Does the Daily Mail hates Cyclists?

JNugent wrote:
> Marc wrote:
>> JNugent wrote:

>>> No.

>> Your turn then, how often?

> Let's play it your way ...

Fine, answer the question.... How often?

Daniel Barlow wrote:

> JNugent <[email protected]> writes:

>> If, every five years, a UK pedestrian was killed by a law-breaking
>> cyclist riding along the footway, would that amount to:

>> (a) too few pedestrians being killed by cyclists?
>> (b) about the right number of pedestrians being killed by cyclists?
>> (c) one too many?

> "If it saves just one life ..."

> Please, won't somebody think of the children?

That's actually a much more appropriate response than I think you
intended to post.

Is the little girl out of danger yet, do you know?

Marc wrote:

> JNugent wrote:
>> Marc wrote:

>>> Your turn then, how often?

>> Let's play it your way ...

> Fine, answer the question.... How often?

I don't know; I don't spend my life looking up stats - I prefer to look
at things from a broad perspective. But pedestrians - often doing
outrageous things like stepping out of their own front doors or loading
their cars - are certainly killed or seriously injured by footway
cyclits rather more often than once in five years.

But however few it is, it's too many, as I'm sure you would have agreed
had you not been too embarrassed to give your answer. I do you the
honour of assuming that you don't have a target for a minimum number of
pedestrians killed in such circumstances and that you too would prefer
that the number of pedestrians killed on the footway by cyclists was zero.

JNugent wrote:
> Marc wrote:
>
>> JNugent wrote:

>>> Let's play it your way ...

>> Fine, answer the question.... How often?

> I don't know; I don't spend my life looking up stats - I prefer to look
> at things from a broad perspective. But pedestrians - often doing
> outrageous things like stepping out of their own front doors or loading
> their cars - are certainly killed or seriously injured by footway
> cyclits rather more often than once in five years.

Sure? You have moved from 'life threatening' to "seriously injured" and
you admit you don't know the facts, how long before we get to "bruised
knee" , with you still not knowing how often it really happens?
You said that 'life threatening' injuries from collisions with cyclists
occured "*Too* often" yet it seems you don't know how often is too often!

> But however few it is, it's too many,

Is it?

Have you done a cost benefit excercise to measure if it really is "too
many"? Thousands are killed every year by car drivers, that could be
slashed by enforcing a 5mph limit everywhere, but it's not worth it.
That means that society has decided that the kill rate is acceptable, I
would suggest that the same is true of pavement cyclists. Society has
decided that one death every 4-5 years is acceptable , in that you are
out of step with society.

as I'm sure you would have agreed
> had you not been too embarrassed to give your answer.

I wasn't embarrised, when I have finished with you answering my question
, I may get around to considering answering your mind trap.
I do you the
> honour of assuming that you don't have a target for a minimum number of
> pedestrians killed in such circumstances and that you too would prefer
> that the number of pedestrians killed on the footway by cyclists was zero.

An impossible target ,pedestrians killed on the footway by cyclists = a
number higher than zero to date , so can never =0, no matter how far you
stretch the length of measurment. Your demand for 0 makes a good sound
bite, much like those that scream for 0% alcohol limit for drivers
without understanding the biological or numerical problems that would
create.

JNugent wrote:

> You *never* see a car being driven along a footway at normal travelling
> speed (let's not digress onto the subject of vehicles which are out of
> control - that's a different, if well-used, red herring).

I saw three in succession mount the pavement in Heckmondwike to pass
traffic waiting to turn right from the A638 onto the B6177 that had
backed up to the Cemetery Road turn.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&h...7397,-1.675369&spn=0.000927,0.001891&t=h&z=19

http://preview.tinyurl.com/4mjqen

Not at full speed but faster than a lot of cyclists.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtjinkasDotfreeserve.co.uk

Marc wrote:

> JNugent wrote:
>> Marc wrote:

>>> Fine, answer the question.... How often?

>> I don't know; I don't spend my life looking up stats - I prefer to
>> look at things from a broad perspective. But pedestrians - often doing
>> outrageous things like stepping out of their own front doors or
>> footway cyclits rather more often than once in five years.

