Does swimming make you a better runner?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Runner13.1, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Runner13.1

Runner13.1 New Member

I've been running for about 10 years. I'm pretty consistent on my times. I run the same paths, at the same pace for about 5 years. I do about 9:15 per mile, which is a pace that I feel I could run forever at.

Last year I started swimming. I could barely do two laps before I was out of breath.
    I started following the TI swim books for the last three months, and I swear I can swim for 2000m strait! It's not a fast swim, but I am amazed. It's like things have changed overnight.

I've noticed something else though.
    My running times have changed from 9:15 per mile to 8:30 per mile. I haven't changed my running stye, and I'm not trying harder. It's just faster!

It's cooler now, and that may have something to do with it, but not that much.

Does my increasing endurance in swimming, increase my running time?
    Would love to hear your thoughts.

Tags:
    steve likes this.

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Probably, you've simply plateau'ed in your training.
    The body is very good at adapting to what you ask of it.
    So If you've done the same paths st the same pace for 5 years, it's no wonder you're not seeing any improvement any more.
    The swimming simply raised the bar, shook things up a bit.
    You probably would have seen a similar improvement from several other changes to your training routine.

steve likes this.
  3. winstanleyrims

winstanleyrims New Member

i know better running doesnt make you a better swimmer.. but the other way around, i doubt it...

4. Power Meter City

I have found that the rule of specificity really applies here. Running makes you a better runner, cycling makes you a better cyclist, etc. Cross training is great for overall fitness, keeps things interesting and fun, etc, but to really improve in a discipline, you need to do that discipline I think.

5. Runner13.1

Runner13.1 New Member

I think that dabac had it right. I think that my run training had plateau'ed. When i added something new, swimming, it shook things up.

6. pharma

pharma New Member

Pharma Science, the Indian Ayurveda product Anti Piles is a complete resolution for your piles problems. This medicine will cure all hemorrhoids from both internal and external problem forever. Yours piles will be removed only there will be marks. The treatment duration is only of 15 day and in these days you will see the difference.

Hemorrhoids treatment should be taken under our authorized and registered doctors. It is not directly send to the patients. It is totally an Ayurvedic medicine consist of haridra, maida, Shavet paparti, ghee, rakt chandan, shalmali niryasa, nariayal tail.

This medicine comes with the 100% money back guarantee, if your piles problem is not solved you can have your money back.
    For More Visit

……………………………………………………………………..

Anti Piles