Does the lower body equal the upper?

Goosedog

Jan 29, 2006
In order to stay in shape for the motocross bikes I ride, I've recently updated my workout routine to include roadcycling. So now I'm working out my upper body three days a week with weights and pedaling 15 to 20 mi. on my roadbike the alternate days to condition my legs and lungs.

Here's my question; Does this routine do enough strength training for my legs? I don't actually do any leg weights during my lifting workout, thinking the pedaling will do that for me. I've heard cross-trainers say you have to do leg weights along with upper body wether you run/pedal or not to build strength in your legs.

Goosedog said:
In order to stay in shape for the motocross bikes I ride, I've recently updated my workout routine to include roadcycling. So now I'm working out my upper body three days a week with weights and pedaling 15 to 20 mi. on my roadbike the alternate days to condition my legs and lungs.

Here's my question; Does this routine do enough strength training for my legs? I don't actually do any leg weights during my lifting workout, thinking the pedaling will do that for me. I've heard cross-trainers say you have to do leg weights along with upper body wether you run/pedal or not to build strength in your legs.
Traditional cycling won't really build strength for most people. Weights would be the better choice for leg strengthening, but I assume there are benefits to greater aerobic conditioning during motorcross races. A hybrid of cycling/leg weights would be a good compromise for your specific goals.