Does Soda caffeine, coffee or tea reduce antibiotic effeciency?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Adam, Feb 13, 2005.

  1. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Hi all ,
    I hope this group is an appropriate place to ask his:

    If someone is taking some antibiotic, say, a course of penicillin
    to treat an infection/inflamation/abscess ...

    would you recommend such patients to avoid drinking
    "soda" products like Cola (coke), Gingerale ...that contains
    carbonic acid ( i think H2CO3 (H2O+CO2)) ?
    would it reduce the absorption/efficiency of the antibiotic?

    And...
    would taking caffeine or the similar stimulating alkaloid, ...etc
    like drinking considerable amount of coffee or tea ...
    (or maybe ginsing..)
    would this boosts up the effeciency of the penicillin or
    other antibiotics or would it reduce the effciency of the medication
    and obstruct its functionality?
    (or would it have just no effect?)

    if you don't have an answer, could you please
    refer me to web resources/research done in this area that
    you would recommend,

    thank you very much in advance

    Tags:

  2. Robert

    Robert Guest

    There are a variety of issues pertaining to way and antibiotic may work or
    not work and absorption is only one them. Differing antibiotics can have
    interactions which may inhibit activity or alter other drug interactions.
    These are all antibiotic specific and the pharmacist will always have
    warnings when other foods can inhibit absorption or drug interactions.
    The other issue pertains to whether it is the appropriate antibiotic in the
    first place which is dependent on conditions and site of activity. All
    antibiotics are given in doses of minimum inhibitory concentrations MIC to
    inhibit specific bacteria's. It is not meant to kill the bacteria but to
    inhibit the bacteria from growing and then allowing the bodies own defenses
    to finish the job.
    Certain conditions such as diabetes can alter the host defense to allow
    chronic infections to continue. The white cells have altered decreased
    phagocytic activity because of the high glucose levels.
    Antibiotics may not "cure" the infection in those situations. Wound care
    centers have become common place because of these situations.
    A soft drink because of the high sugar is not good for diabetics or anyone
    else.
    As far as tea goes it is well known that some do have positive
    immunomodulatory effects.

    Biofactors. 2004;21(1-4):119-21. Related Articles, Links

    Protective effects of green tea catechins on alveolar macrophages against
    bacterial infections.

    Yamamoto Y, Matsunaga K, Friedman H.

    Department of Basic Laboratory Sciences, Osaka University Graduate School of
    Medicine, Suita 565-0871, Japan.

    Bacterial pneumonia in immunocompromised patients as well as elderly persons
    often becomes a life threatening disease, even when effective antibiotics
    are used extensively. In addition, the appearance of antibiotic-resistant
    bacteria in medical facilities as well as in patients requires another
    approach to treat such patients besides treatment with antibiotics. In this
    regard, green tea catechins, such as epigallocatechin gallate (EGCg), may be
    one of the potential agents for such purpose due to its possible potential
    immunomodulatory as well as antimicrobial activity. The studies by us showed
    that EGCg enhanced the in vitro resistance of alveolar macrophages to
    Legionella pneumophila infection by selective immunomodulatory effects on
    cytokine formation. Furthermore, the tobacco smoking-induced impairment of
    alveolar macrophages regarding antibacterial as well as immune activity was
    also recovered by EGCg treatment. These results indicate that EGCg may be a
    possible potential immunotherapeutic agent against respiratory infections in
    immunocompromised patients, such as heavy smokers.

    PMID: 15630181 [PubMed - in process]

    news:[email protected]