Your Bloody Soap Box · Public discussion

Does World War Three Approach

Started by Carrera · · Last activity · 256 posts · 15,308 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Your Bloody Soap Box
Published
13 July 2006
Last activity
4 August 2006
Original author
Carrera
Posts
256
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
15,308
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 201–220 of 256
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Carrera said:


    "I'm not being "taught" by anyone Crappy. I am simply reading multiple news sources and apparently independant accounts."

    You virtually never apply a sense of balance to your arguments. You don't

    In many cases I am responding to your very one-sided posts, so it follows that my posts tend to be rather focussed.

    Carrera said:


    ever compare the invasion of Kuwait and the gassing of Kurds with, say, Israeli or American military intervention.

    It makes little sense to make such comparisons. Killing people is wrong and making excuses for killing people is intolerable as far as I am concerned.

    Carrera said:


    There 's no equilibrium or rational sense of proportion here.

    Indeed, killing is irrational. It is a terrible waste of resources. For example the IDF have wiped out 6 years of rebuilding and reconcilliation in Lebanon in just two weeks.

    Carrera said:


    I feel sure you'd be having a field day if Israel had used toxic gas as Saddam did.

    Oddly enough there are reports of autopsies revealing just that, but I haven't seen any that are strong enough for me to present them.

    Carrera said:


    I'm sure you'd be in your element digging for information on Google if what was going on in Iran were taking place in Israel.

    It does not really matter what anyone else does. The fact is that Israel is *doing* all this stuff, on a massive scale, and it is fundamentally wrong. Other countries are pursuing the same policies (eg: Turkey, Kosovo, Somalia) and they are wrong too. Germany did that stuff in the 30s/40s, they were wrong and the Nuremburg Tribunals established the foundations of a framework by which such gross abuses of power are judged. No one is exempt from judgement, although they may well be exempt from punishment.

  2. willocrew said:


    Having said all that, even if Israel are on the side of being trigger happy, i think we must think about the civilians especially the children.

    Children are our future, and these middle east kids are being brought up in hostile environment that sees no end. They do not have dads teaching them how to ride their first bike. Instead they areexposed and desensitized to death and human mortality at a very young age. Human life has very little value in that part of the world.

    Aye... Which is why I am so keen on unconditional ceasefires. That is the first step towards achieving some kind of normality and basic human decency.

    willocrew said:


    There is little we can do about the people in the middleeast, seeing as we're all so disconnected from it all.

    I disagree. At the very least we can raise awareness and try to exert some kind of pressure via public opinion.

    willocrew said:


    But what we can do, is to extend understanding towards the middleeastern community in our respective hometowns.

    Amen. To achieve that we also need to be brutally honest. For example those bombs that flattened Qana could well have come from the US via the UK. I know for a fact that the UK government is bound by law not to supply weapons that are being used on Civillians. 🙁

  3. I'm hoping that point is a good one and obvious to anyone following this. It seems to me that Darkboong claims he hates violence and wants peace but his posts tell a different story.
    The thing is, myself I have some understanding of other issues that have to do with disputed land, borders, religious conflict e.t.c. I mean, I lived in countries such as Estonia where the Russian population doesn't have the same rights as Estonians and suffer discrimination.
    This is a subtle point, but darboong doesn't bother to draw any comparisons between Israel's particular situation in relation to other geo-political bones of contention.
    What you get from Darkboong is this idea that Israel is uniquely in breach of international law, intolerant, war-mongering e.t.c. He offers a one sided perspective and seems to have done no research in any other area.
    When has Darkboong ever posted criticizing Iran. for example or ranted over the gassing of the Kurds?

    Jupiler said:

    Those christian-slaying Iranians just banned the Da Vinci code book because it's insulting to Christians 🙄
    news.bbc.co.uk5216490.stm

    English is not my first language, but I seem to comprehend it a lot better then you do. Darkboong has stated many times that he hates violence and aggression committed by all sides. So why do you keep mentionning other athrocities as if he condones them... With that fuhrer comment you just hit a new low....

  4. Personally I don't think even the most radical neo-Con is going to look at images of carnage and not feel shocked and shaken. For what it's worth, I agree the IDF could have handled the situation better.
    Allow me to make just one point, though:
    Firstly, this kind of thing has happened repeatedly in Iraq when convoys of civilians were hit by U.S. planes. I don't know why it is civilians are so frequently hit by aerial bombing. I mean, even the Chinese Embassy of Belgrade was bombed and then we had this ongoing debate as to whether the Embassy had been hit deliberately.
    At any rate, I hate to say it but this situation looks serious. If the Israelis do nothing, the suicide bombings will go on. If they take firm action, the situation will still continue to worsen. It's a catch 22.

    willocrew said:

    Having said all that, even if Israel are on the side of being trigger happy, i think we must think about the civilians especially the children.

    Children are our future, and these middle east kids are being brought up in hostile environment that sees no end. They do not have dads teaching them how to ride their first bike. Instead they areexposed and desensitized to death and human mortality at a very young age. Human life has very little value in that part of the world.

    There is little we can do about the people in the middleeast, seeing as we're all so disconnected from it all.

    But what we can do, is to extend understanding towards the middleeastern community in our respective hometowns.

  5. Carrera said:


    I'm hoping that point is a good one and obvious to anyone following this. It seems to me that Darkboong claims he hates violence and wants peace but his posts tell a different story.

    To support that argument you have to produce a quote from one of my posts where I advocate violence. You have not produced a single quote to support your assertion so far.

    Carrera said:


    What you get from Darkboong is this idea that Israel is uniquely in breach of international law, intolerant, war-mongering e.t.c.

    Whoa there... I wrote this today :

    darkboong said:


    It does not really matter what anyone else does. The fact is that Israel is *doing* all this stuff, on a massive scale, and it is fundamentally wrong. Other countries are pursuing the same policies (eg: Turkey, Kosovo, Somalia) and they are wrong too.

    Quite clearly I do not entertain the idea that Israel is "uniquely in breach of international law".