> Sure? You have moved from 'life threatening' to "seriously injured"

Please treat "seriously injured" as meaning "life-threatening". I see no
difference between them.

> and
> you admit you don't know the facts,

But I do know the relevant fact. The fact is that one pedestrian injured
or killed on a footway where they should be completely safe from traffic
is one too many.

If you don't agree, please say so explicitly.

> how long before we get to "bruised
> knee" , with you still not knowing how often it really happens?
> You said that 'life threatening' injuries from collisions with cyclists
> occured "*Too* often" yet it seems you don't know how often is too often!

I have said all the way through that one is one too many.

It's only you who seems to think that there is a number of pedestrian
deaths or critical injuries below which they're not worth worrying about.

>> But however few it is, it's too many,

> Is it?

ABSOLUTELY.

> Have you done a cost benefit excercise to measure if it really is "too
> many"? Thousands are killed every year by car drivers, that could be
> slashed by enforcing a 5mph limit everywhere, but it's not worth it.
> That means that society has decided that the kill rate is acceptable, I
> would suggest that the same is true of pavement cyclists. Society has
> decided that one death every 4-5 years is acceptable , in that you are
> out of step with society.

Don't talk rubbish. Society has decided nothing of the sort. Cycling on
the footway is a crime (in order to protect pedestrians) - that's what
society has decided.

> as I'm sure you would have agreed
>> had you not been too embarrassed to give your answer.

> I wasn't embarrised, when I have finished with you answering my question
> , I may get around to considering answering your mind trap.

No traps at all. Either you think that pedestrians should be protected
or you don't. I do. You seem not to.

>> I do you the
>> honour of assuming that you don't have a target for a minimum number
>> of pedestrians killed in such circumstances and that you too would
>> prefer that the number of pedestrians killed on the footway by
>> cyclists was zero.

> An impossible target, pedestrians killed on the footway by cyclists = a
> number higher than zero to date , so can never =0, no matter how far you
> stretch the length of measurment. Your demand for 0 makes a good sound
> bite, much like those that scream for 0% alcohol limit for drivers
> without understanding the biological or numerical problems that would
> create.

So you don't mind if a few pedestrians are killed unnecessarily by
footway cyclists?

Andy Morris wrote:
> JNugent wrote:
>>
>> You *never* see a car being driven along a footway at normal
>> travelling speed (let's not digress onto the subject of vehicles which
>> are out of control - that's a different, if well-used, red herring).
>>

> I saw three in succession mount the pavement in Heckmondwike to pass
> traffic waiting to turn right from the A638 onto the B6177 that had
> backed up to the Cemetery Road turn.
>
> http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&h...7397,-1.675369&spn=0.000927,0.001891&t=h&z=19
>

> http://preview.tinyurl.com/4mjqen
>
> Not at full speed but faster than a lot of cyclists.

You see what you did there?

You agreed with what I posted.

JNugent wrote:
> Marc wrote:
>
>> JNugent wrote:

>>> I don't know; I don't spend my life looking up stats - I prefer to
>>> look at things from a broad perspective. But pedestrians - often
>>> doing outrageous things like stepping out of their own front doors or
>>> footway cyclits rather more often than once in five years.

>> Sure? You have moved from 'life threatening' to "seriously injured"

> Please treat "seriously injured" as meaning "life-threatening". I see no
> difference between them.

A simplistic outlook, not well matched to reality.

>> and you admit you don't know the facts,

> But I do know the relevant fact. The fact is that one pedestrian injured
> or killed on a footway where they should be completely safe from traffic
> is one too many.
>
> If you don't agree, please say so explicitly.
>
>> how long before we get to "bruised knee" , with you still not knowing
>> how often it really happens?
>> You said that 'life threatening' injuries from collisions with
>> cyclists occured "*Too* often" yet it seems you don't know how often
>> is too often!

> I have said all the way through that one is one too many.

Am mindless soundbite.

> It's only you who seems to think that there is a number of pedestrian
> deaths or critical injuries below which they're not worth worrying about.

Myself, and it would seem society in general.

>>> But however few it is, it's too many,

>> Is it?

> ABSOLUTELY.

Have you any concept of the word "absolute"? I ask because you use the
term , here, but you are willing to mix up " life threatening" and "
serious injuries".

