Does the helmet rule cause more crashes in the Tour?

Ronde Champ

Guest
Hey,

Everybody can see that crashes are up this year. 99 riders
have crashed at least once by stage 7. The Tour de France
in 2004 will quite possibly have the most crashes since
they used to use those handlebar attachments about 6 years
back. There is speculation the UCI requirement of all
riders must now wear crash helmets in the races has given
them a false sense of security. The cyclists now think that
because they have increased protection against head injury,
that they can increase the chances they are taking.

Thanks, Ronde Champ

The poor weather may have something to do with the crashes
too, but the helmet skeptics on rec.bicycles.misc have been
arguing the risk compensation factor for years.

news:<[email protected]>...

Ronde Champ wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Everybody can see that crashes are up this year. 99
> riders have crashed at least once by stage 7. The Tour de
> France in 2004 will quite possibly have the most crashes
> since they used to use those handlebar attachments about
> 6 years back. There is speculation the UCI requirement of
> all riders must now wear crash helmets in the races has
> given them a false sense of security. The cyclists now
> think that because they have increased protection against
> head injury, that they can increase the chances they are
> taking.

Gee, this was so well done, I thought it a shame it had
no replies.

Dan

[email protected] (Ronde Champ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hey,
>
> Everybody can see that crashes are up this year. 99
> riders have crashed at least once by stage 7. The Tour de
> France in 2004 will quite possibly have the most crashes
> since they used to use those handlebar attachments about
> 6 years back. There is speculation the UCI requirement of
> all riders must now wear crash helmets in the races has
> given them a false sense of security. The cyclists now
> think that because they have increased protection against
> head injury, that they can increase the chances they are
> taking.
>
> Thanks, Ronde Champ

Thanks for clearing this up dumbass. I thought it was the
road furniture and rain.

"JFJones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The poor weather may have something to do with the crashes
> too, but the helmet skeptics on rec.bicycles.misc have
> been arguing the risk compensation factor for years.
>
> [email protected] (Ronde Champ) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hey,
> >
> > Everybody can see that crashes are up this year. 99
> > riders have crashed at least once by stage 7. The Tour
> > de France in 2004 will quite possibly have the most
> > crashes since they used to use those handlebar
> > attachments about 6 years back. There is speculation
> > the UCI requirement of all riders must now wear crash
> > helmets in the races has given them a false sense of
> > security. The cyclists now think that because they have
> > increased protection against head injury, that they can
> > increase the chances they are taking.
> >
> > Thanks, Ronde Champ

Maybe they should go back to the Penny Farthing, these so
called "safety bicycles" are just way too dangerous. And
those pneumatic tyres, really, what was Mr Dunlop thinking
when he created those monstrosities. You can't tell me they
don't create dangerous cycling though a false "sense of
security".

Marty

"Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "JFJones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > The poor weather may have something to do with the
> > crashes too, but the helmet skeptics on
> > rec.bicycles.misc have been arguing the risk
> > compensation factor for years.
> >
> > [email protected] (Ronde Champ) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > Everybody can see that crashes are up this year. 99
> > > riders have crashed at least once by stage 7. The
> > > Tour de France in 2004 will quite possibly have the
> > > most crashes since they used to use those handlebar
> > > attachments about 6 years back. There is speculation
> > > the UCI requirement of all riders must now wear crash
> > > helmets in the races has given them a false sense of
> > > security. The cyclists now think that because they
> > > have increased protection against head injury, that
> > > they can increase the chances they are taking.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Ronde Champ
>
> Maybe they should go back to the Penny Farthing, these so
> called "safety bicycles" are just way too dangerous. And
> those pneumatic tyres, really, what was Mr Dunlop thinking
> when he created those monstrosities. You can't tell me
> they don't create dangerous cycling though a false "sense
> of security".
>
> Marty

Actually it started when the gladiators put on metal
chest plates.