Does such a jacket exist?

Peter Clinch

Guest
Hi folks, reasonably extensive trawling has failed to find such a thing,
but if you know better please let me know:

- windproof, but not formally waterproof (unless it's ventile, needs to be breathable)

- pockets on the chest, preferably one each side (don't care about back pockets, I'll be sat on them
anway on the 'bent)

- lightweight (not more than 600g, preferably quite a bit less)

- obnoxiously bright dayglo colour with mucho reflective trim rendering it visible from the moon
day or night.

- extra vents wouldn't be frowned on, but aren't necessary. Jacket preferable but pullover
smock okay.

Freestyle's Soft shell Windstopper Freedom looks just the ticket aside from the cunning stealth
colours, not known for their interplanetary visibility characteristics :-(

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

many moons ago in a land far far away (south of watford in any case) we had a need for windproof
jackets for climbing that were light, not as bulky as goretex and cheap.

No such thing existed so we did the next best thing.. buy the fabric and make one.

I still use mine in the summer (It is known as the sausage skin by my other half as I have put on a
little weight since it was first created) but am tempted to find the necessary fabrics etc to
recreate one in dayglo with a few extra features. It is not too hard to do if you have the
appropriate equipment and a little time. And also means that you get exactly what you want.

..d

On 4/2/04 4:25 pm, in article [email protected], "Peter Clinch"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi folks, reasonably extensive trawling has failed to find such a thing, but if you know better
> please let me know:
>
> - windproof, but not formally waterproof (unless it's ventile, needs to be breathable)
>
> - pockets on the chest, preferably one each side (don't care about back pockets, I'll be sat on
> them anway on the 'bent)
>
> - lightweight (not more than 600g, preferably quite a bit less)
>
> - obnoxiously bright dayglo colour with mucho reflective trim rendering it visible from the moon
> day or night.
>
> - extra vents wouldn't be frowned on, but aren't necessary. Jacket preferable but pullover
> smock okay.
>
> Freestyle's Soft shell Windstopper Freedom looks just the ticket aside from the cunning stealth
> colours, not known for their interplanetary visibility characteristics :-(
>
> Pete.

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:25:08 +0000, Peter Clinch <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Hi folks, reasonably extensive trawling has failed to find such a thing, but if you know better
> please let me know:
>
> - windproof, but not formally waterproof (unless it's ventile, needs to be breathable)
>
> - pockets on the chest, preferably one each side (don't care about back pockets, I'll be sat on
> them anway on the 'bent)
>
> - lightweight (not more than 600g, preferably quite a bit less)
>
> - obnoxiously bright dayglo colour with mucho reflective trim rendering it visible from the moon
> day or night.
>
> - extra vents wouldn't be frowned on, but aren't necessary. Jacket preferable but pullover
> smock okay.

The Parrot Amazon shell has just one chest pocket, it's a pull-over with a long zip. Very light,
pertex. no venting and although it comes in a bright yello it isn't AFAIK dayglo.

Not quite I guess.

Colin
--

A quick look on the Sugoi web site under running wear reveals the
following two candidates, that seem quite close to your requirements:

http://www.sugoi.ca/sugoimain/main.aspx?sectionStyleID=3861&color=NUG Men's Run - Outerwear Thermal
Transition Jacket 70718U A warm, multi-purpose jacket in MicraTherm with MicroFine outer panels for
chilly training

* MicraTherm's short-sheared micro fiber fleece provides high insulation and quick moisture
transfer with lightweight and low bulk
* MicroFine offers a comfortable balance between water resistance and breathability
* The collar and cuffs are fitted with MidZero
* MicraTherm body with weatherblock front and sleeve panels in MicroFine
* Two comfortable front zip pockets
* Finished with bottom facing and shockcord
* Scotchlite detail around 7 inch back zipper pocket

FABRIC: MicroFine, 100% Polyester Microfiber FABRIC: MicraTherm, 100% Polyester Microfiber FABRIC:
MidZero, 87% Polyester / 13% Spandex Brushed Knit SIZES: S-2XL COLORS: Nugget, Deep Water, Inc,
Black SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE: GBP £86.00

http://www.sugoi.ca/sugoimain/main.aspx?sectionStyleID=3997&color=NUG Bosui Vapor Street Jacket
72755U Light weight, weatherproof protection to take to the streets

* Bosui Vapor provides high-output breathable waterproof protection thanks to its outstanding
2.5 ply lightweight laminate construction
* Partially seamsealed along the essential shoulder seams
* Inner front zip flap to reduce draft
* Two comfortable front zip pockets
* Finished with bottom facing and shockcord
* Comfortably positioned elastic cuffs
* Scotchlite positioned along front and back seams

FABRIC: Bosui Vapor, 100% Polyester Outer / 100% Polyurethane Laminate SIZES: S-2XL COLORS: Nugget,
Ferno, Inc, Black SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE: GBP £110.00

NB. Nugget is a very bright yellow colour!

