Does Vancouver have a good road and XC race scene?

dorkpants

Nov 10, 2003
Could be making the move from Sydney, Australia to Vancouver some point in the future and was just wondering.... is there an active racing community for XC MTB and road in Vancouver?

Also, is Vancouver a good place to for training? How much does the winter rain and snow affect year round riding. I would take a 2 or 3 month break from the bike during the middle of winter, but would still like to keep fit outdoors.

I'm a little worried that I am going to seriously miss the reliable Sydney weather and dusty MTB racing that I have come to love so much... I have been to Van. a couple of times, but not for long and just travelling. Anyone with any insight or some direction?

Road racing yes, cross country not sure. Most of the mountain bikers I know seem to be into downhill.

As for the winter snow seldom happens in Vancouver, maybe 2-3 days a year. Rain is a different story. From Nov to March it rains quite a lot. Temperature in the winter is usually 5-10 celsius so as long as you can stay warm the wet isn't a problem. Get an older bike, add some fenders and go for it.