Does rhr coorelate to fitness?

cdaleguy

Nov 13, 2004
I've read a bunch on rhr, mhr (on this board), but does rhr always coorelate to fitness level? The lowest I've seen my rhr is 58 and I am not very fit. Does your rhr lower, the more fit you become?

cdaleguy said:
I've read a bunch on rhr, mhr (on this board), but does rhr always coorelate to fitness level? The lowest I've seen my rhr is 58 and I am not very fit. Does your rhr lower, the more fit you become?
RHR is not an indicator of athletic performance. However, it can indicate that you are fitter. A lower RHR is the result of a higher stroke volume meaning your heart is more efficient. Scott, keep in mind that some of the posters here have been doing some serious cycling and aerobic exercise for years on end so when you read that Joe Blow has a RHR of 38 or 43 or some schnitz like that don't let it phyche you out. Fitness is cumulative over a period of years.

Mine is somewhere around 56 - 58 BPM. That in and of itself doesn't mean too much. It's much better than a couple of years ago when I was a sedentary office worker/couch potato and it was 82 - 85 BPM and my systolic blood pressure measurement was in the high 130's. :eek: A few more years of that and I would have been dead.

By the way, what did you end up doing with your Trek 1000 after the car crash? Did you get the wheels fixed or just sell it? How's that C'Dale 1000 working out? Did you get your frame fit issues resolved?

By the way, what did you end up doing with your Trek 1000 after the car crash? Did you get the wheels fixed or just sell it? How's that C'Dale 1000 working out? Did you get your frame fit issues resolved?[/QUOTE]

The car crash actually didn't do anything but scuff my brake handle. My "do it yourself" philosophy for wheel truing was so bad that I had to buy new wheels. All the better for my brother in law. I sold him my old Trek1000 with a brand new set of spartacus wheels on it. He now has the cycle bug and we are going to try to compete (some day) together. The new bike has had it's ups and downs. At first, I had buyer's remorse. After that, I fell in love with it. Now, after I thought I had the bike dialed-in perfectly, my lower back freezes. When I started over with the adjustments, I found that my seat was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far back and am waiting for the weather to clear so I test out my new adjustments. I really haven't put the effort in to it that I planned. I still have a hard time keeping up with fellow riders and really need to get of my ass and train so I am not left behind by my buddies.

cdaleguy said:
I think a decrease in resting HR is also due parasympathetic dominance, an increase in vagal tone and a decrease in sympathetic tone. This affects the overall firing of the SA node in the heart.