Does Speeding Apply To Cycling?

We don't have that in our country. Our cyclists are basically allowed to do what they want.

We don't have that in our country. Our cyclists are basically allowed to do what they want.
Connie858 said:
In the UK, it is not possible to do a cyclist for speeding, only to book them for "wanton and furious pedalling"!
But I have to confess I take great pride in setting off a speed camera when I am cycling! It is so much fun (where safe to do so)... :p
I would love to take a visit or even to live in the Uk one day. It seems like a decently organized place to live. Everything is well moderated and kept in balance.

I guess it depends on where you're from. Each of us have different domestic rules that apply to us as cyclists operating within our own countries.

schwinnhund said:
Speed laws apply to cyclists in the US, same as for cars. I have been ticketed (and convicted) 2 times for speeding, over 40 years of riding. The judges in both cases were amused, but fined me just the same. In both instances, I was coming to the end of a long downhill run, and trying not to smoke my brakes (I've lived in the Southern Appalachian Mountains for over 3 decades).
Wow the US laws are very strict. It sounds to me like you just could not help the situation. I'm sorry you got ticketed.

I live in the USA and I have been cited for speeding. It was upheld in court and I had to pay the fine. It may be different elsewhere, but in my neck of the woods for all intents and purposes legally with very few exceptions bicycle=car if used on the road.

My top speed on a bike was 93kph but that was in a 100kph zone so ok legally - but still not safe.

There is a hill here where I've reached 73kph (tailwind etc) but in an 80kph so as above.

I did do 68kph in a 50kph zone past a speed camera van! I waved and unsurprisingly enough - never got a ticket.

schwinnhund said:
Speed laws apply to cyclists in the US, same as for cars. I have been ticketed (and convicted) 2 times for speeding, over 40 years of riding. The judges in both cases were amused, but fined me just the same. In both instances, I was coming to the end of a long downhill run, and trying not to smoke my brakes (I've lived in the Southern Appalachian Mountains for over 3 decades).
kool. Sorry about that. The judges shoulda had some leniency.

Bigbananabike said:
My top speed on a bike was 93kph but that was in a 100kph zone so ok legally - but still not safe.

There is a hill here where I've reached 73kph (tailwind etc) but in an 80kph so as above.

I did do 68kph in a 50kph zone past a speed camera van! I waved and unsurprisingly enough - never got a ticket.
I really wonder what the person operating it thought as you speed past on your bike. I wonder if they had the thought to report of pursue you haha! :)

The speed limit still applies, but I think that cyclists actually breaking the speed limit and being ticketed happens so seldom that you just never hear about it. I didn't know it was possible until a friend of mine was ticketed going down the steepest hill in our city.

You're a vehicle on the road so you have to be held to the same standard, and riding recklessly on a bike in traffic can be really dangerous for yourself and everyone else. Most people seem to have a hard enough time sharing the road with a cyclist as it is, speeding just adds another layer risk to the whole thing.

Susimi said:
I really wonder what the person operating it thought as you speed past on your bike. I wonder if they had the thought to report of pursue you haha! :)
They were stuck in a parked speed camera van and unable to pursue anyone and trying to radio to get a cop to chase me....not likely ;)

In the US you have to follow all rules that cars follow. You can be ticketed for not stopping at stop signs!

Technically, any regulations that should apply to a motor vehicle should also apply to cycling.Sadly it is not and many people have very unsafe practices. The amount of people I see who ride without a helmet, against instead of with traffic, and on the sidewalk in my town is probably at least 70-80%. I don't blame cops for not being so strict on these things as it would require to much man power. In NYC, riders take way too many liberties with traffic rules, i'm surprised their aren't more cyclist accidents.

johnny123 said:
In the US you have to follow all rules that cars follow. You can be ticketed for not stopping at stop signs!
Buzzz! Wrong answer! In the USA traffic is handled by local jurisdictions. It will vary state to state, county to county, and even city to city.

Connie858 said:
In the UK, it is not possible to do a cyclist for speeding, only to book them for "wanton and furious pedalling"!
But I have to confess I take great pride in setting off a speed camera when I am cycling! It is so much fun (where safe to do so)... :p
Incorrectomundo.

King Alf (Alf Engers - the first man to do a 49 minute, 25 mile time trial) once got a ticket during a 25 mile TT for doing over 50mph.

As a cyclist, you need to adhere to the rules of the road of you pay the price. Growing up I rode and raced in England, now I live and work in sunny California - both places offer the prized speeding ticket for cyclists.

What I would really like to see are more tickets for those numbnuts on a bicycle that don't even make the slightest effort to stop at a road junction.

I am not aware if we have them in my country. I just make it sure that I do follow traffic and road rules to avoid getting a ticket or something. Some people think they are not covered because they are using bikes and they have no plates to identify them so they can do anything as they please. I am still going after my safety and I would not dare take a risk

Jcycle said:
Buzzz! Wrong answer! In the USA traffic is handled by local jurisdictions. It will vary state to state, county to county, and even city to city.
Actually officer to officer. Many do not know the laws.

Theres a 1 in 1.25 gradient hill in my town (in the UK) There are no turnings, little traffic and no pedestrians. Its my little treat when I'm almost home to fly down that, the wind blowing through my hair, etc, etc. I easily keep up with the cars that are all driving at about the 30MPH limit. A few years ago a guys exhaust pipe fell off his car and directly under my wheels. After flying not very graciously through the air for a few metres I was slightly injured, but it looked more impressive as a slight cut on my arm produced a large amount of bleeding. When the police arrived they were giving me a lot of the 'well it looks like you were speeding' type of attitude but they admitted that cyclists are free from speeding charges in the UK. I got off completely free with only some dented pride and the car driver got ticketed for an out-of-date MOT.