>> Have you done a cost benefit excercise to measure if it really is "too
>> many"? Thousands are killed every year by car drivers, that could be
>> slashed by enforcing a 5mph limit everywhere, but it's not worth it.
>> That means that society has decided that the kill rate is acceptable,
>> I would suggest that the same is true of pavement cyclists. Society
>> has decided that one death every 4-5 years is acceptable , in that you
>> are out of step with society.

> Don't talk rubbish. Society has decided nothing of the sort. Cycling on
> the footway is a crime (in order to protect pedestrians) - that's what
> society has decided.

A crime that society has decided will be tolerated.

>> as I'm sure you would have agreed
>>> had you not been too embarrassed to give your answer.

>> I wasn't embarrised, when I have finished with you answering my
>> question , I may get around to considering answering your mind trap.

> No traps at all. Either you think that pedestrians should be protected
> or you don't.

That in itself is a mind trap, that you have decided that there can be
only two outcomes.

I do. You seem not to.

>>> I do you the
>>> honour of assuming that you don't have a target for a minimum number
>>> of pedestrians killed in such circumstances and that you too would
>>> prefer that the number of pedestrians killed on the footway by
>>> cyclists was zero.

>> An impossible target, pedestrians killed on the footway by cyclists =
>> a number higher than zero to date , so can never =0, no matter how far
>> you stretch the length of measurment. Your demand for 0 makes a good
>> sound bite, much like those that scream for 0% alcohol limit for
>> drivers without understanding the biological or numerical problems
>> that would create.

> So you don't mind if a few pedestrians are killed unnecessarily by
> footway cyclists?

It's not a matter of minding,it is now impossible for the number to be
made 0, because there have been deaths. There is no point in wishing for
jam tomorrow.

On 19 Jun 2008 19:28:24 GMT someone who may be Ian Smith
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I never heard anything from the police, they never asked for the
>photographs.

Ah, another poor, hard done by, salt of the earth being oppressed by
the police. I must write a letter to the Daily Wail.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

JNugent wrote:
> But I do know the relevant fact. The fact is that one pedestrian injured
> or killed on a footway where they should be completely safe from traffic
> is one too many.
>
> If you don't agree, please say so explicitly.

> So you don't mind if a few pedestrians are killed unnecessarily by
> footway cyclists?

At the point where the mumber of pedestrians killed on the footway by
motor vehicles drops to (let's say) ten times the number killed by
cyclists, you might have a case. Until then, given finite police time,
the priority should be the greater danger.

There is something obscene about police spending time fining pavement
cyclists while bad and illegal driving kills thousands of people a year.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

David Hansen wrote:
> On 19 Jun 2008 19:28:24 GMT someone who may be Ian Smith
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>> I never heard anything from the police, they never asked for the
>> photographs.

> Ah, another poor, hard done by, salt of the earth being oppressed by
> the police. I must write a letter to the Daily Wail.

I wonder whether you in fact even read his posting.

On 20 Jun, 01:44, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
> Andy Morris wrote:
> > JNugent wrote:

> >> You *never* see a car being driven along a footway at normal
> >> travelling speed (let's not digress onto the subject of vehicles which
> >> are out of control - that's a different, if well-used, red herring).

> > I saw three in succession mount the pavement in Heckmondwike to pass
> > traffic waiting to turn right from the A638 onto the B6177 that had
> > backed up to the Cemetery Road turn.

> >http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=heckmondwike&sll=5...

> >http://preview.tinyurl.com/4mjqen

> > Not at full speed but faster than a lot of cyclists.

> You see what you did there?
>
> You agreed with what I posted.

This may help:-

http://tinyurl.com/3zu8mr

"Calls have been made for action to tackle rat-running in a narrow
residential road in Bath.

People living in Greenway Lane, Bear Flat, have been concerned for
years about the amount of traffic using it.

They say they are living in constant fear that someone will be killed
by speeding motorists who use the pavement as part of the road.

Resident Jamie South, who says his seven-year-old son William was
nearly hit by a car recently, said: "Something needs to be done
urgently to stop motorists speeding down the road.

