Does this Rear Wheel exist?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Vaderico, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Vaderico

Vaderico New Member

I'm looking for a very specific wheel.
    I ride a Singlespeed / Fixie at the moment and am looking to upgrade it to a 5 speed internal gear hub.

However there is a specific criteria I am after;
    There are three things I am looking for, but am unsure where to start looking:

1 - Have a disc brake on the hub

2 - Be a deep dish style rim, sized 700c

3 - Coloured Black

I am not too fussed which make of internal geared hub to buy, whichever one fits the criteria I am willing to buy.
    Also If a hub can meet these requirements that has a slightly different amount of gears, then I wouldn't mind too much

If someone has the experience / knowledge to lend me a hand, I would be forever grateful.

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Shimano's internally geared ALFINE (?) hub has a disc brake rotor option, BUT it requires a frame with 135mm rear spacing ...

If you have a steel frame, then it can be re-spaced ...

BUT, if it is a Track frame, then the stays may-or-may-not be a lot more robust than on a steel Road frame ... so, re*spacing could be problematic ...

Aluminum & CF frames cannot be respaced ...

Bianchi makes a SS MTB frame ...

I think that SALSA makes a SS 29er frame ...

In other words, if you want to use a 135mm O.L.D hub, you probably will want to consider another frame UNLESS your frame already happens to be non-SS frame.

There are internally geared hubs which have (internal) coaster brakes whose spacing will fit in 120mm wide dropouts.

BTW. If you think about it, the rotor mount + Rotor + gap would probably necessitate at least an additional 8mm of width beyond the non-driveside of a rear hub, so the narrowest hub would be in the 126mm range if it existed OR if you had a machinist cobble some sort of shell for a hub's internal mechanism.

Deep dish rim on an internally geared hub? You'll have to have one custom laced to whatever hub you find & deem to be suitable for your frame.

Black?

Powder Coat or Paint it.

In other words, what you are specifically looking for, AFAIK, does not exist.