Can it work using a standard front double road crank (53x39) and an XT/XTR Rear Der. with a wide MTB cassette, like a 12x32. I would try this on an 8sp drivetrain downtube shifter bike. Will the RD take up enough slack from the longish chain needed for this?
"RS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Can it work using a standard front double road crank (53x39) and an XT/XTR Rear Der. with a wide MTB cassette, like a 12x32. I would try this on an 8sp drivetrain downtube shifter bike. Will the RD take up enough slack from the longish chain needed for this?
Yes, it'll be fine. Think of it this way : the 14t difference in the front is less than the 20t or 22t difference bewteen the big and small chainrings the rear mech is designed for.
"RS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Can it work using a standard front double road crank (53x39) and an XT/XTR Rear Der. with a wide MTB cassette, like a 12x32. I would try this on an 8sp drivetrain downtube shifter bike. Will the RD take up enough slack from the longish chain needed for this?
Yes, it'll be fine. Think of it this way : the 14t difference in the front is less than the 20t or 22t difference bewteen the big and small chainrings the rear mech is designed for.
cheers, clive
Won't there be a problem with a 29 tooth chainring and a 130mm dia bolt circle? I believe 38 is about as small as you can go with 130mm bolt circle. Right?
"cal" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Clive George said:
"RS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Can it work using a standard front double road crank (53x39) and an XT/XTR Rear Der. with a wide MTB cassette, like a 12x32. I would try this on an 8sp drivetrain downtube shifter bike. Will the RD take up enough slack from the longish chain needed for this?
Yes, it'll be fine. Think of it this way : the 14t difference in the front is less than the 20t or 22t difference bewteen the big and small chainrings the rear mech is designed for.
Won't there be a problem with a 29 tooth chainring and a 130mm dia bolt circle? I believe 38 is about as small as you can go with 130mm bolt circle. Right?
Indeed. Fortunately the OP is talking about using a 39t chainring, as can be seen in the quoted text, so everything will be ok.
In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:
Clive George said:
"RS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Can it work using a standard front double road crank (53x39) and an XT/XTR Rear Der. with a wide MTB cassette, like a 12x32. I would try this on an 8sp drivetrain downtube shifter bike. Will the RD take up enough slack from the longish chain needed for this?
Yes, it'll be fine. Think of it this way : the 14t difference in the front is less than the 20t or 22t difference bewteen the big and small chainrings the rear mech is designed for.
cheers, clive
Won't there be a problem with a 29 tooth chainring and a 130mm dia bolt circle? I believe 38 is about as small as you can go with 130mm bolt circle. Right?
Cal
I meant THIRTY-NINE, not 29 . . stupid typo at the wrong time.