"Cars use the pavements to get around each other and it shouldn't be
allowed. My son was nearly run down because of cars driving along the
pavement." "

Squashme wrote:

> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Andy Morris wrote:

>>> I saw three in succession mount the pavement in Heckmondwike to pass
>>> traffic waiting to turn right from the A638 onto the B6177 that had
>>> backed up to the Cemetery Road turn.
>>> http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=heckmondwike&sll=5...
>>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/4mjqen
>>> Not at full speed but faster than a lot of cyclists.

>> You see what you did there?
>> You agreed with what I posted.

> This may help:-
> http://tinyurl.com/3zu8mr
> "Calls have been made for action to tackle rat-running in a narrow
> residential road in Bath.
> People living in Greenway Lane, Bear Flat, have been concerned for
> years about the amount of traffic using it.
> They say they are living in constant fear that someone will be killed
> by speeding motorists who use the pavement as part of the road.
> Resident Jamie South, who says his seven-year-old son William was
> nearly hit by a car recently, said: "Something needs to be done
> urgently to stop motorists speeding down the road.
> "Cars use the pavements to get around each other and it shouldn't be
> allowed. My son was nearly run down because of cars driving along the
> pavement." "

See: <http://tinyurl.com/5dl6vw>

I know the area (to a limited extent). Greenway Lane is a useful route
from the cheap(ish) student accommodation around Bear Flat to the
University of Bath campus at Claverton Down. I'm sure it's useful for
other purposes too. I object to this churlish phrase "rat-running". The
road is a valuable through route of importance in the local network, not
a residential cul-de-sac. Alternatives are few and would be a longish
diversion via Combe Down (past even more people' houses, of course) or
through the crowded city centre and the permanently-congested A4/A36.

The real answer, of course, is not to obstruct it with parked vehicles.

On 20 Jun, 10:41, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashmewrote:
> > JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> You see what you did there?
> >> You agreed with what I posted.

> > This may help:-
> >http://tinyurl.com/3zu8mr
> > "Calls have been made for action to tackle rat-running in a narrow
> > residential road in Bath.
> > People living in Greenway Lane, Bear Flat, have been concerned for
> > years about the amount of traffic using it.
> > They say they are living in constant fear that someone will be killed
> > by speeding motorists who use the pavement as part of the road.
> > Resident Jamie South, who says his seven-year-old son William was
> > nearly hit by a car recently, said: "Something needs to be done
> > urgently to stop motorists speeding down the road.
> > "Cars use the pavements to get around each other and it shouldn't be
> > allowed. My son was nearly run down because of cars driving along the
> > pavement." "

> See: <http://tinyurl.com/5dl6vw>
>
> I know the area (to a limited extent). Greenway Lane is a useful route
> from the cheap(ish) student accommodation around Bear Flat to the
> University of Bath campus at Claverton Down. I'm sure it's useful for
> other purposes too. I object to this churlish phrase "rat-running". The
> road is a valuable through route of importance in the local network, not
> a residential cul-de-sac. Alternatives are few and would be a longish
> diversion via Combe Down (past even more people' houses, of course) or
> through the crowded city centre and the permanently-congested A4/A36.
>
> The real answer, of course, is not to obstruct it with parked vehicles.

I see. So that causes the driving on pavements. The locals only have
themselves to blame for being motorists with cars to park. If you
tried, you could probably defend pavement cyclists. How about "The
real answer, of course, is to make the roads safer, by motorists
changing their behaviour, and, of course, decreasing their overall
numbers"?

What about this one? Won't be the motorists fault, so who do we blame?

http://www.cumberland-news.co.uk/news/1.112473

"He said some motorists park on double yellow lines across the road
and risk running through four lanes of traffic to reach the parade. Co-
owner Kath Renucci added: “We’ve seen people getting hit by cars and
bouncing off the bonnets. And we’ve seen motorists driving down the
pavements.”Someone will probably end up getting killed in the end.”"

