Does Sweating Decrease The More You Cycle?

biobrandedarmorzet

Jun 13, 2015
Do less fit cyclists (beginners) sweat more than long time cyclists? I was just curious if anything in our physiology changes when we become more fit/athletic with regards to amount of sweat produced and heat generated by our bodies.

Reactions: haleylx4
There isn't necessarily a correlation - I've observed some really peak-condition athletes in their prime drip like faucets with moderate exertion and some really out of shape people not sweat that much with heavy exertion. Probably more of a function of individual physiology than of conditioning / my uneducated opinion not based on any medical training or knowledge, just observation.

A skinnier rider should sweat less than a heavier rider, because they're not working as hard to get the same speed on the climbs.

But then again, I've seen the saying, "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster." So using that, a more fit cyclist will still sweat as much, but it will evaporate quicker because of their speed.

I practically leave a sweat crumb trail back to where I started and have been cycling for years now. I think it may have even gotten worse.

For years (or decades) I would have said no, it doesn't change. However as I age beyond the warranty period, I'm finding that hot as I ran for decades, I'm running hotter now when I work hard.

It is what it is.
You body has its own programing.
At 134 lbs. I seldom if ever sweat even in in 110 degree heat.
However, high humidity will increase the likelihood of perspiring.
Get used to it!

I notice that I get a little sweaty on my ride, but the moment I stop is when I start to sweat A LOT. Within a minute of stopping in anything above 80 degree weather, I look like I got out of a swimming pool. And I'm a skinny guy.

Too many variable, that is too simple of a connection.
Everyone sweats differently. Conditions are constantly changing.

Doesn't change as long as the setting your biking in doesn't change. It is the the matter of how your body cools down. You'll use the same amount of energy biking depending of you are going at the same speed as the previous trip so you'll be cooling down pretty equally. Of course of the weather or cooler or hotter, you will prespire less or more.

I've found that I sweat more now that I've been riding for a while and my body has become more athletic. Although, the humidity here in my country is off the charts... I really think that I'm sweating more. Although, an office mate of mine said that sweating a lot is a sign of a healthy body.

I wanted to know this too.
I heard that the more you exercise, the better your blood circulation becomes, making you sweat less? I guess it isn't true.

One really has nothing to do with the other. A person's ability to sweat has to do with their pores. If the pores are clogged with junk they won't sweat much. Even a light regular work out regardless of fitness level should make anyone break a sweat.
Beginner and advanced whatever the sport the difference will lie in one's endurance. Advanced will do things with ease, not much strain or pain. Beginner will struggle and feel things more. Effortless comes with time.

I have not thought about this topic really and I am not aware how much do I perspire. Maybe it depends on the humidity as I tend to get lots of sweat when it is higher. I must say I sweat pretty much the same from the very start that I ride or hit the gym

In my experience, I don't have to work as hard. But in terms of my sweat to heart rate ratio, it stays the same. It does, however, take longer to get the ol heart pumping hard. So in a way, yes.

No. Not necessarily. The way peoples bodies respond to physical exertion is dependent on a lot of factors. It is different for each individual.