    Also, with all due respect Crappy, I have pointed out in previous posts that NATO were doing the same [censored] in Yugoslavia... Ignore what I write and lie at your peril, by doing so you are devaluing your word, which is one of the most important assets you have in any society.

    darkboong said:


    He offers a one sided perspective and seems to have done no research in any other area.

    Weird, because I have produced numerous stats over the months and provided plenty of sourced references to attacks from all sides. If Israel has caused the majority of damage then balanced assessments and statistics will reflect that. If you have stats & reports that you feel show a more balanced picture you are free, and indeed encouraged to post them.

    darkboong said:


    When has Darkboong ever posted criticizing Iran. for example or ranted over the gassing of the Kurds?

    This week (amongst others), and for what it's worth I also protested over Halabja at the time. You may recall that the CIA claimed that Iran carried out that attack, we called [censored]. Lo and behold when GWB wants to invade Iraq the US admits that they provided the weaponry to Saddam AND did the planning for him.

  6. "I *do* have a beef with that Crappy. But it is history, it is not happening now."

    I think from your perspective it seems to be history dead and buried and conveniently forgotten. What I haven't ever seen is any comparisons drawn between, say, Gaza and Chechnya or any lamentation over the Aboriginees of Australia e.t.c. .e.t.c. I see no evidence of research into human rights as a whole - merely vast amounts of data churned out about how Israel is uniquely a war-mongering, despotic, racist State. If you ever posted any "thread" criticizing Saudi Arabia or Japan, let me see that thread and I'll publically apologise to you.

    "and Israel does not recognise their property ownership within the occupied territories..."

    I hate to be so stubborn but again, (comparisons and balance) - what about Russian citizens in Latvia who lack the same rights and don't carry passports? You seem to be digging up anything negative you can find in Israel to prove this theory that it's uniquely bad and unjust. Yet what you describe to me takes place in many other ethnically diverse societies on the basis of shared history and culture. And you ignore religious repression in Iran, the public hangings, amputations, imprisonments and lack of freedom.

    "200 is well short of the 2 million Palestinians killed and displaced by Israel, and that figure appears to be drawn from pre-2000 so it's past history."

    No mention made of the displacement of Jews throughout history, though. Why were millions of Jews scattered around the globe in the first place? How's about the invasions by Arab countries and ethnic cleansing of Jews from the times of Babylonian exile and onwards.

    "In fact at one point you were excusing Russian violence against Chechyens while I was condemning it... A search of this forum will give the lie to your accusation."

    I don't doubt you're against the Chechnyan war but you haven't bothered to inform yourself of such situations. I hate to say it and I know it sounds offensive but I think had the Russians been IDF troops you'd be already an expert on the conflict.

    darkboong said:

    That is not how I choose to describe Israel's mentality, but for some definitions of Fascist it would fit...

    I *do* have a beef with that Crappy. But it is history, it is not happening now.

    To be honest I don't particularly care how massacres are carried out. The fact that they are happen at all bothers me.

    I am an Atheist... The question is pretty much irrelevent.

    You keep making these allegations but you have not provided one shred of evidence to support them. Until you provide evidence your argument is worth absolutely no more than your word. Your word has no credibility because you have been shown to be wrong so often.

    They specifically rejected atheists, pacifists and they *really* hated people who stuck up for ethnic minorities. My Grandfather served with Army Intelligence in Germany in the 30s, and he even served with SoE in during the war. He told me plenty about it, on the strength of what he told me I can assure you that I would have been a very poor fit for the [censored] Youth.

    "Show me some evidence *with* sources to back up your assertion."

    So why didn't you provide evidence in the first place ?

    200 is well short of the 2 million Palestinians killed and displaced by Israel, and that figure appears to be drawn from pre-2000 so it's past history. Israel is killing over 200 Palestinians a month at this very minute, and over 40% of Palestinians have been imprisoned at some point in their lives... Almost all Palestinians are refugees (ie: had they property expropriated, and Israel does not recognise their property ownership within the occupied territories). The accusations of denial of access to education, expropriation of property and the like bothers me, but the article doesn't provide any specific cases to back up it's accusations or give the reader any kind of picture of the scope and dates involved. You need to do much more digging I am afraid.

    "and what's more Israel has invaded a neighbouring country..."

    I have specifically condemned all of those acts (except Estonia/Latvia) without reservation a search of this forum will show that. In fact at one point you were excusing Russian violence against Chechyens while I was condemning it... A search of this forum will give the lie to your accusation.

    "I am sure you will quote the IDF claims that the civies are being used as Human shields, yet I see reporters (even on Sky news ffs) saying that there was absolutely no evidence of *any* rockets beign fired from Qana, and that the civvies tried to evacuate but were attacked whenever they tried to leave."

    All that tells us is that you are an idiot. Generally it's safer to stay put when Apaches are firing Hellfire AGM's at anything that moves. It is certainly *not* a good idea to break cover when the ground around the site is being shelled and bombed from the air. Each one of those 155mm shells has a 50m kill zone and a 370m wounding zone. Just to make life really interesting the IDF is dropping Cluster munitions and AP mines on those villages too. There are plenty of accounts of the IDF attacking convoys and killing people escaping those villages.

    Odd, I can't see any of the buildings they attacked in that footage. I suspect that it has been misrepresented, like the old loading-rockets into the ambulance footage that the IDF posted to justify it's attacks on Ambulances and Hospitals some months ago. Israel's UN Ambassador announced that the footage that would be released was of a town "like Qana", but not Qana itself. For all we know it could be an IDF firing position, do you accept the word of a murderer without question ?

    If you believe the IDF, but I have shown that they have been caught telling big fat lies in that regard. Either way they are attacking civillians with inherently indiscriminate weapons, and the casualty figures reflect that. There does not appear to be any evidence that the IDF is trying to minimise civillian casualties.

    Firing cluster munitions into villages, systematically attacking refugee convoys, and attacking ambulances with Hellfire missiles goes beyond negligence, they are attacking civillian targets as a matter of policy. They have said as much, they say they know civillians are there, they attack with indiscriminate weapons that *will* kill the civillians anyway. All the evidence, including their own words indicate that they don't give a stuff about civillians. Handing out commiserations after killing a bunch of civillians, but going on to do exactly the same thing again in the very same day doesn't strike me as being very sincere. I do not trust the word of cold-blooded murderers, they don't value life, they sure as hell won't mean any apology they make.

