Does swimming make you a better runner?

Runner13.1

Aug 30, 2016
Ohio
I've been running for about 10 years. I'm pretty consistent on my times. I run the same paths, at the same pace for about 5 years. I do about 9:15 per mile, which is a pace that I feel I could run forever at.

Last year I started swimming. I could barely do two laps before I was out of breath.
I started following the TI swim books for the last three months, and I swear I can swim for 2000m strait! It's not a fast swim, but I am amazed. It's like things have changed overnight.

I've noticed something else though.
My running times have changed from 9:15 per mile to 8:30 per mile. I haven't changed my running stye, and I'm not trying harder. It's just faster!

It's cooler now, and that may have something to do with it, but not that much.

Does my increasing endurance in swimming, increase my running time?
Would love to hear your thoughts.

Reactions: steve
Probably, you've simply plateau'ed in your training.
The body is very good at adapting to what you ask of it.
So If you've done the same paths st the same pace for 5 years, it's no wonder you're not seeing any improvement any more.
The swimming simply raised the bar, shook things up a bit.
You probably would have seen a similar improvement from several other changes to your training routine.

Reactions: steve
I have found that the rule of specificity really applies here. Running makes you a better runner, cycling makes you a better cyclist, etc. Cross training is great for overall fitness, keeps things interesting and fun, etc, but to really improve in a discipline, you need to do that discipline I think.

I think that dabac had it right. I think that my run training had plateau'ed. When i added something new, swimming, it shook things up.

Pharma Science, the Indian Ayurveda product Anti Piles is a complete resolution for your piles problems. This medicine will cure all hemorrhoids from both internal and external problem forever. Yours piles will be removed only there will be marks. The treatment duration is only of 15 day and in these days you will see the difference.

Hemorrhoids treatment should be taken under our authorized and registered doctors. It is not directly send to the patients. It is totally an Ayurvedic medicine consist of haridra, maida, Shavet paparti, ghee, rakt chandan, shalmali niryasa, nariayal tail.

This medicine comes with the 100% money back guarantee, if your piles problem is not solved you can have your money back.
For More Visit

……………………………………………………………………..

Anti Piles

Probably that is possible, swimming helps shape your muscles from upper to lower body and helps level up your stamina in which it is vital requirements in running. Training and self discipline is very important in this field, our brain can be reprogrammed just like a computer, the more you train in different circumstances the more your body will adapt to those circumstances. Just like when you train yourself in swimming, your goal to swim as fast as you can the same thing well happen into running too, the more your mind is set to that particular goal the rest of your body movement will adapt to reach that common goal.

I've been running for about 10 years. I'm pretty consistent on my times. I run the same paths, at the same pace for about 5 years. I do about 9:15 per mile, which is a pace that I feel I could run forever at.

Last year I started swimming. I could barely do two laps before I was out of breath.
I started following the TI swim books for the last three months, and I swear I can swim for 2000m strait! It's not a fast swim, but I am amazed. It's like things have changed overnight.

I've noticed something else though.
My running times have changed from 9:15 per mile to 8:30 per mile. I haven't changed my running stye, and I'm not trying harder. It's just faster!

It's cooler now, and that may have something to do with it, but not that much.

Does my increasing endurance in swimming, increase my running time?
Would love to hear your thoughts.

It's because swimming is a total package exercise and workout. It puts all your muscle in work including your lungs since you are holding your breath for a period of time. Therefore, your cardio became more healthier because of your consistent swimming training. No wonder a lot of athletes now is already trying cross fit training. Doing workouts and other sports to hone their skills and conditioning.

I am not anti-sports but that Iron Man competition baffles me. It seems that the competition is trying to break the body of the contestants. I don't see the logic of combining 3 disciplines in 1 sport such as running, cycling, and swimming. Maybe that's why it is called iron man competition because you can only finish the race if you have an iron guts aside from your durable body and stamina. Anyway, with the question about swimming and running, I think there is a connection because you also exercise your feet the most when you are swimming. However, I don't recommend running right after swimming for some laps.

I am not anti-sports but that Iron Man competition baffles me. It seems that the competition is trying to break the body of the contestants. I don't see the logic of combining 3 disciplines in 1 sport such as running, cycling, and swimming. Maybe that's why it is called iron man competition because you can only finish the race if you have an iron guts aside from your durable body and stamina. Anyway, with the question about swimming and running, I think there is a connection because you also exercise your feet the most when you are swimming. However, I don't recommend running right after swimming for some laps.

Well maybe it's a test of endurance. Those three sports is a game of cardio endurance and capability. And the arrangement is quite good. Just imagine trying to swim after running or cycling? Swimming purposely put in first to avoid or lessen a bad effect on the body of the participant.

Reactions: Corzhens
The added resistance of water to your body makes swimming much difficult particularly on the upper body compared to running. This improves your endurance and also upper body strength. Improving your endurance is an important part of running so it's not a surprise at all that you have improved your running times. Good job and keep on swimming!

The added resistance of water to your body makes swimming much difficult particularly on the upper body compared to running. This improves your endurance and also upper body strength. Improving your endurance is an important part of running so it's not a surprise at all that you have improved your running times. Good job and keep on swimming!

I agree with you brother. Your muscle is more pressured when you are practicing swimming. It is definitely a good exercise for you since it requires more effort on your muscles making it more durable and efficient as time goes by.

Honestly I don't know, I don't know how to swim, but I know how to run, but I think yes, because of the pressure under water will help your lower body to develop more and become stronger, that's why some of the athletes always doing their exercise in the swimming pool.

Well, swimming is the best cardio exercise ever. Besides moving your whole body, so it means you are exercising literally all the muscle groups in your body, you also have to deal with natural water resistance, so there you go, if you are doing a better cardio and increasing your resistance, obviously you will improve your running performance. Mostly, all the runners that I know, tend to do swimming also, and now I know why.