Squashme wrote:

> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Squashmewrote:

>>> This may help:-
>>> http://tinyurl.com/3zu8mr
>>> "Calls have been made for action to tackle rat-running in a narrow
>>> residential road in Bath.
>>> People living in Greenway Lane, Bear Flat, have been concerned for
>>> years about the amount of traffic using it.
>>> They say they are living in constant fear that someone will be killed
>>> by speeding motorists who use the pavement as part of the road.
>>> Resident Jamie South, who says his seven-year-old son William was
>>> nearly hit by a car recently, said: "Something needs to be done
>>> urgently to stop motorists speeding down the road.
>>> "Cars use the pavements to get around each other and it shouldn't be
>>> allowed. My son was nearly run down because of cars driving along the
>>> pavement." "

>> See: <http://tinyurl.com/5dl6vw>

>> I know the area (to a limited extent). Greenway Lane is a useful route
>> from the cheap(ish) student accommodation around Bear Flat to the
>> University of Bath campus at Claverton Down. I'm sure it's useful for
>> other purposes too. I object to this churlish phrase "rat-running". The
>> road is a valuable through route of importance in the local network, not
>> a residential cul-de-sac. Alternatives are few and would be a longish
>> diversion via Combe Down (past even more people' houses, of course) or
>> through the crowded city centre and the permanently-congested A4/A36.

>> The real answer, of course, is not to obstruct it with parked vehicles.

> I see. So that causes the driving on pavements.

It certainly does, in areas like that where the road is significantly
obstructed. Of course, you've missed the point. No-one has said that you
never see a car or van (nor even a lorry) on a footway. The proposition
is that they do not drive along footways at normal travelling speeds as
an alternative to using the carriageway. Even you must see that there
are occasions when mounting the footway (at comparatively low speed) is
the only option other than staying put until the obstruction is removed
- I haven't said otherwise. This is another apples and oranges game.

> The locals only have themselves to blame for being motorists with cars to park.

Parking is best off-road. Additionally, parking simply ought not to be
allowed where it will seriously obstruct free passage along the highway
(double-yellow lines - remember why we have them?). I believe that there
is a strong case for restricting motor vehicle keeping only to addresses
where there is off-street parking - or where the keeper has an off-plot
off-street space nearby which he actually uses).

Of course, many of the drivers bumping up onto the footway to get round
obstructions (and vehicles coming the other way in the narrower parts of
that road) will BE the very locals who are doing the complaining.
They're there more often than anyone else and their cars are just as
unable to fly over obstructions as anyone else's.

> If you tried, you could probably defend pavement cyclists.

If they are simply getting around an obstruction (and travelling at a
low speed nowhere near the speeds that they usually do on the footway),
I can do that in the twinkle of an eye. No problem whatever. I hope you
find that reassuring.

> How about "The
> real answer, of course, is to make the roads safer, by motorists
> changing their behaviour, and, of course, decreasing their overall
> numbers"?

???

> What about this one? Won't be the motorists fault, so who do we blame?

> http://www.cumberland-news.co.uk/news/1.112473

> "He said some motorists park on double yellow lines across the road
> and risk running through four lanes of traffic to reach the parade. Co-
> owner Kath Renucci added: “We’ve seen people getting hit by cars and
> bouncing off the bonnets. And we’ve seen motorists driving down the
> pavements.”Someone will probably end up getting killed in the end.”"

Parking on double yellow lines not the motorists' fault(s)?

It certainly is - it's illegal.

Did you SERIOUSLY think that I would defend it?

On 19 Jun, 08:26, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

> You *never* see a car being driven along a footway at normal travelling
> speed (let's not digress onto the subject of vehicles which are out of
> control - that's a different, if well-used, red herring).

http://tinyurl.com/6dz64t

"The three-year-old was killed when a trials bike driven by her
stepdad along a pavement hit a car emerging from a garage. She was
allegedly sitting on the petrol tank of the 110cc machine.

The bike's driver George Franklin, 22, was last night charged with
causing death by dangerous driving."

How normal was his speed, I wonder?

In news:[email protected],
JNugent <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

> Parking is best off-road. Additionally, parking simply ought not to be
> allowed where it will seriously obstruct free passage along the
> highway (double-yellow lines - remember why we have them?). I believe
> that there is a strong case for restricting motor vehicle keeping
> only to addresses where there is off-street parking - or where the
> keeper has an off-plot off-street space nearby which he actually
> uses).

