Does this happen to anyone else: Winter gear

Feanor

Jul 21, 2003
I just thought this was an odd and rather positive phenomena about arm and leg warmers, and wanted to see if it was just something generally known to the experienced cycling community that I was missing, or if its somemind trick I'm playing on myself...

I'm wearing arm and leg warmers for the first time since I started road cycling (not that long ago). Previously I would either wear normal summer kit and cycle in the winter months on days when it was not too cold (California winters are very mild) or train indoors.

But though the rollers and trainer are great on rainy days... I'm finding its alot more engaging to head out onto the road even at night when its very chilly out. In fact, with work, the only real times I can cycle during the middle of the week are in the cold and dead of night, and summer kit doesn't cut it then :)

What I noticed though is that with the leg warmers on (which, before I started road cycling I thought were really silly looking and not to be caught dead in :) ) There is a mild "masaaging" effect which tends to distract, on some days significantly, from the fatigue I feel in my legs...

The pain, and burning is still of course there, but the sensation of whatever happens with your legs while you cycle with the warmers on seems enough to push the threshold of discomfort "farther away" Does anyone else experience this? In a sense its like like when you run with a partner and talk while running... You just seem to be able to go longer...

...About cycling at night in the winter, one thing that I find amusing is that walkers and generally people who are out at night give me "approving" maybe even admiring nods as I pass, as if they are thinking "this guys a serious cyclist" when in fact I would respond only with "Hey, I suck at cycling, and this is the only danged time I can find to ride this thing!!!" *laughing*

For an extra massage effect you can try "Shear Energy" pantyhose - I read that several big names, including Olympic champions, use them for the same reason you site the leg warmers. They look too weird with hairy legs unless you wear them under your tights or legwarmers, but if you shave, no one will notice unless you get a run. Also they accentuate my calf muscles. YMMV.

Originally posted by DiabloScott
For an extra massage effect you can try "Shear Energy" pantyhose - I read that several big names, including Olympic champions, use them for the same reason you site the leg warmers. They look too weird with hairy legs unless you wear them under your tights or legwarmers, but if you shave, no one will notice unless you get a run. Also they accentuate my calf muscles. YMMV.

LoL! Are you kidding Scott? Is that true?

Originally posted by Feanor
LoL! Are you kidding Scott? Is that true?

He is correct. Living up here in the Great White North, I also wear them under my cycling pants. Figured I shaved, why not the pantyhose. Not like I'm wearing make-up. They do keep me warmer....

Memph

I recently did a 4 day Xmas charity fundraising ride over 450km. On the afternoon leg on the third day there was quite a cool breeze and I found it hard to get my legs going, especially knees and calf muscles. After putting up with this for a couple of hours, I put on my long Puma tights. It made a huge difference to comfort and wormth in my legs and I had no trouble getting them going.

I often wear long tights in winter for cycling and rowing. They increase the comfort level significantly. I've even had the experience of road riding in blizzard conditions and a thick pair of Adidas tights kept me comfy that time.

I've not tried the cycling leg warmers. I recently won a pair and have only tried them on for fit. The only concern I had was they seem a bit tight around the thighs and I wondered whether they might have an effect on circulation.

My conclusion - leg warmers/long tights are a godsend for extending your outdoor cycling into the cold winter months.

Rule one , keep warm
rule two , ditto
rule three , ditto etc .

Don´t worry what people think : they don´t care .

Ha! - you guys are talking "winter gear"
I just did 3 hours riding in 4-5 dgr. C with continious rain and windspeeds at more than 10m/sec. In Denmark where I live you will need 3 layer trousers and jackets with windstopper - most of the year! So arm/legs warmers are standard - sometimes even in summer ;)
Have Fun!