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Hi folks, reasonably extensive trawling has failed to find such a thing, but if you know better
> please let me know:
>
> - windproof, but not formally waterproof (unless it's ventile, needs to be breathable)
>
> - pockets on the chest, preferably one each side (don't care about back pockets, I'll be sat on
> them anway on the 'bent)
>
> - lightweight (not more than 600g, preferably quite a bit less)
>
> - obnoxiously bright dayglo colour with mucho reflective trim rendering it visible from the moon
> day or night.
>
> - extra vents wouldn't be frowned on, but aren't necessary. Jacket preferable but pullover
> smock okay.
>
> Freestyle's Soft shell Windstopper Freedom looks just the ticket aside from the cunning stealth
> colours, not known for their interplanetary visibility characteristics :-(
>
> Pete.

> Hi folks, reasonably extensive trawling has failed to find such a thing,
> but if you know better please let me know:
>
> - windproof, but not formally waterproof (unless it's ventile, needs to be breathable)
>
> - pockets on the chest, preferably one each side (don't care about back pockets, I'll be sat on
> them anway on the 'bent)
>
> - lightweight (not more than 600g, preferably quite a bit less)
>
> - obnoxiously bright dayglo colour with mucho reflective trim rendering it visible from the moon
> day or night.
>
> - extra vents wouldn't be frowned on, but aren't necessary. Jacket preferable but pullover
> smock okay.
>
> Freestyle's Soft shell Windstopper Freedom looks just the ticket aside from the cunning stealth
> colours, not known for their interplanetary visibility characteristics :-(

Have you wandered into any hiking shops? They've all got sales on at the mo (but it's final
reductions for most so hurry) and you should be able to find something that fits the bill. Only
thing to worry about is lack of reflective thingies, but walkers have as bad a dress sense as us
cyclists so horribly bright colours shouldn't be too difficult.

Peter Clinch wrote:

> Hi folks, reasonably extensive trawling has failed to find such a thing, but if you know better
> please let me know:
>
> - windproof, but not formally waterproof (unless it's ventile, needs to be breathable)
>
> - pockets on the chest, preferably one each side (don't care about back pockets, I'll be sat on
> them anway on the 'bent)
>
> - lightweight (not more than 600g, preferably quite a bit less)
>
> - obnoxiously bright dayglo colour with mucho reflective trim rendering it visible from the moon
> day or night.
>
> - extra vents wouldn't be frowned on, but aren't necessary. Jacket preferable but pullover
> smock okay.
>
> Freestyle's Soft shell Windstopper Freedom looks just the ticket aside from the cunning stealth
> colours, not known for their interplanetary visibility characteristics :-(
>
> Pete.

I have a Pearl Izumi Zephyr. Windproof, light and fluorescent yellow. Has an internal pocket at the
front, but not zipped.

David Martin wrote:
> many moons ago in a land far far away (south of watford in any case) we had a need for windproof
> jackets for climbing that were light, not as bulky as goretex and cheap.
>
> No such thing existed so we did the next best thing.. buy the fabric and make one.

The half-way house would be to buy a basic wind resistant jacket like the Ozzo September Jacket from
Mike Dyason's (smooth & lightweight @ 200g, eye-strainingly dayglo) then sew on pockets and
reflectives. A minimal Lusso Tactel Gilet (100g) could be worn underneath when extra wind protection
was required. A great combo: I have the two garments but have never got round to adding some
reflectives.

~PB

In message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> writes
>Hi folks, reasonably extensive trawling has failed to find such a thing, but if you know better
>please let me know:

Good on reflective stuff, but low on pockets (only has an inside one) - the MEC Bernoulli Cycling
Jacket Men's http://makeashorterlink.com/?D25F13C47

I still wear mine, bought in 1995. I'm sure it cost UKP76 then.

--
congokid Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google http://congokid.com

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Hi folks, reasonably extensive trawling has failed to find such a thing, but if you know better
> please let me know:

<snip>

Thanks for the suggestions... none are *quite* there (the Suomis were insulated and waterproof
respectively, I was in MEC in Novemeber and they didn't do fluo, an inside pocket on the PIz not
that convenient, and so on. Could be time to drag out the sewing machine, but if anyone does see
that elusive perfect (for me) jacket, please let me know!

Ta, Pete.

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Hi folks, reasonably extensive trawling has failed to find such a thing, but if you know better
> please let me know:

<snip>

Roos has proven better at web searches than me and dug up the Pearl Izumi Escape jacket as a very
likely contender. None of you folks would happen to know if it exists in the UK at all, perchance?

Ta, Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/