    You can not legitimately claim that something is unintended when you know full well it is going to happen before you carry out the act. 🙁

  7. "It does not really matter what anyone else does. The fact is that Israel is *doing* all this stuff, on a massive scale, and it is fundamentally wrong. Other countries are pursuing the same policies (eg: Turkey, Kosovo, Somalia) and they are wrong too."

    Good! That's a positive start and that's what I was looking for. YIPEEE!
    So, I apologise on this occasion. The point you make above is what I would call more balanced and seems to be a change in direction. Here you are addressing the issue of war and injustice but targeting more countries than just Israel.
    As for me, I'm not beyond criticizing Israel either. That is, if a U.S. or Israeli pilot knowingly bombs civilians, the person concerned has committed a war crime and should be held to account.
    All in all, what I've been trying to get across is that all nationalities are capable of good and evil and that comparisons need to be drawn between various situations on a global level. I doubt there is any such thing as one side being totally right and the other side being totally wrong. The truth is usually to be found somewhere in the middle.

    darkboong said:

    To support that argument you have to produce a quote from one of my posts where I advocate violence. You have not produced a single quote to support your assertion so far.

    Whoa there... I wrote this today :

    Quite clearly I do not entertain the idea that Israel is "uniquely in breach of international law".

    Also, with all due respect Crappy, I have pointed out in previous posts that NATO were doing the same [censored] in Yugoslavia... Ignore what I write and lie at your peril, by doing so you are devaluing your word, which is one of the most important assets you have in any society.

    Weird, because I have produced numerous stats over the months and provided plenty of sourced references to attacks from all sides. If Israel has caused the majority of damage then balanced assessments and statistics will reflect that. If you have stats & reports that you feel show a more balanced picture you are free, and indeed encouraged to post them.

    This week (amongst others), and for what it's worth I also protested over Halabja at the time. You may recall that the CIA claimed that Iran carried out that attack, we called [censored]. Lo and behold when GWB wants to invade Iraq the US admits that they provided the weaponry to Saddam AND did the planning for him.

  8. "Also, with all due respect Crappy, I have pointed out in previous posts that NATO were doing the same [censored] in Yugoslavia... Ignore what I write and lie at your peril, by doing so you are devaluing your word, which is one of the most important assets you have in any society."

    Point taken. 😉 Again, I probably came on a bit strong over this point. Perhaps there are times I somehow get my wires crossed over my perception of your case.
    The problem is, I just don't see how there is going to be peace in the Middle East and I guess religion is to blame for the seming lack of compromise on every side.

    darkboong said:

    To support that argument you have to produce a quote from one of my posts where I advocate violence. You have not produced a single quote to support your assertion so far.

    Whoa there... I wrote this today :

    Quite clearly I do not entertain the idea that Israel is "uniquely in breach of international law".

    Also, with all due respect Crappy, I have pointed out in previous posts that NATO were doing the same [censored] in Yugoslavia... Ignore what I write and lie at your peril, by doing so you are devaluing your word, which is one of the most important assets you have in any society.

    Weird, because I have produced numerous stats over the months and provided plenty of sourced references to attacks from all sides. If Israel has caused the majority of damage then balanced assessments and statistics will reflect that. If you have stats & reports that you feel show a more balanced picture you are free, and indeed encouraged to post them.

    This week (amongst others), and for what it's worth I also protested over Halabja at the time. You may recall that the CIA claimed that Iran carried out that attack, we called [censored]. Lo and behold when GWB wants to invade Iraq the US admits that they provided the weaponry to Saddam AND did the planning for him.

  9. Carrera said:


    "I *do* have a beef with that Crappy. But it is history, it is not happening now."

    I see no evidence of research into human rights as a whole - merely vast amounts of data churned out about how Israel is uniquely a war-mongering, despotic, racist State.

    That must be because you choose ignore everything else I say Crappy.

    Carrera said:


    If you ever posted any "thread" criticizing Saudi Arabia or Japan, let me see that thread and I'll publically apologise to you.

    Hmm, I have, not here though. It's your point though, so it is up to you to prove that I have never criticised any other country. This thread already provides evidence to the contrary.

    Carrera said:


    "and Israel does not recognise their property ownership within the occupied territories..."

    I hate to be so stubborn but again, (comparisons and balance) - what about Russian citizens in Latvia who lack the same rights and don't carry passports?

    What about them ? Surely that's wrong too.

    Carrera said:


    You seem to be digging up anything negative you can find in Israel to prove this theory that it's uniquely bad and unjust.

    I don't have any such theory (or Hypothesis) to prove Crappy. As I have already pointed out, I have acknowledged these same crimes going on in other countries. For that reason you have no reason to make the claim that I am trying to prove that Israel is "uniquely bad and unjust".

    Carrera said:


    Yet what you describe to me takes place in many other ethnically diverse societies on the basis of shared history and culture. And you ignore religious repression in Iran, the public hangings, amputations, imprisonments and lack of freedom.

    You seem obssessed with Iran, what about the extra-judicial killings in Israel ?

    Carrera said:


    "200 is well short of the 2 million Palestinians killed and displaced by Israel, and that figure appears to be drawn from pre-2000 so it's past history."

    No mention made of the displacement of Jews throughout history, though.

    Indeed, because I am talking what is going on in 2006. What is past is past, there is nothing we can do about it.

    Carrera said:


    Why were millions of Jews scattered around the globe in the first place? How's about the invasions by Arab countries and ethnic cleansing of Jews from the times of Babylonian exile and onwards.

    Not *all* jews were "scattered" around the Globe, some of them remained in Palestine.

    Carrera said:


    "In fact at one point you were excusing Russian violence against Chechyens while I was condemning it... A search of this forum will give the lie to your accusation."

    I don't doubt you're against the Chechnyan war but you haven't bothered to inform yourself of such situations.

    Prove it.

