Does Sunscreen Accelerate Cancer?

passionispain

Mar 30, 2011
It’s common knowledge that the sun can both give and take away life. Yet, we always see the supreme good in our solar system’s lone star. After all, it is the origin of all life on our planet. But with recent increases in pollution the Earth’s ozone layer is becoming thinner, allowing more ultraviolet (UV) radiation into our atmosphere. And when the risks of this ultraviolet light include such catastrophes as skin cancer and cataracts, I’m sure glad there’s a product like sunscreen to significantly decrease the threat factor. That is, until I read this.
According to a report by AOL News in May 2010, the research organization Environmental Working Group (EWG) performed tests on 500 of the most popular sunscreen products. Their results showed the majority of the products increased the rate malignant cells developed and spread skin cancer. EWG cited ingredients such as Vitamin A and its by-products like retinyl palmitate, as the culprits. These elements’ photcarcinogenic properties cause cancerous tumors to form upon exposure to sunlight.
Below you can see a study done on lab animals coated in a Vitamin A cream. Tests showed that the cream made tumors and lesions form up to 21% faster.

The study goes on to say that most SPF numbers are basically meaningless:
"People don't get the high SPF they pay for… People apply about a quarter of the recommended amount. So in everyday practice, a product labeled SPF 100 really performs like SPF 3.2, an SPF 30 rating equates to a 2.3 and an SPF 15 translates to 2."
What makes this story stranger is that AOL News uncovered documents and interviews implying the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had known of the dangers for as long as 10 years without going public. After being asked about the issue, the FDA denied all such claims.
The study goes on to say that EWG found only 39 of the 500 products tested, or about 8%, were considered safe and effective. The main fault they found with the products was the use of a hormone disrupting chemical called oxybenzone, which permeates the skin and enters the bloodstream.
Although I can believe the claims about SPF numbers being misleading, I don’t think I’m going to stop applying sunscreen anytime soon. If tests show only a small amount of sunscreens work, I’d rather take my chances since it sounds like I could get melanoma either way.

This article was based on a report covered by AOL News.

I think it does. There are chemicals in there. I stopped wearing sunscreen on my face awhile ago. The skin does look better. I just cover my body up. I've heard many times that the chemicals in the sunscreens accelerate cancer. I found it made the color of the skin very uneven. Like kind of blotchy.

Well, this is a bit of an eye-opener.

I was pretty careful of the sun making sure to use sun screen so I don't burn and cause damage to the skin, but reading this just makes me question if I'm doing the right thing now.

It's an almost damned if you do, damned if you don't situation...