prison would make the person come out
    worse having to associate with all the other criminals in
    there. You get a nice mix of different types of
    crookedness to rub off on you. I won't say what I think
    the solution is :)

    regards, Ben

    --
    "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

    Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite
    (http://www.onesuite.com).
    2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No
    monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643
    for 20 free minutes.

  18. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Steve Wertz wrote:
    > They only wear orange jump suits when they travel
    > someplace (like court or being transferred to another
    > prison). Have you ever actually been *in* a Federal
    > prison, or just seen it on TV and the movies?

    I have been *to* prison, not *in* ;-) and I can honestly
    say that from what I saw, and what the person serving time
    said, is that they wear khaki pants and a button shirt, but
    the colors are bland light brown. This was a federal
    prison, not state, and no transportation to or from court
    going on that I saw.

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    [email protected]

  19. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 20:20:05 -0600, John Gaughan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve Wertz wrote:
    >> They only wear orange jump suits when they travel
    >> someplace (like court or being transferred to another
    >> prison). Have you ever actually been *in* a Federal
    >> prison, or just seen it on TV and the movies?

    >I have been *to* prison, not *in* ;-)

    I think *in* sounds better than *to*. Depends on how you use
    it in a sentence, I guess.

    >and I can honestly say that from what I saw, and what the
    >person serving time said, is that they wear khaki pants and
    >a button shirt, but the colors are bland light brown.

    >This was a federal prison, not state, and no transportation
    >to or from court going on that I saw.

    Maybe they do have different standards for different
    prisons. Even some state prisons allow inmates to wear
    regular clothes (especially female inmates). There are some
    limitations though - like nothing that resembles a guards
    uniform, of course.

    -sw

  20. Notbob

    Notbob Guest

    On 2004-03-07, larry <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Well she lied, cheated, stole and got caught.. so I guess
    > she deserves to go to JAIL.

    The hot question is, is Martha gonna toss a salad!! (OBfood)

    No, seriously, does she deserve to go to jail? Yes. WILL she
    go to jail? Doubtful. Has justice been served? Not till Ken
    Lay is a bitch!

    nb