    Carrera said:


    I hate to say it and I know it sounds offensive but I think had the Russians been IDF troops you'd be already an expert on the conflict.

    Doubtful. The reason why I follow the situation so closely is that Lawrence of Arabia was a childhood hero of mine. After reading the Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E.Lawrence (aka Lawrence of Arabia), learning about Arab nationalism on the way, I started paying attention to the situation in Lebanon (this was the late 70s and 80s).

    There were other influences too. My grandfather (the SoE guy) served the Foreign Office during the 50s through to the 70s, he served in a number of Muslim countries including Iraq, Oman and Indonesia. I was fascinated by the cine films that my Grandmother took in the area, the stories that they told (Mum also has a few stories of Baghdad in the 50s). A cousin studied Arabic and spent some time with the Marsh Arabs in Southern Iraq (sometime before Saddam's onslaught on the region). I remember being fascinated the pictures of their reed-boats and how they seemingly used the Adze for just about every task !

    That said I don't immerse myself in Arab culture by any stretch of the imagination, but I do watch what is going on there with an eagle eye. It is important to all of us here in the UK, because so much of our lives is dependent on Middle Eastern Oil.

  10. "What is past is past, there is nothing we can do about it."

    That's basically an over-simplification of the situation, though. Of course, history matters.
    The reason I defend Israel has much to do with my perusal of ancient history and, I guess, a common sense awareness that you can't logically cut whole races of people off from their roots, without creating tensions. I mean, black African Americans have had a tough enough time after they were taken as slaves from Africa - it's a common theme. I think this may well explain why Muhammad Ali always understood the Jewish side to this question.
    As I said before, we have excavations within Israel that go all the way back to 850 B.C., the script being either Hebrew or Aramaic. There is pottery, coinage and all sorts of stuff.
    No matter how much you might dismiss this point I make about ancient history, the fact remains that Jews practised the same form of Judaism in Israel 3000 years ago as they do today. That includes some forms of Gnostic, non-Orthodox Judaism. It's natural Jews should want to live there if they continue to be religious.

    Then you have the Roman period when Israel was a self-governing Roman province under Herod. That was around 10 A.D. The crucial point is this: Islam appeared on the scene quite late, around 600 A.D. I believe. That's over 1,600 years after the arrival of Judaism in the Middle East.

    History matters.

    The modern conflict in the Middle East has to do with religion, whether we like it or not, so atheists too have to try and understand these sensitivities. The Arabs led by Iran resent the presence of Israel (particularly Judaism) in a land they believe must be a totally Islamic sphere of influence. If you don't believe me, here is how George Galloway put it:

    "Two of your beautiful daughters are in the hands of foreigners - Jerusalem and Baghdad. The foreigners are doing to your daughters as they will. The daughters are crying for help, and the Arab world is silent."

    So, Galloway makes it clear here what his objection is: Jerusalem, he says, is the daughter of Islam and if the ancient historians disagree with that view, they can go and take a hike. I'd like to ask Galloway how come he arrives at that conclusion if Islam dates from 600 A.D., 1,500 years after Jews had already been doing their own thing in the same region. Jeruslalem is the historical daughter of Islam? Tell that one to Pliny!

    It hardly seems fair from the point of history.

    I just don't see why you don't recognise the rights of Israelis to reside in a democratic Jewish State but you have no gripe against Iran being an Islamic theocracy? Surely they both have the right to clas themselves as they wish. After all, Israel doesn't interfere in Iran's affairs or send out suicide bombers to Iran - not thus far.

    "You seem obssessed with Iran, what about the extra-judicial killings in Israel ?"

    How many Christian Churches are free to operate in Israel (which you claim is intolerant)? And Iran? Please read this:
    http://www.jubileecampaign.co.uk/world/ira1.htm
    "The following churches have been forced to close by the Iranian regime: 1. A building in Kerman and another in Ahwaz, both used by the Anglican and Presbyterian congregations in those cities; and the Assemblies of God Church in Gorgan. (This was the only evangelical church in the whole of Mazanderan province, and with its closure, there is nowhere for evangelical christians to worship.) Various church house-groups have also been closed down in Sari and Mashad and Ahwaz and the Christians there are strictly forbidden to meet."

    My question and this is the big one: How come you have done no research into Iran's religious persecutions and intolerance of minorities? I don't get it.

    "Not *all* jews were "scattered" around the Globe, some of them remained in Palestine."

    I think you already made it clear you have no problem over Jews living in the Middle East possibly under a dominant Islamic theocracy - that is, if they were allowed to stay at all which I seriously doubt. Specifically what seems to upset you is the idea of Israel exisiting as a self-governing Jewish State but I don't know why that should cause you so much grief. That's where I get lost in your grievance.

    "A cousin studied Arabic and spent some time with the Marsh Arabs in Southern Iraq (sometime before Saddam's onslaught on the region)."

    I have a friend in Spain who studied Egyptian Arabic at university. I never discussed any of this with him but probably we wouldn't agree.

    darkboong said:

    That must be because you choose ignore everything else I say Crappy.

    Hmm, I have, not here though. It's your point though, so it is up to you to prove that I have never criticised any other country. This thread already provides evidence to the contrary.

    What about them ? Surely that's wrong too.

    I don't have any such theory (or Hypothesis) to prove Crappy. As I have already pointed out, I have acknowledged these same crimes going on in other countries. For that reason you have no reason to make the claim that I am trying to prove that Israel is "uniquely bad and unjust".

    You seem obssessed with Iran, what about the extra-judicial killings in Israel ?

    Indeed, because I am talking what is going on in 2006. What is past is past, there is nothing we can do about it.

    Not *all* jews were "scattered" around the Globe, some of them remained in Palestine.

    Prove it.

    Doubtful. The reason why I follow the situation so closely is that Lawrence of Arabia was a childhood hero of mine. After reading the Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E.Lawrence (aka Lawrence of Arabia), learning about Arab nationalism on the way, I started paying attention to the situation in Lebanon (this was the late 70s and 80s).