So, would it be:

1. redevelop all those neighbourhoods which predate the widespread adoption
of the private car, or

2. confiscate the cars of all those who have the poor judgement to live in
such a neighbourhood?

In the vicinity of Larrington Towers there are probably fewer than ten older
properties[1] with off-street parking, plus a small number of council-owned
garages with a waiting list longer than that of the Morgan Motor Company.
Larrington Towers[2] itself does have access to the back garden through a
gate wide enough to accept a car (or it would do if I could be arsed to trim
the bush next to the gate), but it does not get used for parking, as:

a. it would rob me of 98% of the back garden, and
b. some **** would park in front of the gate

1 - the various Barratt Boxes and the assorted developments of flats are
different, since they date from the era when there used to be a requirement
for all new residential developments to have a certain number of parking
places per head of population (even if the building was a hostel for the
homeless). I believe that this requirement has now been rescinded.

2 - rebuilt c. 1947 after a visit from the Luftwaffe

--
Dave Larrington
There's a village in Texas that's missing its idiot.

On 20 Jun, 11:23, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashme wrote:
> > JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> See: <http://tinyurl.com/5dl6vw>
> >> I know the area (to a limited extent). Greenway Lane is a useful route
> >> from the cheap(ish) student accommodation around Bear Flat to the
> >> University of Bath campus at Claverton Down. I'm sure it's useful for
> >> other purposes too. I object to this churlish phrase "rat-running". The
> >> road is a valuable through route of importance in the local network, not
> >> a residential cul-de-sac. Alternatives are few and would be a longish
> >> diversion via Combe Down (past even more people' houses, of course) or
> >> through the crowded city centre and the permanently-congested A4/A36.
> >> The real answer, of course, is not to obstruct it with parked vehicles..

> > I see. So that causes the driving on pavements.

> It certainly does, in areas like that where the road is significantly
> obstructed. Of course, you've missed the point. No-one has said that you
> never see a car or van (nor even a lorry) on a footway. The proposition
> is that they do not drive along footways at normal travelling speeds as
> an alternative to using the carriageway. Even you must see that there
> are occasions when mounting the footway (at comparatively low speed) is
> the only option other than staying put until the obstruction is removed
> - I haven't said otherwise. This is another apples and oranges game.

> > The locals only have themselves to blame for being motorists with cars to park.

> Parking is best off-road. Additionally, parking simply ought not to be
> allowed where it will seriously obstruct free passage along the highway
> (double-yellow lines - remember why we have them?). I believe that there
> is a strong case for restricting motor vehicle keeping only to addresses
> where there is off-street parking - or where the keeper has an off-plot
> off-street space nearby which he actually uses).

Yes, cars were at their best when they were the preserve of the elite.
The proles have spoiled it.Too too many and the wrong sort of people
too. I believe that you have off-road parking.

> Of course, many of the drivers bumping up onto the footway to get round
> obstructions (and vehicles coming the other way in the narrower parts of
> that road) will BE the very locals who are doing the complaining.
> They're there more often than anyone else and their cars are just as
> unable to fly over obstructions as anyone else's.

Gosh, well they just have to do it, don't they? It's built into the
situation. TINA - there is no alternative. Resistance is useless.

> > If you tried, you could probably defend pavement cyclists.

> If they are simply getting around an obstruction (and travelling at a
> low speed nowhere near the speeds that they usually do on the footway),
> I can do that in the twinkle of an eye. No problem whatever. I hope you
> find that reassuring.

And if they ride on the pavement to ensure their safety in a busy
urban environment, or to avoid massive detours, because the road
system was designed to help motor vehicles and not cyclists? At
minimal risk or obstructon to pedestrians? Much like cars? Would that
be OK? (Not to me, I had better add).

> > How about "The
> > real answer, of course, is to make the roads safer, by motorists
> > changing their behaviour, and, of course, decreasing their overall
> > numbers"?

> ???

Trouble with that one? Does not compute, does not compute!!!

> > What about this one? Won't be the motorists fault, so who do we blame?
> >http://www.cumberland-news.co.uk/news/1.112473
> > "He said some motorists park on double yellow lines across the road
> > and risk running through four lanes of traffic to reach the parade. Co-
> > owner Kath Renucci added: “We’ve seen people getting hit by cars and
> > bouncing off the bonnets. And we’ve seen motorists driving down the
> > pavements.”Someone will probably end up getting killed in the end.”"