    There were other influences too. My grandfather (the SoE guy) served the Foreign Office during the 50s through to the 70s, he served in a number of Muslim countries including Iraq, Oman and Indonesia. I was fascinated by the cine films that my Grandmother took in the area, the stories that they told (Mum also has a few stories of Baghdad in the 50s). A cousin studied Arabic and spent some time with the Marsh Arabs in Southern Iraq (sometime before Saddam's onslaught on the region). I remember being fascinated the pictures of their reed-boats and how they seemingly used the Adze for just about every task !

    That said I don't immerse myself in Arab culture by any stretch of the imagination, but I do watch what is going on there with an eagle eye. It is important to all of us here in the UK, because so much of our lives is dependent on Middle Eastern Oil.

  11. http://www.cswusa.com/Countries/Iran.htm
    "According to the Constitution, Islam is the state religion. Christianity, Judaism and Zoroastranism are recognized minority religions. The Bahai religion is not officially recognized, however, as Bahai’s are considered to be Islamic heretics. They therefore do not enjoy constitutional rights and
    suffer severe persecution.
    Everywhere, the citizen’s constitutional freedoms are crippled
    by references to such vague considerations as ‘the need to
    safeguard the interests of the state’. These qualifications allow the authorities to impose their own interpretations on the
    concepts concerned. The citizens’ freedom of expression ex-cludes the freedom to shed doubt on the divine nature of Islam. The Iranian constitution is based upon the interpretation of the Koran and the Shariah (Islamic) law. According to this law, the conversion of a Muslim to another religion is forbidden. Muslims convicted of apostasy are eligible for the death penalty. However, while proselytism is forbidden and apostasy is
    punishable by death, Article 23 directs that “the investigation of
    individuals’ beliefs is forbidden, and no one may be molested
    or taken to task simply for holding a certain beliefThe government alsorequires applicants to pass a test in Islamic theology, circumscribing the access of most religious minorities to higher education. Applicants for public sector employment are similarly required to meet certain standards of adherence to Islamic orthodoxy."

  12. This is what Darkboong wrote:

    ".....and Israel does not recognise their property ownership within the occupied territories). The accusations of denial of access to education, expropriation of property and the like bothers me, but the article doesn't provide any specific cases to back up it's accusations or give the reader any kind of picture of the scope and dates involved. You need to do much more digging I am afraid."

    So, fair point. There are injustices that need to be addressed. However, compare this with Iran. Here it is:
    http://www.cswusa.com/Countries/Iran.htm

    "According to this law, the conversion of a Muslim to another religion is forbidden. Muslims convicted of apostasy are eligible for the death penalty.
    The Armenian and Assyrian churches have been allowed to stay open because their services are conducted in the Armenian/Assyrian languages and because they have agreed to the government’s demands forbidding Muslims and Muslim converts from attending the church services and refraining from evangelism..... Several Christian leaders, mostly converts from Islamic backgrounds, have been executed or assassinated. The deaths which
    occurred in 1994 are particularly renowned and include Rev. Hussein Soodman, Mehdi Dibaj and Bishop Haik....Iran has earned itself an appalling reputation on the subject of human rights. Arbitrary detention, torture,
    disappearance, summary trial and execution are not uncommon."

  13. Carrera said:


    The reason I defend Israel has much to do with my perusal of ancient history and, I guess, a common sense awareness that you can't logically cut whole races of people off from their roots, without creating tensions.

    Sure, so why make excuses for cutting the Palestinian Gentiles off from their roots ? The only explanation that you have given is that you "believe" that Jews from all over the world have more rights to their alleged roots than Gentiles in Palestine. I disagree, I see no intrinsic value in a justification based on religion because I am an Atheist.

    Carrera said:


    No matter how much you might dismiss this point I make about ancient history, the fact remains that Jews practised the same form of Judaism in Israel 3000 years ago as they do today.

    Sure and while they were doing that Gentiles were doing their Gentile thing in Israel 3000 years ago as many of them can't do today. By definition Gentiles were doing their thing *before* Judaism even came into existence.

    Carrera said:


    The modern conflict in the Middle East has to do with religion, whether we like it or not, so atheists too have to try and understand these sensitivities.

    In the light of this revelation I find it quite ironic that I have expressed more interest in that matter than you. I bet that you haven't even bothered to read a single sentence of one of Menachem Froman's essays yet.

    Carrera said:


    So, Galloway makes it clear here what his objection is: Jerusalem, he says, is the daughter of Islam

    Ah, fundamental mistake here Crappy. Arabs != Islam. Islam != Arabs.

    Carrera said:


    It hardly seems fair from the point of history.

    It hardly seems relevent from the point of view of an Atheist.

    Carrera said:


    I just don't see why you don't recognise the rights of Israelis to reside in a democratic Jewish State but you have no gripe against Iran being an Islamic theocracy?

    Well, that's where you are wrong because I do have a gripe against any kind of Theocracy, as I have stated on numerous occasions, at least 3 of which you have ignored in this thread. It is no good lying about what I have said when it is there for everyone to see in this *very* thread.

    Carrera said:


    "You seem obssessed with Iran, what about the extra-judicial killings in Israel ?"

    How many Christian Churches are free to operate in Israel (which you claim is intolerant)? And Iran?

    What about the extra-judicial killings in Israel ?

    Carrera said:


    Please read this:
    http://www.jubileecampaign.co.uk/world/ira1.htm

    Why the hell should I ? You haven't shown any signs of reading my posts let alone the references I've lobbed your way. Nevermind, I have an open mind, unlike you, I'll read it...

    Have you taken a look at the dates ? Late-80d, Mid-90s. That looks like more history to me. Times change (hopefully). The Website itself doesn't even seem to link to that page anymore as far as I can tell, god only knows how Google found it.

    What about the extra-judicial killings in Israel ?

    Carrera said:


    My question and this is the big one: How come you have done no research into Iran's religious persecutions and intolerance of minorities? I don't get it.

    That is quite simple. I am not omnipotent and studying the Palestinian conflict has taken up most of my time. I have read reports on at least 1000 incidents of extra-judicial killings in the occupied territories within the last 5 years alone...

    Carrera said:


    "Not *all* jews were "scattered" around the Globe, some of them remained in Palestine."

    I think you already made it clear you have no problem over Jews living in the Middle East possibly under a dominant Islamic theocracy - that is, if they were allowed to stay at all which I seriously doubt.

    Actually I have stated that I don't think Theocracies are desirable. I tolerate them as a fact of life, but I certainly would not *want* anyone to live under a theocracy. I am very much in the minority here in the UK where the Church of England still holds sway.

    Carrera said:


    Specifically what seems to upset you is the idea of Israel exisiting as a self-governing Jewish State but I don't know why that should cause you so much grief. That's where I get lost in your grievance.

    Let's see...

    darkboong said:


    My beef with Israel is that it *continues* to kill and Ethnically cleanse thousands of people every year, and what's more Israel has invaded a neighbouring country.

    I don't see any mention of me having a beef with Israel being a "self-governing Jewish State" there. OTOH I have condemned all theocracies as being unjust, I categorically have *not* reserved my condemnation for "self-governing Jewish" states.

    darkboong said:


    "A cousin studied Arabic and spent some time with the Marsh Arabs in Southern Iraq (sometime before Saddam's onslaught on the region)."

    I have a friend in Spain who studied Egyptian Arabic at university. I never discussed any of this with him but probably we wouldn't agree.

    Gee, I wonder why he might not agree...

  14. "The only explanation that you have given is that you "believe" that Jews from all over the world have more rights to their alleged roots than Gentiles in Palestine."

    Sadly, this is where I may have been misunderstood as the bad guy. In actual fact, I do believe the Palestinians have rights and I'm also aware many of them have resided there for centuries.
    I don't object to a Palestinian State. I've stated that before.
    Furthermore, I don't say Jews have more rights than Palestinians. I say Jews have rights too and that the two sides should agree to live with their own borders as autonomous countries.
    I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

    darkboong said:

    Sure, so why make excuses for cutting the Palestinian Gentiles off from their roots ? The only explanation that you have given is that you "believe" that Jews from all over the world have more rights to their alleged roots than Gentiles in Palestine. I disagree, I see no intrinsic value in a justification based on religion because I am an Atheist.

    Sure and while they were doing that Gentiles were doing their Gentile thing in Israel 3000 years ago as many of them can't do today. By definition Gentiles were doing their thing *before* Judaism even came into existence.

    In the light of this revelation I find it quite ironic that I have expressed more interest in that matter than you. I bet that you haven't even bothered to read a single sentence of one of Menachem Froman's essays yet.

    Ah, fundamental mistake here Crappy. Arabs != Islam. Islam != Arabs.

    It hardly seems relevent from the point of view of an Atheist.

    Well, that's where you are wrong because I do have a gripe against any kind of Theocracy, as I have stated on numerous occasions, at least 3 of which you have ignored in this thread. It is no good lying about what I have said when it is there for everyone to see in this *very* thread.

    What about the extra-judicial killings in Israel ?

    Why the hell should I ? You haven't shown any signs of reading my posts let alone the references I've lobbed your way. Nevermind, I have an open mind, unlike you, I'll read it...

    Have you taken a look at the dates ? Late-80d, Mid-90s. That looks like more history to me. Times change (hopefully). The Website itself doesn't even seem to link to that page anymore as far as I can tell, god only knows how Google found it.

    What about the extra-judicial killings in Israel ?

    That is quite simple. I am not omnipotent and studying the Palestinian conflict has taken up most of my time. I have read reports on at least 1000 incidents of extra-judicial killings in the occupied territories within the last 5 years alone...

    Actually I have stated that I don't think Theocracies are desirable. I tolerate them as a fact of life, but I certainly would not *want* anyone to live under a theocracy. I am very much in the minority here in the UK where the Church of England still holds sway.

    Let's see...

    I don't see any mention of me having a beef with Israel being a "self-governing Jewish State" there. OTOH I have condemned all theocracies as being unjust, I categorically have *not* reserved my condemnation for "self-governing Jewish" states.

    Gee, I wonder why he might not agree...

  15. "Sure and while they were doing that Gentiles were doing their Gentile thing in Israel 3000 years ago as many of them can't do today. By definition Gentiles were doing their thing *before* Judaism even came into existence."

    The earliest religion was Canaanite and it wasn't Christian, Jewish or Islamic but polytheistic.
    However, you miss my point. George Galloway was basing his argument on Jerusalem being a daughter of Islam which is an argument based on religion, so far as I can see - This is our territory.
    Darkboong, the conflict is about religion. It's about my religion is better than yours e.t.c. and this is why religion is the cause of so many conflicts and the seeming inability to compromise. The Moslem moderates are willing to accept Israel and compromise. The radicals will not accept Israel ever so far as I can see.
    "Well, that's where you are wrong because I do have a gripe against any kind of Theocracy, as I have stated on numerous occasions."
    Show us the thread that corresponds to that statement? I'll be happy with any thread you raised that blasts either Syria, Iran, or Afghanistan for religious intolerance and where you visibly lament over wrongs committed in those countries. At least it would be a start.
    If any other poster knows of such a thread you wrote, please someone correct me.
    "Have you taken a look at the dates ? Late-80d, Mid-90s. That looks like more history to me."
    So, Iran has changed? If you like I'll forward some more recent accounts.
    "I am not omnipotent and studying the Palestinian conflict has taken up most of my time."
    That's hit the nail on the head. That's precisely my point. You loathe the very conception of Israel as a state and spend your time digging about for injustices and wrongs committed within that country to somehow prove Israel is a terrible country. Of course, I agree Israel isn't perfect and the U.S. isn't perfect either.
    However, I could do the same as you - devote my life to digging up accounts of torture, persecution and intolerance in Iran and then post "threads" to convince others Iran is an imposter regime e.t.c. Or I could dig up studies that show Iranians aren't actually Iranians at all and the list goes on.
    "What about the extra-judicial killings in Israel ?"
    What about the slaughter of whales in Japanese waters?
    "I don't see any mention of me having a beef with Israel being a "self-governing Jewish State" there."
    See the Gaza thread where you slipped up. I've quoted it 3 times where you stated the trouble with the Middle East is linked to a Jewish State being set up in a Moslem land. That's the same view as G Galloway.
    "OTOH I have condemned all theocracies as being unjust, I categorically have *not* reserved my condemnation for "self-governing Jewish" states."
    O.K. let'sget this clear. Please answer the following questions:
    (1) Do you accept Israel has a right to exist as an independent, autonomous democracy the national religion of which is Judaism (but includes rights for other religious groups)?
    (2) Do you accept the right of Iran to exist as an Islamic theocracy (with rights for minority religious groups).
    Basically, I accept both. I don't mind what Iran does or how Iran chooses to run its own affairs so long as Israel also has the same right to be left to run its own show.
    I also agreed Palestinians should have their own State and certainly don't object to that.
    That hardly makes me a radical and puits me more or less on a par with the U.N.