> Parking on double yellow lines not the motorists' fault(s)?
>
> It certainly is - it's illegal.
>
> Did you SERIOUSLY think that I would defend it?

No, but you seem to zero in on the double yellow lines as a get-out,
and ignore "people getting hit by cars and bouncing off the bonnets.
And we’ve seen motorists driving down the pavements." Blinkers on.
Which is the more dangerous, yellow lines or barging pedestrians?

See
http://tinyurl.com/578j5w

""But in this accident the child was reported to be walking on the
pavement, not dashing out in front of a car. It is a great concern.""

How you going to excuse that one? I expect that you'd go for the "I
doubt that the child was on the pavement" gambit.

On 20 Jun, 11:45, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Innews:[email protected],
> JNugent <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
>
> > Parking is best off-road. Additionally, parking simply ought not to be
> > allowed where it will seriously obstruct free passage along the
> > highway (double-yellow lines - remember why we have them?). I believe
> > that there is a strong case for restricting motor vehicle keeping
> > only to addresses where there is off-street parking - or where the
> > keeper has an off-plot off-street space nearby which he actually
> > uses).

> So, would it be:
>
> 1. redevelop all those neighbourhoods which predate the widespread adoption
> of the private car, or
>
> 2. confiscate the cars of all those who have the poor judgement to live in
> such a neighbourhood?
>
> In the vicinity of Larrington Towers there are probably fewer than ten older
> properties[1] with off-street parking, plus a small number of council-owned
> garages with a waiting list longer than that of the Morgan Motor Company.
> Larrington Towers[2] itself does have access to the back garden through a
> gate wide enough to accept a car (or it would do if I could be arsed to trim
> the bush next to the gate), but it does not get used for parking, as:
>
> a. it would rob me of 98% of the back garden, and
> b. some **** would park in front of the gate
>
> 1 - the various Barratt Boxes and the assorted developments of flats are
> different, since they date from the era when there used to be a requirement
> for all new residential developments to have a certain number of parking
> places per head of population (even if the building was a hostel for the
> homeless). I believe that this requirement has now been rescinded.
>
> 2 - rebuilt c. 1947 after a visit from the Luftwaffe

Do you know, I have this strange suspicion that Mr Nugent and the real
world may not be as close neighbours, as I once thought?

On 20 Jun, 09:30, Colin McKenzie <[email protected]> wrote:
> JNugent wrote:
> > But I do know the relevant fact. The fact is that one pedestrian injured
> > or killed on a footway where they should be completely safe from traffic
> > is one too many.

> > If you don't agree, please say so explicitly.

> > So you don't mind if a few pedestrians are killed unnecessarily by
> > footway cyclists?

> At the point where the mumber of pedestrians killed on the footway by
> motor vehicles drops to (let's say) ten times the number killed by
> cyclists, you might have a case. Until then, given finite police time,
> the priority should be the greater danger.
>
> There is something obscene about police spending time fining pavement
> cyclists while bad and illegal driving kills thousands of people a year.

Mr Nugent believes that this sort of thing is an unfortunate accident,
and should not be mentioned in the same breath as pavement cycling:-

"POLICE are taking on speeding motorists in Upper Stratton with
memories of Tyrese Hannah's tragic death uppermost in their minds.

From this week, police will be focusing speed checks on Ermin Street
and Headlands Grove, both 30 mile an hour roads, and eventually other
roads in the area where they believe drivers continually abuse the
law.

Seven-year-old Tyrese was killed in March when a car hit him on Drove
Road as he was walking on the pavement with his dog Odi and his mum
Caroline.

Upper Stratton beat officer, PC Lisa Tucker, said: "We just don't want
an incident like Drove Road to happen again or for any other families
to go through that and it's also ruined the driver's life.

"Some of the speeds people are doing down these roads, it's possibly a
matter of time before something could happen - that's why we're out
here policing it."

http://www.adver.co.uk/display.var.2313691.0.police_crackdown_on_speeding_drivers.php