    darkboong said:

    Sure, so why make excuses for cutting the Palestinian Gentiles off from their roots ? The only explanation that you have given is that you "believe" that Jews from all over the world have more rights to their alleged roots than Gentiles in Palestine. I disagree, I see no intrinsic value in a justification based on religion because I am an Atheist.

    Sure and while they were doing that Gentiles were doing their Gentile thing in Israel 3000 years ago as many of them can't do today. By definition Gentiles were doing their thing *before* Judaism even came into existence.

    In the light of this revelation I find it quite ironic that I have expressed more interest in that matter than you. I bet that you haven't even bothered to read a single sentence of one of Menachem Froman's essays yet.

    Ah, fundamental mistake here Crappy. Arabs != Islam. Islam != Arabs.

    It hardly seems relevent from the point of view of an Atheist.

    Well, that's where you are wrong because I do have a gripe against any kind of Theocracy, as I have stated on numerous occasions, at least 3 of which you have ignored in this thread. It is no good lying about what I have said when it is there for everyone to see in this *very* thread.

    What about the extra-judicial killings in Israel ?

    Why the hell should I ? You haven't shown any signs of reading my posts let alone the references I've lobbed your way. Nevermind, I have an open mind, unlike you, I'll read it...

    Have you taken a look at the dates ? Late-80d, Mid-90s. That looks like more history to me. Times change (hopefully). The Website itself doesn't even seem to link to that page anymore as far as I can tell, god only knows how Google found it.

    What about the extra-judicial killings in Israel ?

    That is quite simple. I am not omnipotent and studying the Palestinian conflict has taken up most of my time. I have read reports on at least 1000 incidents of extra-judicial killings in the occupied territories within the last 5 years alone...

    Actually I have stated that I don't think Theocracies are desirable. I tolerate them as a fact of life, but I certainly would not *want* anyone to live under a theocracy. I am very much in the minority here in the UK where the Church of England still holds sway.

    Let's see...

    I don't see any mention of me having a beef with Israel being a "self-governing Jewish State" there. OTOH I have condemned all theocracies as being unjust, I categorically have *not* reserved my condemnation for "self-governing Jewish" states.

    Gee, I wonder why he might not agree...

  16. How's about we make some comparisons. First, the call by Ahmadinejad to re-assess the Hollocaust:
    http://www.spy.org.uk/drk/2006/03/nailing_the_big_lie.html
    "He also accused Europeans for not allowing "neutral scholars" to investigate in Europe and make a scientific report on "the truth about the fairy tale of Holocaust."
    Next, Iran's treatment of gays and lesbians:
    "The new wave of anti-gay repression in Iran came to world attention with the torture and hanging of two gay teenagers in the city of Mashad on July 19; they were each lashed 228 times before having the nooses placed around their necks."
    Here is 2 direct citations from Ahmadinejad:

    "I will stop Christianity in this country ... "

    "Do the removal of Israel before it is too late and save yourself from the fury of regional nations," the ultra-conservative president said.
    He once again called the Holocaust a "fairy tale" and said Europeans have become hostages of "Zionists" in Israel."

    darkboong said:

    Sure, so why make excuses for cutting the Palestinian Gentiles off from their roots ? The only explanation that you have given is that you "believe" that Jews from all over the world have more rights to their alleged roots than Gentiles in Palestine. I disagree, I see no intrinsic value in a justification based on religion because I am an Atheist.

    Sure and while they were doing that Gentiles were doing their Gentile thing in Israel 3000 years ago as many of them can't do today. By definition Gentiles were doing their thing *before* Judaism even came into existence.

    In the light of this revelation I find it quite ironic that I have expressed more interest in that matter than you. I bet that you haven't even bothered to read a single sentence of one of Menachem Froman's essays yet.

    Ah, fundamental mistake here Crappy. Arabs != Islam. Islam != Arabs.

    It hardly seems relevent from the point of view of an Atheist.

    Well, that's where you are wrong because I do have a gripe against any kind of Theocracy, as I have stated on numerous occasions, at least 3 of which you have ignored in this thread. It is no good lying about what I have said when it is there for everyone to see in this *very* thread.

    What about the extra-judicial killings in Israel ?

    Why the hell should I ? You haven't shown any signs of reading my posts let alone the references I've lobbed your way. Nevermind, I have an open mind, unlike you, I'll read it...

    Have you taken a look at the dates ? Late-80d, Mid-90s. That looks like more history to me. Times change (hopefully). The Website itself doesn't even seem to link to that page anymore as far as I can tell, god only knows how Google found it.

    What about the extra-judicial killings in Israel ?

    That is quite simple. I am not omnipotent and studying the Palestinian conflict has taken up most of my time. I have read reports on at least 1000 incidents of extra-judicial killings in the occupied territories within the last 5 years alone...

    Actually I have stated that I don't think Theocracies are desirable. I tolerate them as a fact of life, but I certainly would not *want* anyone to live under a theocracy. I am very much in the minority here in the UK where the Church of England still holds sway.

    Let's see...

    I don't see any mention of me having a beef with Israel being a "self-governing Jewish State" there. OTOH I have condemned all theocracies as being unjust, I categorically have *not* reserved my condemnation for "self-governing Jewish" states.

    Gee, I wonder why he might not agree...

  17. Carrera said:


    "The only explanation that you have given is that you "believe" that Jews from all over the world have more rights to their alleged roots than Gentiles in Palestine."

    Sadly, this is where I may have been misunderstood as the bad guy. In actual fact, I do believe the Palestinians have rights and I'm also aware many of them have resided there for centuries.
    I don't object to a Palestinian State. I've stated that before.
    Furthermore, I don't say Jews have more rights than Palestinians.

    Sadly that is untrue. You have categorically stated that Palestinians don't have the right to keep the land that the Jewish immigrants Ethnically Cleansed them from. The justification you have given for this (time and time again) is that the Jews have lived there before the Gentile Palestinians. You appear to ignore the fact that Gentiles lived side by side Jews at that time.

    Carrera said:


    I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

    I do not think that a two state solution is not practical or reasonable, as you should already know because I set out the case against it some time ago.

  18. Carrera said:


    How's about we make some comparisons. First, the call by Ahmadinejad to re-assess the Hollocaust:
    http://www.spy.org.uk/drk/2006/03/nailing_the_big_lie.html
    "He also accused Europeans for not allowing "neutral scholars" to investigate in Europe and make a scientific report on "the truth about the fairy tale of Holocaust."

    No one said that the President of Iran made sense on that issue. His statements are at odds with a significant section of the Iranian community.

    Carrera said:


    Next, Iran's treatment of gays and lesbians:
    "The new wave of anti-gay repression in Iran came to world attention with the torture and hanging of two gay teenagers in the city of Mashad on July 19; they were each lashed 228 times before having the nooses placed around their necks."

    Now there is some evidence of repression, sadly Iran is far from unique as far as persecution of homosexuals.

    Carrera said:


    Here is 2 direct citations from Ahmadinejad:

    "I will stop Christianity in this country ... "

    "Do the removal of Israel before it is too late and save yourself from the fury of regional nations," the ultra-conservative president said.
    He once again called the Holocaust a "fairy tale" and said Europeans have become hostages of "Zionists" in Israel."

    So far that is just rhetoric. Iran still hasn't invaded it's neighbours yet (unlike Israel) and you still haven't dug up any evidence of Iran practicing Ethnic Cleansing on 40% of it's population on the basis of religion yet (unlike Israel).

  19. I wonder if you actually read any of my posts where I tried to outline the history of the Middle East, in simple terms? Phew, this is hard work. :o
    For the last time, before my head spins 🙄
    Israel became a Roman Province after Jews revolted from the Romans. The Romans essentially kicked the Jews out and punished them for rebellion - the same tactics that were used against Greeks.
    This displaced most Jews from their homeland.
    The Palestinians moved into the region as a result of this. It's called ethnic shifting. Palestinians are the descendents of Turks, Mesopotamians, Romans, Italians and many different ethnic groups. They are not directly descended from Canaanites (although they do probably have minute traces of this ancestry as well as some Jewish blood). Most probably arrived in the years following the Jewish war.
    The same situation happened in Rome when Gauls and Germans finally displaced the Romans around 480 A.D. It would also be kind of foolish to suggest modern Italians are direct descendents of Julius Caesar after so many waves of immigration and displacements.
    Only the most die-hard Palestinian activists believe modern Palestinians are direct descendents of the semitic Canaanites.
    "The justification you have given for this (time and time again) is that the Jews have lived there before the Gentile Palestinians. You appear to ignore the fact that Gentiles lived side by side Jews at that time."
    I didn't say that. I said Islamic extremists justify their claim to Jerusalem on the basis of Islam being the principal religion and I dismissed that claim by pointing out Judaism is older than Islam by some 1,500 years. This is to do with culture and the Jewish culture is a very ancient one.
    Gentiles have always lived side by side with Jews but the Amorites and Philistines didn't wish to drive Jews out altogether as Islamic extremists do. Amorites and Philistines went on to intermarry with semites. There was never any problem till Islamic extremists began to develop the concept of the Middle East as being a purely Moslem land.

    darkboong said:

    Sadly that is untrue. You have categorically stated that Palestinians don't have the right to keep the land that the Jewish immigrants Ethnically Cleansed them from. The justification you have given for this (time and time again) is that the Jews have lived there before the Gentile Palestinians. You appear to ignore the fact that Gentiles lived side by side Jews at that time.

    I do not think that a two state solution is not practical or reasonable, as you should already know because I set out the case against it some time ago.

  20. Maybe I haven't explained this very well. Here is somebody else's account Have a read of what it oulines and note that Hadrian made Jerusalem a Pagan city, inviting immigrants into it to replace Jews. As Melanie Philips also points out, it was the Jews who were ethnically cleansed. I included a final part that mentions Arab conquest of Jerusalem:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Jerusalem
    "After the end of this first revolt, Jews continued to live in Jerusalem in significant numbers, and were allowed to practice their religion. In the second century, the Roman Emperor Hadrian began to rebuild Jerusalem as a pagan city while restricting some Jewish practices. Angry at this affront, the Judeans again revolted, led by Simon Bar Kokhba. Hadrian responded with overwhelming force, putting down the revolution, killing as many as a half million Jews, and resettling the city as a pagan polis under the name Aelia Capitolina. Jews were forbidden to enter the city but for a single day of the year, Tisha B'Av, (the Ninth of Av, see Hebrew calendar), when they could weep for the destruction of their city at the Temple's only remaining wall.
    Although the Qur'an does not mention the name "Jerusalem", the hadith specify that it was from Jerusalem that Muhammad ascended to heaven in the Night Journey, or Isra and Miraj. The city was one of the Arab Caliphate's first conquests in 638 CE; according to Arab historians of the time"

    darkboong said:

    Sadly that is untrue. You have categorically stated that Palestinians don't have the right to keep the land that the Jewish immigrants Ethnically Cleansed them from. The justification you have given for this (time and time again) is that the Jews have lived there before the Gentile Palestinians. You appear to ignore the fact that Gentiles lived side by side Jews at that time.

    I do not think that a two state solution is not practical or reasonable, as you should already know because I set out the case against it some time ago.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.